[MERGED] Tooth Extraction (Bunot)

i just recently had a tooth extraction kindly tell me what are the things to do after the extraction i have been gargling mild water with salt is that ok?
and im planning on having a porcelain dentures then when i have enough money i'll have a fixed bridge

is dentures first tpos pagnaka ipon fixed bridge pwede? and saan ba ako pwede mag pa fixed bridge sa professional dentist
and give me some steps in caring for my extracted tooth thank you and god bless =)

Comments

• smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator ✭✭✭
    After having a tooth extracted, you should

1. NOT gargle for at least 6 hours after the procedure. Gargling will lead to an increase in bleeding. I've encountered a case before wherein the patient bled a pitcher full of blood because he does not want to follow the dentist's instructions (he won't stop gargling)

2. NOT brush your teeth 6 hours immediately after extraction. If you brush the area, the blood clot will get dislodged and the site will bleed and not heal properly. After 6 hours, you can brush your teeth.

3. NOT eat anything HOT or Hard. The heat will encourage bleeding, which we don't want.

4. NOT touch the wound. Touching the wound could lead to infection. Just leave it alone, it will heal by itself.

5. Properly follow your dentist's instructions with regards to medication. If you were prescribed antibiotics, please follow the instructions properly.

6. You can place cold compress ( ice placed in a bag) over the cheek where the tooth extracted is located

7. I'm curious, usually a dentist will give you instructions after removing a tooth. I'm sure he or she verbalized the abovementioned instructions to you, right?

----

Before I answer your question with regards to whether a removable or a fixed denture can be made, may I ask how many teeth are missing in the jaw (upper or lower) you plan to have dentures on.
  • lonelyguy4ulonelyguy4u Member PExer
    4 are missing in the upper right jaw and 3 are missing in the lower left jaw i asked a dentist here and she told me na kailangan ko daw ng 5 units for my upper right jaw im getting paranoid kc ayaw ko na mawalan p lalo ng tooth thats why im resorting to porcelain dentures muna tpos pag nakaipon fixed bridge
    and can i ask you how much ang porcelain dentures and when it can be wear?
    and ang porcelain fixed bridge

and i just asked the dentist kung how much ang dentures and kung ano ang magandang type tpos ang sabi ang dami ko raw tanong =( tpos nagalit sa akin

saka saan magandang magpagawa ng dentures? yung qulaity and fixed bridge din thank you and god bless
    Porcelain teeth on removable dentures generates larger amounts of force, slightly a bit more than what the underlying gums and bone could support. It's better to go with removable dentures with acrylic (plastic teeth). During chewing, it's the acrylic teeth which give way rather than having the brunt of force concentrated on the gums and bone.

Removable dentures either come either in a pure acrylic (plastic) base or with a combined metal and plastic base. Unless you have a complete denture ( meaning all the teeth are gone and the jaw will be completely covered with a denture), its better to choose the one with a metal framework.

A removable denture with a metal framework could cost somewhere between P7,000 to P14,000 to P20,000 these days, depending on the quality of material used.

For fixed (cemented) dentures, either Pure metal or Porcelain-fused-to-metal are the optimal choice. Acrylic (plastic) fixed bridges tend to break, discolor and attain a foul smell so avoid them. They work fine as temporary bridges, but they will need to be replaced later.

One unit (one tooth) of a porcelain-fused-to-metal bridge costs about P6,000 to P10,000 to P15,000 a unit depending on the quality of porcelain used. The more teeth that need to be replaced, the higher the cost. You also have to count the number of teeth to which the bridge will be cemented to.

Try:
    Dr. Melanie Ruth Karganilla-Frange or Dr. Winston Yap Cham or Dr. Charlie Atienza
    I'm an orthodontist.

A lot of what I do, if not most of what I do deals with Orthodontics ( braces, appliances, headgears, moving teeth, redirecting the growth of jaws when possible). Only when necessary do I do other dental procedures.
    so doc whats the best type of denture you can recomend for me muna kc as of now im jobless im seeking a job soon so what kind of dentures is good for me?
    ^^
    A removable denture would be more practical for you at this time.

You might want to go to UP Dentistry (Dental School of UP Manila) along Padre Faura Manila, close to Robinson's PLace Ermita on June 7 (start of the 1st semester). Treatment is NOT free, but at least it's significantly cheaper since the school is subsidized by the government and dentures are made by dental students supervised by the licensed dental faculty.

Since it's a school, the time it takes to finish treatment takes much longer. What can be done in days in a clinic takes weeks or months to finish in a dental school as every procedure needs to be checked by the faculty before progressing.
    i mean what type of removable denture? porcelain? plastic?
    ^^
    Ok, a removable acrylic (plastic) denture with acrylic (plastic) teeth with or without a metal framework (the choice is yours).
  • talipandas9talipandas9 Bigaon ever... ✭✭✭
    This is not a paid reply or anything but I must say, lonelyguy4u okay ang mga advice ni sir smilewarrior. I'm saying this because you could easily say that I've been there, done that. Hirap din ako sa budget when I needed to have my partial removable acrylic dentures done last February of this year. I had to settle for the partial removable acrylic dentures kasi it turned out to be the most affordable for me.

Do follow your dentist's advice. I was advised to gargle almost 24 hours after my extraction just to be sure. Besides, I was no longer aware of the time that have elapsed since my extraction since I opted for total sedation for my tooth extraction of 7 teeth. I have a severe case of dental phobia.

The saline gargle (in semi-warm water which you can stand in your mouth) will help in healing the wound from the extraction. Ako, I hated it because of the salty taste but I had no choice. I hope your wounds would heal soon. In my case, I had my "measurement" for my dentures almost 5 weeks after my extraction just because my wounds did not dry up easily (I wonder why smilewarrior). To top it all, since I did not have my misaligned teeth removed (since they were still okay), the dentist had a hard time coming up with the perfect fitting dentures for me that's why I ended up finally having my dentures after another 2 weeks or a full 7 weeks since my extraction. Inabot din kasi ako ng Christmas holidays nung time na yun eh.

I really hope your wounds will heal soon.

smilewarrior Is it possible to still have braces for my misaligned teeth even though I'm wearing dentures already? I'm still working hard to save enough for my braces if ever. Medyo expensive siya kasi eh. Thanks.
    ^^
    Hello again talipandas9. Congratulations on finally conquering your fear of dentists. You just needed to get your feet wet, now your on your way. Good for you.

In time, your wounds will heal. Are you still gargling with saline? Perhaps it's time to stop this as I'm assuming it's been more than several months since you had your teeth removed (am I right?).

I mean no disrespect, but for as far as I know gargling with saline is not something typically prescribed nowadays after surgical procedures. Still, I'm no expert with oral surgery as I'm an orthodontist. I mostly refer surgical procedures to an oral surgeon. Perhaps it won't really do harm, for as long as it's not done immediately after the procedure as it could lead to dislodgement of the blood clot. If that happens, the wound won't heal properly. It's perfectly fine to gargle 24 hours after.

It's a bit tedious, though not impossible for you to have braces even if you have a denture. The tedious thing for the orthodontist is your denture might need to be trimmed little by little to allow your other teeth to move. I can't really tell how difficult since I can't examine you physically.

Do tell me where you want to go to have your teeth examined and I'll refer you to an orthodontist for a consultation.
    ^^smilewarrior Yes, I'm through with gargling the saline solution. I've had my extraction (under total sedation) last December and the dentist was finally able to start fitting my dentures by the last week of January until I finally got my dentures last Feb 1. It takes a while to get used to wearing dentures but in a few days, it will be four months already - how fast time flies.

Ahh... I think I'm not ready yet for any dental surgery within the next 5 years. Being totally sedated plus having new dentures totally emptied my savings account! :naughty: Anyway, it's worth it.

Okay, I'll just consult you again regarding the braces when I finally have the budget and courage again to undergo a "dental procedure". For now, I think I'm just looking forward to a prophylaxis.

Keep on helping those who need answers about dental issues. You're really helpful along with Misa Hayase{/b] who's also an active dentist here at PEX.
  • Misa HayaseMisa Hayase Member PExer
    HI talipandas! So THAT's what happened to you! Buti naman your appointments pushed through.

I'll just add to some of the DONTs:
    Do not sip through a straw after your extraction... If you are eating ice cream, don't get ice candy, ice drop. And... don't smoke. What do these have in common? They all involve sucking... which creates negative pressure... which disrupts the blood clot in your socket...which causes more bleeding.

Plus: No forceful spitting. No strenuous activity for the the rest of the day. When sleeping, keep the head slightly elevated.

I've recently handled quite a number of patients going to the ER of the hospital past midnight because either:

1)Their dentists didn't give them proper post-operative instructions.
    2)They had post-op instructions but they didn't follow it.

One patient even travelled all they way from Paranaque to Taft avenue in Manila because they didn't know what to do to stop the bleeding.
    At the first sign of uncontrollable bleeding, the first thing you do is to bite on a piece of moistened gauze for about 20 minutes. Change it if it gets soaked easily, then bite on another fresh piece again. It's important to maintain direct pressure on the wound. If it won't stop then that's the time you head for the ER.
    ^^
    Very true.
    its been 1 week na since my extraction...pero di ko masipilyo yung ipin near the extracted tooth kc pag cpilyo k nag bleed sya saka bakit ganun yung extracted tooth parang hindi deretso yung [ag heal nya saka kailangan k p rin ba pag patuloy yung pag gargle ng salt and mild water
    HI talipandas! So THAT's what happened to you! Buti naman your appointments pushed through.

I'll just add to some of the DONTs:
    Do not sip through a straw after your extraction... If you are eating ice cream, don't get ice candy, ice drop. And... don't smoke. What do these have in common? They all involve sucking... which creates negative pressure... which disrupts the blood clot in your socket...which causes more bleeding.

Plus: No forceful spitting. No strenuous activity for the the rest of the day. When sleeping, keep the head slightly elevated.

I've recently handled quite a number of patients going to the ER of the hospital past midnight because either:

1)Their dentists didn't give them proper post-operative instructions.
    2)They had post-op instructions but they didn't follow it.

One patient even travelled all they way from Paranaque to Taft avenue in Manila because they didn't know what to do to stop the bleeding.
    At the first sign of uncontrollable bleeding, the first thing you do is to bite on a piece of moistened gauze for about 20 minutes. Change it if it gets soaked easily, then bite on another fresh piece again. It's important to maintain direct pressure on the wound. If it won't stop then that's the time you head for the ER.

Thanks Misa. I agree with what you said about some dentists not giving their patents proper post-operative procedures. Gosh, the dentist who did my multiple tooth extraction did not bother to tell me what to do. Buti na lang I still had my ever reliable mom and other members of my family to tell me what to do and what not to do. To think I paid a dear sum to the dentist for my totally sedated extraction procedure.

One thing pa: I felt a harsh, sore throat upon waking up from sedation. I did not know why until I called my dentist when I reached home. She told me that she inserted a tube to keep my mouth open while I was sedated. Ang sakit sobra! It took about 5 days before the pain subsided. Pero, nevertheless, kain pa rin ako ng usual kinakain ko and suwerte naman di ako nagkaroon ng bleeding. It also gave me an excuse to indulge in ice cream! :)

Regarding the needed rest after the procedure, well I still did my usual house cleaning the following day. It's a good thing nothing bad (excessive bleeding or what have you) happened to me.

lonelyguy4u I remember I still brushed the extracted portions but I brushed it really softly and slowly. You can't apply the usual pressure or else it will really bleed.

By the way, regarding tooth extractions, will it always bring about an ugly looking cut in the gum line? The front tooth extracted from me caused a big cut in my gum line which is way ugly when I'm not wearing my dentures. Sabi kasi nung dentist ko, super lalim daw ng root ng tooth ko kaya she had no choice but to cut through the gum line.
    uhm...can i eat rice now because i have been eating lugaw for 1 week na
    @talipandas9:
    The gingiva (gums) is merely a "blanket" which mirrors the shape of the bone underneath. I guess the reason why it appears the way it does is possibly because of the amount of bone destruction associated with the infected tooth removed, if it was indeed infected.

@lonelyguy4u:
    Was your extraction difficult or easy? (Nahirapan ba yung dentista sa pagtanggal nung ipin o sandali lang ay nabunot na ang ipin)?

If what you had was odontectomy, then what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

If what you had, on the other hand, was a simple tooth extraction and it's already been 1 week, then I suggest you start eating what you normally eat. Your body needs the nutrients in order for the wound to heal properly. Going on a restricted diet is not a good idea.

Stop the saline rinse. It won't be much use anyway. You need to brush the area and ignore the bleeding. Don't brush it harshly (yung parang nilalagare mo ito). All you need are gentle strokes (para ka lang nagwawalis ng sahig).

Assuming you have no blood problems, in 1 weeks time, it will heal completely.
    uhm di naman matagal yung pagtanggal ng teeth sandali lang sya nabunot 3 roots pa nga. and whats a odontectomy?
    saka pag check ko sya using my tongue medyo masakit...
    normal po ba ito saka feeling ko di pantay yung pag heal nya kc parang may bumb ng konti yung gums k...
    thank you so much smile warrior i wish all dentist are like you =)
    Odentectomy refers to the surgical removal of impacted teeth such as wisdom teeth or other teeth (meaning an incision or cut was made using a surgical blade, a surgical window was opened and later a suture [tahi] was used to close the wound).

Perhaps what you have is Dry Socket. It's a condition wherein the blood clot got dislodged. The bony socket where the tooth used to be is tender to the touch. It can happen if you gargle immediately and repeatedly ( for example , 5 to 10 times within 1 hour) after having the tooth removed.

If you leave it alone, it will heal by itself, or you can go back to the dentist, have him examine it, and if indeed what you have is dry socket you can have a Zinc Oxide Eugenol dressing placed after the area is debrided (meaning "kakayurin") by the dentist (with anesthesia of course) if indeed you have Dry Socket.

If the extraction was very easy, the occurence of complications is highly unlikely.

Give it a week or two. If it's still problematic, go back to the dentist or go to another dentist for a 2nd opinion.

If you leave it alone, it will heal by itself.

If you start to develop a fever and begin to develop a foul taste in your mouth, that is something else. Do see your dentist if this occurs. But please, just leave the wound alone for now.

Hopefully, you'll feel better soon.
  • WindangelWindangel I am the wind PExer
    omg..kung ganyan ang mangyayari i'll have many sleepless nights...
    pero nung nabunot naman tooth ko wala naman syang ginamit na knife o tinahi sana nga po..kc one week na syang..parang maliit na hole... =(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file