Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Would you RENT a book?

rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
This is one of those daydream business ideas of mine. Seems like book prices are just so high right now. Many times I backed off from buying a book just because I could not afford it.

So, I thought what if someone put up a book rental place? It would be by membership like the old video rental places. Parang library na may bayad. It would be different from your school library in that most of the books would be "popular" ones. Rental would be, say... P10 per week?

Would you patronize such a place?

Comments

• a book rental biz is feasible if you put one in villages like BF, etc. I remember there was one in park square 1. It's called the armchair reader and i guess it didn't do so well cuz people wouldn't return the books. imagine, one person borrows a judith mcnaught book and fails to return it then you have to buy another one just to replace that. unless, you have stocks of the same book.
  • MavenMaven PExer
    yeah, i remember the armchair reader as well. :) used to rent a lot of books there.

as orangepink said, one of the big risks of this type of business is that members might not return the books, and you will have to spend on another book to replace that one. if you really want a "rental" place, do what rich dad, poor dad writer robert t. kiyosaki did--when he was younger, he got a bunch of comic books in one place and had kids pay a minimal fee to read them. he wouldn't allow them to take it out. that way, walang mawawalang comics (or books, in your case), but you still get to earn. :)
  • moonshinemoonshine PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i would pay to rent books, yes.

this might work if you put it up in neighborhood setting---minimal rental fee, and maybe require a deposit from clients (say P400 pesos, refundable upon termination of their membership). the deposit is for lost books. then you might limit your members to taking out 2 book titles per visit (to minimize risk in case that member doesnt show his face ever again). if the location is a neighborhood setting, it would be easier to "collect" the books back too.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Yes, but I have a problem with time limits on books. There are some books which I can read in one sitting, while for others I have to drop them, let myself rest, and pick them up again after a while. I am not too disciplined when it comes to my reading time. If the clock is ticking (as with your rental plan), I may be discouraged from renting some of those hard-ro-read titles.
  • hell yeah!!

i agree that books are so expensive nowadays. that's why you'll always find me skimming through books in the bargain section. besides that, i have friends who i regularly swap books with.

moonshine's suggestion is good. consider me signed up if you decide to push through with this.
  • Back in high school I used to rent books from this little stall in Glori Supermarket along Del Monte Avenue, and I think it's still there today. So it's a feasible business idea. The book rental business alone might not be enough to pay for the staff's salaries and outlet rental though, so maybe you can also sell magazines or snack food to bring additional money in.
  • redwitchredwitch PEx Rookie ⭐
    Yes, I would patronize it. If I'm the proprietor of such an establishment I'd probably give the take-home option to regular customers for a higher fee :D
  • redwitchredwitch PEx Rookie ⭐
    Yes, I would patronize it. If I'm the proprietor of such an establishment I'd probably give the take-home option to regular customers for a higher fee :D
  • yessssssss i would :bungi: that would save me from my starvation for good books especially i can't afford to buy new books nowadays *okay*
  • this made me think of my younger days.... :) in the old RFC mall in Las Pinas, there was a pocketbook rental shop (long before the tagalog pb overflow) that rented out those harlequin romance novels, historical romances, sweet dreams and other teen staples...
    I rented a few kinda like a preview, then if I like it I can buy my own copy. This was ideal for my budget at that time, too.

As a business venture, it sounds like a pretty good idea especially if your location is good and the selection is diverse --- just know your market well siguro, what they like, and how much they like it. :) The suggestion of selling other items might be a good idea, too, to cover overhead costs. Books and finger food siguro, or a cafe area where they can read at leisure. :)

Hmm, sarap pala mag daydream about businesses like this. If ever you push through with it, good luck! :)
  • i would, but only if it's in an accesible location
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hey, thanks for the encouraging replies!

I was worried that real booklovers might not want to read books that are rather beat up. That and the theft issue were on the top of my worry list.

The "inventory" might have to be pretty large as in a wide selection and multiple copies of Grisham and Clancy.

The location nga is critical. Dapat hindi na sasadyain. Residential or near a university?

I'm really burning to do this. Ang pampalakas ng loob ko e, if ever malugi, e di akin lahat noong books! :D
  • sounds like a good idea the only thing is make sure other people don't deface the books (write on it, highlight, fold pages, etc..) pag may nakikita kasi ako na laspag na na libro sa library I don't want to borrow it sometimes especially if it's a title i've never heard of before.
  • my_identitymy_identity PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    This is similar to having a local library... only with fees. :D
  • bafanabafana PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Yes, I will especially now that book prices are just atrociously high. But on second thought, there should be nothing atrocious in one's search for knowledge, di ba? And I think book rental is such a practical scheme for economically-deprived Filipinos who are generally not book-readers. Syempre, unahin muna nila ang sikmura bago ang utak. But I really find it depressing that most of our students have not been taught the value of reading and even if they have been taught, they would rather read komiks than a good novel. Somehow, the fact that one can feed his stomach via his brain got lost among the literary debris that komiks gave the Pinoy masa.
  • i think this is a great idea. this service won't just be useful for people can't afford to buy the books. it could also be useful for people who like to buy books but don't want to waste their money on books they wouldn't like. it's like test driving for books. :)
  • CoolCucumberCoolCucumber PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    orangepink wrote:
    a book rental biz is feasible if you put one in villages like BF, etc. I remember there was one in park square 1. It's called the armchair reader and i guess it didn't do so well cuz people wouldn't return the books. imagine, one person borrows a judith mcnaught book and fails to return it then you have to buy another one just to replace that. unless, you have stocks of the same book.

Actually, merong ganyang business dati dito sa BF, sa may Tahanan Village banda, sa taas ng Brooklyn Pizza. Hindi nag-click. Siguro kasi konti lang ang mga libro nila. Tsaka per day ang bayad so kung medyo busy body ka o talagang mabagal magbasa, medyo malaki rin ang ibabayad mo sa pagrenta ng libro.

@threadstarter: E kung yung mga members na magpahiram ng libro sa iyo na in turn puwede mo ring iparenta sa business mo e magkakaro'n ng privilege, like, discounted membership fee, ok yata yun, 'no? I think it's a win-win situation. The member gets some privilege while you have less worries in terms of having a limited selection of books. :)

:rpflag:
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Actually, merong ganyang business dati dito sa BF, sa may Tahanan Village banda, sa taas ng Brooklyn Pizza. Hindi nag-click. Siguro kasi konti lang ang mga libro nila. Tsaka per day ang bayad so kung medyo busy body ka o talagang mabagal magbasa, medyo malaki rin ang ibabayad mo sa pagrenta ng libro.

@threadstarter: E kung yung mga members na magpahiram ng libro sa iyo na in turn puwede mo ring iparenta sa business mo e magkakaro'n ng privilege, like, discounted membership fee, ok yata yun, 'no? I think it's a win-win situation. The member gets some privilege while you have less worries in terms of having a limited selection of books. :)

:rpflag:

Hmmm.... Nice idea.

I live in BF too. I remember that place you're talking about. I kept telling myself that I would visit it. Kaya lang nga, I would drive by and whoops, nakalampas na. Next time na lang. Next time nang next time. Hayan sarado na. Never even knew that it was a book rental. Thought it was a regular bookstore.

Makes me even more convinced now that the location is the key. Doon sana banda sa Starbucks o Tropical Hut
  • location and proper marketing/advertising are important. good luck!
  • If you were located right beside my house, I'd rent from you! Also provided that you had my type of books. Hell, If you opened a bookstore beside my house, I'd buy from you. :D