Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Instant VS. Delayed Gratification

I just graduated from a good university and am planning to proceed to law school sometime middle to end of this year.

I am really plagued by doubt sometimes as to whether it really IS worth it slaving for 4 years in law school plus having to hurdle a notorious national examination (BAR Exams) as opposed to just signing up with any of the numerous call centers around that already offer you a starting salary of 15-20k a month.

Some law students that I have spoken with say that law is "delayed gratification" as opposed to the "instant gratification" one gets when one immediately plunges into the jungle that is work immediately after one graduates.

But the question is- is the "delayed gratification" REALLY WORTH IT IN THE END? Some say that lawyers don't really get THAT high a salary compared to others, etc. Others even say that going abroad as a contract worker is more profitable than law, etc.

To all the lawyers, law students, people planning to apply to law school, people who opted not to finish law school, people who finished law school but opted not to take the bar, etc. .... your thoughts on this?

Comments

• ANO BA ANG PLANO MO TALAGA SA BUHAY? Dapat kasi may road plan ka eh wag ka talon lang ng talon. I mean ako always kong ambition maging broker or financial manager so I went to a work for a bank even if the salary is lower than call centers. So kung may balak ka mag law eh di mag LAW SCHOOL ka na wag kang titingin sa sweldo-sweldo na yan. Kasi kung tutuusin yung 15k-20k kulangot pa yan you could be even worth more than that you know.
  • moonshinemoonshine PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^Agree. What is your priority? Are you looking to start earning now, or looking to acquire skills that will serve you in the long term? Call centers are indeed booming in the country, but always remember this is dependent on demand and can easily take a downturn---say, if India is able to provide cheaper yet equally competent manpower. This is okay, though, if you are looking to get employed right now and start saving up. If you are looking to go to work abroad or migrate in the future, I suggest you research about professions/ jobs that they need over there before you even undertake any further studies. Some countries who are hiring offshore professionals have specific professions in mind, depending on their country's need: for example, Singapore needs IT people---look in the Filipinos Everywhere thread and you will see the particular IT demands in Singapore there. Nurses and Teachers are needed in the U.S. Australia needs farm managers, accountants, lab technicians. You'd be surprised, there are even some countries are in need of hairdressers and forklift operators...!
    A law degree might not help abroad since laws there are not the same, and you would have to study again and take certification to practice your law degree.
  • Instant versus delayed gratification. You can also take the middle ground. Take the call center job for a year or two and after that decide if you really want to go to law school.
  • I've got it all, but I feel so deprived
    I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside
    Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing
    And why can't I let it go

There's gotta be more to life...
    Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
    Cause the more that I'm...
    Tripping out thinking there must be more to life
    Well it's life, but I'm sure... there's gotta be more
    Than wanting more

I've got the time and I'm wasting it slowly
    Here in this moment I'm half way out the door
    Onto the next thing, I'm searching for something that's missing

i'm wanting more
    I'm always waiting on something other than this
    Why am I feelin' like there's something I missed.....

imortality. its yours....
  • KarasuKarasu PEx Rookie ⭐
    tidus1203: I guess you have a point.

I forgot to mention in my starting post that I've always wanted to be a lawyer. I'm not really aiming for the money, per se. It's just that many people around me always seems to be preoccupied with work and earning something (after graduation), being already able to "ease" their family's expenses by becoming at least "semi-independent" while I have to "burden" my parents with another 4 years of law pa.

My mom is all for it. She says "sige aral ka lang ng aral", but my dad still has reservations. I guess he's more..errr.. pragmatic about such things. He actually advocates I go into marine engineering (taking it as a second undergraduate course for at least 2 years) and going abroad as a contractual worker. He insists most overseas contract workers earn more than the average lawyer in the Philippines. And he proceeds to enumerate some family friends who are lawyers who still haven't been able to buy new cars, comparing them with himself who has been able to buy a new Adventure, etc. He even insists that only lawyers who are part of the BAR topnotchers (or top ten) get successful in the legal profession. I don't know if he has something against lawyers. :D But I think it's pretty unfair for him to generalize. After all, not everything in life is about money; I just don't know if he can accept the idea easily. But eventually, he did say that if I really wanted to go into law, he'd still support me and all. I'm just afraid he'd become bitter because I didn't follow the path he wanted. He even drops hints here and there how I'd "regret my decision later in life, etc." It's becoming quite annoying already sometimes! We actually talked about it already, but he just doesn't seem to quit. :(

moonshine: You are so right.

What could easily "go up" could just as easily "go down"- the demand, that is. Migrating/working abroad is not really a primary goal of mine or anything, but I don't deny the idea does seem fascinating. I like the legal profession because all companies (I would like to think so), whether local, multinational, etc. always have a legal department. Even international non-profit organizations have legal departments. I guess what I mean is, with or without the "boom" in certain industries or their necessity in other countries, I can always find a niche where good lawyers are needed if I only know how to look. I guess, working for the legal departments of companies is what I've always thought of as a goal.

Krakista: You have a good point.

If I really do want something, I'd probably still want it after, say a few years. Actually, some people I know have already suggested this. But I'm just afraid that after having worked for a few years, I'd totally lose interest in pursuing any post graduate studies whatsoever. I have a blockmate and friend from college who graduated ahead of me and was able to work for more tha a year in a call center and she said the prospect of pursuing postgraduate studies still interested her (actually, she wanted to go to medical school) but she laughed that her brain feels like it's devoid of any substantial matter needed to tackle med. school; to quote her, "...nabobobo na ko after so long a time from school..baka hindi ko na kaya..parang ala na nga akong maalala sa mga diniscuss sa calculus class natin eh"<-- err... she's a medical physics major; she says she has some confidence issues already... :(

N.B.

I'm a Philosophy major. So I guess, my career options are sort of limited- unless of course I decided to take up another undergraduate course, e.g. nursing, IT, etc. Some friends even teased me that if ever I don't get successful in law, I could always become a priest. :P
    SILENTMAX wrote:
    when you aim for something more. when you aim for an ideal. youre destiny's possibilties will become endless.

This reminds me of this Batman trailer with Liam Neeson in it. "...when you devote yourself to an ideal, you become much more than a man".... or some such thing...

Thanks for the inspiring words SILENTMAX.

Btw, it sounds like a song.... :D
  • yeah i think thats where i heard that from. always recharge your inspirational batteries. it gets run down after a while. i always try to remember inspitrational words and always note it down whenevr u come by it. couse inertly we are all pessimistic people.
  • In my humble opinion, NEVER EVER TRADE SHORT TERM GAINS FOR LONG TERM GAINS. I thought it only applies in the world finance and investments, pero sa buhay din pala.
  • and, not to offend call center peeps, if you get in there, you won't learn much. compare that with law school.

or, if you are seriously considering the two, do both:

-- since most of these call center things are on graveyard shifts, law school by day [wag ka nga lang mag-full load if that's applicable i dunno], call center by night.
    -- recently i've seen call centers offering part-time positions. attend law school anyway, and try the work part time.

that's so you won't feel you missed out on anything lang.

depende pa rin sa komporme mo.

:crazytongue:

@SILENTMAX: Uy stacie!
    SILENTMAX wrote:
    I've got it all, but I feel so deprived
    I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside
    Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing
    And why can't I let it go

There's gotta be more to life...
    Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
    Cause the more that I'm...
    Tripping out thinking there must be more to life
    Well it's life, but I'm sure... there's gotta be more
    Than wanting more

I've got the time and I'm wasting it slowly
    Here in this moment I'm half way out the door
    Onto the next thing, I'm searching for something that's missing

i'm wanting more
    I'm always waiting on something other than this
    Why am I feelin' like there's something I missed.....

• Karasu wrote:
    but she laughed that her brain feels like it's devoid of any substantial matter needed to tackle med. school; to quote her, "...nabobobo na ko after so long a time from school..
    Learning does not stop after school. Pick up some good books and read everyday. It will keep your mind active.
    Thanks for the reply guys! :)

Probably, if I do decide to proceed to law, I'll try to focus on it 100% na lang. Some friends who are law students say scary stuff about how rigorous law can be, e.g. almost no time to sleep or no social life, several inches thick of readings which will be discussed within one meeting only (and that's for only one subject), once per semester do or die oral recitation, do or die final exams, etc. :D

But I guess if you put your heart into it, anything is possible.