Ortho Evra - Contraceptive Patch

Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma ✭✭
I am about to start using the Ortho-Evra patch after a thorough discussion with my gynecologist. I really can't remember to take the pill and depo-provera or IUD doesn't sound very appealing to me either so the 3x a month patch change is the best option for me.

Even if I discussed the possible side effects with my doctor, I'd like to know the thoughts and experiences of the people here who are currently taking or have taken this form of birth control. Thanks.

Comments

• riAbabyriAbaby Ya need heals? ✭✭✭
    i've tried it for a month before (now i'm on depo-provera). anyway, okay naman sya. i never experienced any side-effects from using it. it was effective naman when used correctly. nag-switch lang ako ng birth control kasi kumakati yung skin ko pag naka-stick sya sa akin and it gets wrinkled and peels ng konti (but it stays on naman).
  • skibunnyskibunny Member PExer
    Ice Burn, what are the known side effects of the patch?

I might consider the patch since I don't like pills. I've tried 2 different types of pills (one of which supposedly has a diuretic effect) and stopped taking both due to this constant bloated feeling.
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma ✭✭
    According to the site...

The most frequent adverse events leading to discontinuation in 1.0% to 2.4% of women included nausea and/or vomiting, application site reaction, breast symptoms*, headache, and emotional lability.

Common side effects may occur when you start using ORTHO EVRA, but they tend to decrease over time and may gradually disappear. In clinical trials, the most common side effects women experienced were breast symptoms, a reaction of the site of application, headache, nausea, upper respiratory infection, and menstrual cramps.

*Breast symptoms include pain, tenderness, and engorgement.

Important safety facts: The contraceptive patch contains hormones similar to those in birth control pills. Hormonal contraceptives are not for everybody. Most side effects of the contraceptive patch are not serious and those that are, occur infrequently. Serious risks, which can be life threatening, include blood clots, stroke or heart attacks and are increased if you smoke cigarettes. Cigarette smoking increases the risk of serious cardiovascular side effects, especially if you are over 35. Women who use hormonal contraceptives are strongly advised not to smoke. Some women should not use the contraceptive patch, including women who have blood clots, certain cancers, a history of heart attack or stroke, as well as those who are or may be pregnant. The contraceptive patch does not protect against HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases.

www.orthoevra.com
  • foxxxxyfoxxxxy Uh Oh! PExer
    I've used Ortho Evra patch for about 6 months. So far it didn't give me any side effects. I got regular periods pa after using it. I'd say I recommend this contraceptive because its hassle free and very very easy to use. I've been on depo provera shots and I was bloated for a year. The patch I can say is one of the best I've tried. Sayang nga eh I just stopped since its not available here in Pinas (I used to take it when I was still in the US).
  • foxxxxyfoxxxxy Uh Oh! PExer
    oh yeah I forgot to mention you should stop or lessen your smoking (if ever you do) when using the patch. That's what my OB GYN told me.
  • yawgmothswillyawgmothswill Member PExer
    question, what are the restrictions for the patch? can the guy ejaculate inside you, or is that a no-no? thanks
  • witty_galwitty_gal Simpleng Mamamayan PExer
    I was on Depo 2 years ago but changed to Orthoevra. With Depo, I gained a lot of weight and really hate that big needle on my tusch but with Orthoevra, I was able to shed a few and get my regular menstruation.

I would say I really like it alot. Just change it every week, patch free for one week and that's it.

It's also highly recommended by my gynecologist.
  • sassyboosassyboo Member PExer
    foxxxxy wrote:
    oh yeah I forgot to mention you should stop or lessen your smoking (if ever you do) when using the patch. That's what my OB GYN told me.

sis, available na sya dito sa Pinas. just bought one yesterday at Mercury drug. PhP555 for 3 patches :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file