Home PEx Business and Careers Pinoy Accountancy
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Batsilyer ng Agham sa Pagtutuos

edited April 2019 in Pinoy Accountancy
Mayroon ba sa inyong kumukuha ng programang Batsilyer ng Agham sa Pagtutuos???

Comments

• ako po kumukuha.
  • Bsa 2005
    Ust-amv
    :D:D:D
  • Batch2004 here.
  • ako tga slu ako. 5 years na rin ba ang program niyo? parang gusto kong lumipat ng la salle ah! ang taas ng passing rate nila. (I wish i can afford). Ano kaya yung mga books na ginagamit nila?
  • ^^^
    yung mga books na nabibili sa cunanan.
  • yikes... di namin like masyado ang accounting...

If its from Ateneo, it must be good!
  • yikes... di namin like masyado ang accounting...

If its from Ateneo, it must be good!

Way to go, girl!
  • ^^^
    yung mga books na nabibili sa cunanan.

Ung kay Valix Din?
  • Hi guys, I'm planning to take up accountancy for college (my 1st choice is DLSU-M since I want to graduate early). The thing is, a lot of people are telling me that it's a very demanding course. A lot of people either shift out from the program or simply fail the qualifying(?) exams.

So what does it take to finish a course such as BS Accountancy? Do I need to be good in math? logic? english?

Do you think it is better than Business Administration/Management? As of now, it's a toss between the two.

HELP! :(
  • hi, don't mind what other people say about your career path the important thing is that you are decided and willing to take the challenges.. Being an accountancy student is enjoyable if you are going to take it seriously..

Just love what you are doing, and be firm on what you want you'll see it has great rewards...;)
  • Oh yeah.. you need to be good at them..

You need to be balanced with your major and minor courses.. be good at them to finish the program, but in terms of the accounting subject, you need to be good at analyzing information and stuffs, and applying what you will learn once you started the course. You really need to study hard, very hard. It's a field full of sophistications and complexities, thus, you need to keep in mind and master the basics..

In the accounting course, you would just use the 4 basic operations, but still you have to finish some math courses.. You also need to be good in english, some uses tricky words and grammar for the problems.

It depends on your perception whether BA/Management or Accountancy is better then the other. Its not right to discriminate or judge the other..

but what the heck, if you are really determined.. just go on!! stay focused and firm.. Studying accountancy isn't just about books and studying, you can still have fun while studying! just keep it balanced.. Goodluck *okay*
  • curiousercuriouser PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hmm. My two cents, as I've seen both sides.

I agree with mikagiyasuo02. Accounting is about analysis, more than anything else. You have to have an eye for detail. You also have to be a stickler for rules and guidelines. These will definitely help you out. As for the benefits, accounting gives you a unique business sense that the other disciplines (i.e. marketing, operations, sales, human resources, IT etc.) don't. It gives you an appreciation of what makes up the numbers, and this will ultimately decide whether you are going to stay in business for long or not.

As for Management, it's a generalist role - so if you're not quite sure what you want to take up, it gives you a broad perspective of what's available out there. You're going to get a snapshot of how it takes to set up a business - and along the way, you're supposed to focus on one aspect that will appeal to you (in my experience, most people usually take on marketing/sales roles). The benefits? Well, it depends on your extra-curriculars, I think. If you can demonstrate a strength that parallels the discipline you want to focus on, that will serve as "work experience" and that's an edge over others when it comes to being hired - and that's when you can play your cards in the corporate world.

Ultimately, accountants have a more limited view of business management as a whole, but they understand it in ways that most management students don't.

As for math, logic, or english -- English knowledge helps because the terms can be quite intricate (and accountancy is a good pre-law course because you have business law and taxation units) while Logic is a must-have. Math, however, is not so much a priority. I know of people who were stellar performers in math, and yet, were not so good performers in accountancy subjects.

On a last, yet minor note, why do you want to graduate early? I enjoyed my college life. Sure, there were low points with those high points, but the memories I have remind of how good those times were. Sometimes, I wish I were still studying. Hehehe.
  • accountancy is more of logic, logic, logic and sort of business sense ...just a piece of advice, dont choose accountancy if your heart is not into it, might regret it. Classroom solving problems can be very exciting but actual practice is different. This profession can be very boring and (in my opinion) is more of a bean-counting or if you are in audit (fault-finding). damn how exciting!!

yeah, you're correct, if only i can turn back time...

anyway, kung pera-pera lang ang usapan...you dont have a problem, this is one of the professions na very in demand sa pinas and abroad.
  • stepehenyan@12[email protected] PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I had my share of accounting as a minor subject and it was really tough ! but if you are really determined my advice is you should have good grades on all of your subjects including the minor. My high school friend is an accounting major he admits that it's not a walk in the park.
  • fedor wrote: »
    accountancy is more of logic, logic, logic and sort of business sense ...just a piece of advice, dont choose accountancy if your heart is not into it, might regret it. Classroom solving problems can be very exciting but actual practice is different. This profession can be very boring and (in my opinion) is more of a bean-counting or if you are in audit (fault-finding). damn how exciting!!

yeah, you're correct, if only i can turn back time...

anyway, kung pera-pera lang ang usapan...you dont have a problem, this is one of the professions na very in demand sa pinas and abroad.

AGREE. AGREE. AGREE! Hindi pa naman huli ang lahat sa akin. I could divert to another field that I truly love.
  • Thanks a lot, guys.

Honestly, I'm an introvert and that is why I want to take up a course, such as accountancy, that doesn't demand excellent social and communication skills. LOL! But now after reading the previous posts, I'm actually having second thoughts of pursuing accountancy. Is it really that BORING? :(

To the one that asked my why I wanted to graduate early, I'm planning to take a 2nd undergraduate degree. Gusto ko kasing maranasan 2 school environments. babaw noh? :)
  • taking up this program isn't that boring.. its up to you if it would be that boring or not. while the profession itself is sort of boring, but you can still put fun in it if you can. yeah its merely boring, but if really into it, you wouldn't see it like that. It depends in what field you would land after and what kind of job.. pero un nga.. may side talaga ng accounting na boring.

awts! nagkakaproblema nga ako eh.. di ko pa minamahal ang accounting! haha.. pero aun.. sana in time..

just go to where your heart and mind leads you.. *okay*
    ayan.. nagkakasecond thoughts ka na.. tsk2.. think of what you really aspire to be in the mere future and what you really want to do.
  • Want something more exciting than accountancy? Take up a double degree in Economics and Finance. And then take the three levels of exams to become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). CFA charter holders are one of the most (if not already the most) in-demand professionals in the Finance industry. There are less than a thousand CFA charter holders in the Philippines. You should take a look at their paychecks though. Makes you want to die with envy. Investment analysis, to me, is more exciting than accountancy/audit simply because it deals with the formulation and application of financial strategies under various constraints/scenarios. Studying for the CFA subjects you to the rudiments of financial statement analysis (accounting), corporate finance, economics, equity and fixed income valuation, derivative and alternative investment analysis, portfolio management, and more importantly, the ethical and professional standards in which the financial markets operate in.

Many of the accountants I meet during the course of work all tell me the same thing. If they had known Finance was as exciting as it is early on during their college life, they would have chosen not to take accountancy.
  • for me accounting is not boring.

the pressure and stress and just laughing out the very low grades in quizzes, from the so many exams an topics you need to understand in so short time to computing for your required final exam grade just to pass the course and all the things that accounting is demanding from its students - it sure is an exciting degree! and you're planning to have it in la salle? i say take the challenge.. the training is all worth it.

once you're done with it, you'll start missing the ups and downs of being an accounting student.
  • cHaSeR wrote: »
    Want something more exciting than accountancy? Take up a double degree in Economics and Finance. And then take the three levels of exams to become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). CFA charter holders are one of the most (if not already the most) in-demand professionals in the Finance industry. There are less than a thousand CFA charter holders in the Philippines. You should take a look at their paychecks though. Makes you want to die with envy. Investment analysis, to me, is more exciting than accountancy/audit simply because it deals with the formulation and application of financial strategies under various constraints/scenarios. Studying for the CFA subjects you to the rudiments of financial statement analysis (accounting), corporate finance, economics, equity and fixed income valuation, derivative and alternative investment analysis, portfolio management, and more importantly, the ethical and professional standards in which the financial markets operate in.

Many of the accountants I meet during the course of work all tell me the same thing. If they had known Finance was as exciting as it is early on during their college life, they would have chosen not to take accountancy.

Ah, I've also heard about that double degree in economics and finance (was it eco-MFI?) from a La sallian friend. Is La Salle the only university who offers that kind of program? Right now, the probability that I'll take up accountancy is getting smaller and smaller. Thanks to you guys. LOL! But at least I get to hear it from individuals who had experience with the profession. :)

I'm not interested with the eco side, though. So perhaps I'll just consider the finance degree. What would I expect from the program? What skills do I need? Would logic and math skills suffice? Are you taking up finance, cHaSeR?