any natural cure for dysmenorrhea???

i'm desperate!!! i feel like i'm bein' punished whenever i have my period!!!! especially on the 1st two days. & bein' in school makes it all the more sooo sooo hard!!!are there any natural cures for dysmenorrhea that you know of? there are a lot of medicines but as much as possible, i'd like to stay away from those because it might lead to drug dependency.

thanks!!!

Comments

• annann kabute PExer
    exercise worked for me ... but see an ob/gyn anyway & ask ur mom to go with u ...
  • airaaira Member PExer
    yeah exercise works, and drink plenty of water especially at the time it attacks
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Menstrual cramping is not part of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), which is
    characterized by cyclical symptoms before a woman's period. Dysmenorrhea occurs when the uterus contracts strongly and frequently before or during menstruation. These muscle contractions cut off the flow of blood to the uterine muscle, depriving it of oxygen and causing pain.

These steps could help ease your periods pain-free:
    1. For short-term relief use over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and ketoprofen. These keep the uterus from producing hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which trigger uterine cramping.

2. Establish a regular exercise routine. Exercise boosts circulation and increases the blood supply to the uterine muscle, and helps the body produce endorphins that decrease pain.

3. Make your exercise routine proactive. Many women don't feel like exercising once painful cramping sets in. Regular exercise all month long can lessen the incidence and intensity of menstrual pain.

4. Soothe yourself. A heating pad and/or a hot bath can help relieve menstrual cramps.

5. Have an annual gynecological exam. It's important to distinguish between menstrual pain caused by uterine cramping and secondary dysmenorrhea, which may be a signal of a more serious condition. Yearly exams will rule out most problems, but don't hesitate to see your physician if menstrual pain is severe and persistent.

6. Increase natural calcium sources in your diet; for example, sesame seeds and dairy products. You may take supplemental calcium in combination with magnesium. Begin with 500 mg. calcium and 250 mg. magnesium (2:1 ratio).

7. Herbal teas. Effective teas have pharmacological properties and should be used in moderation. Preparation: one tablespoon of herb to one and a half cups of boiling water. Steep for 30-40 minutes. Reheat and drink.

8.Massage, acupressure, and chiropractics can give beneficial effects when used over a long period of time.

[This message has been edited by Ira (edited 11-17-1999).]
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Why is it that some girls experience dysmenorrhea and some don't?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    There are very few women who can truthfully claim they’ve never had dysmenorrhea. The majority of women are thought to experience some degree of dysmenorrhea. The only causes I could think of causing this difference in severity would be variations in mental (e.g.,a higher tolerance for pain) and physical (regular exercise, etc.) habits.
  • airaaira Member PExer
    So, that water therapy is not of any help? But it works for me, eh. And how about sour food consumption during the period? What I know is di pwedeng kumain ng salty, though I forgot why, true?
  • ZenZen Member PExer
    Pwede ko bang itulog na lang ang pain? ehehe.. chaka they say alcohol makes it flow? Is this true? :)
  • IraIra Member PExer
    aira: Whatever works for you...if it helps you, then by all means, take water. Salt retains water, and makes you bloated. Dysmenorrhea + Bloating = Woman From Hell.
  • blurredstarblurredstar Member PExer
    thanks!!!

^why do i usually experience/have it during my 1st / 2nd day? while others, like a friend of mine experience it during her 5th/6th/last day???

;0

[This message has been edited by blurredstar (edited 11-22-1999).]
  • IraIra Member PExer
    No one knows. Actually, explanations for menstrual cramping are still theories --they're not 100% sure yet if it really is because of oxygen deprivation in the uterus.
    So for now, the differences in days would have to be blamed on individual differences.
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Zen,

The alchohol thing is true. My friend drank beer once 'cause it wasn't "flowing normally." The beer worked so well that it just gushed out like a waterfall. Just be ready with your adult diapers. ;)
  • lilac_winelilac_wine daydream delusion PExer
    is it normal to have severe dysmenorrhea every other month or so? aside from the pain i experience cold sweat, dizziness, and vomiting. it gets pretty bad.
  • FannyPriceFannyPrice la vita e bella PExer
    hi,

in my personal experience, the water therapy works. the eight glasses a day thing, the benefits are real, including relief from menstrual pains.

if i don't get to practice that regularly and the pains are bad, drinking 500 ml of water (or more, but not so much na nakakasuka na) gives me instant relief.

but if the pain is really, really, really, REALLY BAAAAAD, you need to get to a doctor quick. a friend of mine found out hers was caused by a cyst.

one more solution to this is taking contraceptive pills. of course, this is not something you just do without consulting a gyno first, but while i was on the pill my heavy days felt no different from my normal days. and i'm actually looking forward to having my period because it became really regular :)
  • IraIra Member PExer
    lilac_wine: It's pretty hard to quantify what "sever dysmenorrhea" is. If you cannot tolerate the symptoms you are feeling, you should schedule a checkup with a gynecologist to make sure that it's really just regular dysmenorrhea and not something more serious.
  • cupid_spellcupid_spell Member PExer
    I understand what you feel coz am suffering that pain until now. Since my menstruation started, I had been suffering from that illness and of course I cant stand the pain that it led me sometimes to fainting. I tried taking Dolfenal 250 and to my surprise it releived the pain..until now am using it. But before this, I tried drinking beer as an experiment, it took only 5 mins and i was relieved....and i was surprised it went out so smooth that I even thought it had gone all out! hehehee...syempre my cycle is 6 days.
  • the only solution... exercise! :)

i used to suffer from dysmenorrhea, as in major cramps, back ache, stomach ache, the works. i tried every kind of herbal medicine (even chinese herbal medicine) but none of them worked. i signed up with a gym last october 2001 and i swear i don't feel any pain during my period.

hope this helps:)
  • anghelanghel Mrs. Edward Cullen PExer
    doc ira, doc BU at sa lahat ng docs dito:

i really have this dysmenorrhea pain talaga, however, ok naman sya kapag nagte-take ako ng ibuprofen (preferably Midol). kaya lang, me side effect ito sa akin recently (over a year now), kapag ti-nake ko ito ay namamaga (or nako-close) ang isang mata ko. but i need ibuprofen to help me through this one week dysmenorrhea.

is this a problem? actually, before, when i was in my early teens ala namang problem sa ibuprofen but as I said, recently, me problema nga. somebody told me to switch to mefenamic acid pero me gastritis naman ako. is there anything that i can take which cannot be a problem to my eyes. Help.

and napapansin ko bakit karamihan iyung mga girls na me 5 to 7 days menstrual cycle ang nagkakaroon ng dysmenorrhea?

thanks doc...:)
  • batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator ✭✭
    The solution is to take the mefenamic acid with meals so that the gastritis is less of a problem. I would defninitely avoid the ibuprofen from this point on since you may get a more severe allergic reaction from it in the future.
  • anghelanghel Mrs. Edward Cullen PExer
    thanks BU anyway concern lang ako doon sa sinabi mo na "you may get a more severe allergic reaction from it in the future." like what po ba? mejo nakakatakot yun ah....
  • batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator ✭✭
    I meant anaphylaxis, which is a severe type of allergic reaction and manifests as difficulty of breathing, wheezing, lightheadedness, low blood pressure and could be life-threatening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file