COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

NBA should impose age limit: Yes or No?

booksalebooksale Member ✭✭✭
sana gawing poll ito...

I say... YES!

Should the NBA impose an age limit?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• vince 15vince 15 mavs41nowitzki PExer
    No, keep the teens coming.
    NO. if the europeans get to play pro ball by the age of 14, then let the americans do it, too.
  • 9ino9ino -=ProFesSoR DuNk=- PExer
    NO.

I second Jermaine O'Neal's point: if you can be sent to war at the age of 18, why can't you play professional ball?

Same thing goes to buying cigarettes/alcohol and going to strip clubs. :naughty:

9ino.gif
  • booksalebooksale Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, they're coming in too raw.
    As a longtime NBA fan, I think they should impose an age minimum of 20 for first year players to improve the quality of the Bball play that we see today in the league.

I know 18 year olds are allowed to join the army, and if the military is okay with recruiting teenagers, then fine.

(And I don't think Michelle Wie playing w/ the pros at a young age is causing harm to the game of golf.)

But allowing these 18 year olds to play in the NBA will be detrimental for the league and quality of NBA basketball in the long run, IMHO.

For every Lebron or Amare out who has made an impact for their teams, there are 10 others like them who either never make it as a basketball player or take a long time to develop (like Jermaine O'Neal or Kwame Brown).

if these teenagers still want to play pro ball, then go overseas and play in europe or asia as imports, or better yet -- try another sport.

but please not the NBA.

============

I don't mind teenagers playing in other pro sports like hockey, baseball, soccer, tennis, golf etc. etc. because frankly, i don't give a damn re hockey, baseball, soccer etc.

If this setup works out for the Italian League, MLB, NHL etc., fine. If it ruins their sport, I don't care.

all i know is that a significant majority of these teenagers who want to enter the NBA are either not ready or just all hype.
  • bishopbishop amdg PExer
    YES.

these talented but raw kids get paid millions to sit at the end of the bench. the veterans also have less opportunities because of them.

for every HS superstar who does well in the L, there are dozens more who languish at the bench and rack up DNP-CD's.
  • PoWdEr13PoWdEr13 Follower of Jesus Christ! PExer
    I don't know.
    I dont know....

It depends...if the player seems to be ready, like LeBron...then I guess he shouldnt go waste his talent he should go straight to the big leagues...But he shouldnt miss out on his education. (thats the only thing that worries me is that the kids that go straight up they tend to forget they should have an education!)
  • bchoterbchoter Member PExer
    Yes for the sake of US NCAA :D
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    How about a rule that requires you to play at least one year in College after graduating from high school? That sounds fair. It'll either help you develop into a much better player, or be exposed if you're nothing but a flashy dunker with a high vertical as the season wears on.

panda1hx.gif
  • wetfoxwetfox Member PExer
    yeah, because these HS ballers may have had jaw-dropping stats because there was no legit / effective player guarding them in high school... what is needed is to further hone the skill, if ther is any, in college basketball, and from there, they can really prove all their worth....
  • nt_sportnt_sport . : c'',) : . PExer
    NO.

Although I beleive it is still better to go to college first rather to make that jump to the NBA, I think it should still be their choice whether to do it or not. Malalaki na yan to make their own decision. It's a free country. Let the player decide for themselves what they think is best for their future. And, in contrast, let the GM's decide themselves on whether to gamble on a teenager or to go for a college veteran.
    PoWdEr13 wrote:
    But he shouldnt miss out on his education. (thats the only thing that worries me is that the kids that go straight up they tend to forget they should have an education!)

T-Mac disagrees :D
    nt_sport wrote:
    I think it should still be their choice whether to do it or not. Malalaki na yan to make their own decision. It's a free country. Let the player decide for themselves what they think is best for their future. And, in contrast, let the GM's decide themselves on whether to gamble on a teenager or to go for a college veteran.

There's a reason why you're not allowed to drink and gamble until you're 21 ;)

The thing is, these raw, "And-1 mix tape quality" prospects get sweet-talked by greedy agents to declare for the Draft because they're going to get picked and earn millions of dollars. Some of them pan out, most of them don't -- the latter usually the result of coaches not playing them because they are raw and ending up on the waiver wire, not getting their option picked up, or worse: fish fry leagues like the PBA and NBDL. I think it's better that you hone your skills at college before you declare; You won't regret it in the long run.

panda1hx.gif
  • bchoterbchoter Member PExer
    Lack of playing time really killed the careers of a lot of HS busts. They may have cracked the line-ups of diffrent teams for their upside but their lack of fundamentals will leave the coaches no choice but to bench them. One may have amazing athleticism or mad hops but can't be utilized because he may not even know how to set a pick or come off picks. There aren't too many rookie Le Brons or Carmelos who get to play right away.
  • nt_sportnt_sport . : c'',) : . PExer
    There's a reason why you're not allowed to drink and gamble until you're 21 ;)
    But then again, there's the argument as Jermaine would put it, if you're allowed to join the army & go to war at age 18, why not play basketball? hehe... :)

Since we're talking about eligibility rules anyway (or rules to be implemented, in this case), wasnt there a legal case filed in the early 70's (or was it late 60's?) that dumped the NBA's own guidelines? At the time, the NBA prohibited the drafting or signing of a player before his college class had graduated. But there was this guy (Spencer Haywood), who challanged that NBA rule. Arguing that as a member of a struggling family, he was a "hardship case" and therefore had a right to begin earning his living. The case, which beleive it or not went to as high as the Supreme Court, was won by Haywood; thus opening the floodgate of undergraduates entering the NBA draft.

Anyway, my point is, during Haywoods time, Haywood would encounter a lot of hostility from the general public about his attempts to play in the NBA. That was just because he was still a college undergraduate and that people feel that he should finish his studies first. That was then. But now (because of the Haywood case), it is accepted that undergraduates can play & be allowed to earn a living. So now... we're talking about whether or not an 18 or 19-year old should or should not be allowed to earn millions. I'd say, must we wait for another Spencer Haywood case to come along?

Peace. ;)
    one other thing, do ya all think jermaine is right when he said na increasing the age limit to 20 on the nba rooks is racist?
  • faaip_de_oiadfaaip_de_oiad PEX GOD PExer
    ^ ummm... no? He's the one being racist because he thinks only african-american guys are the ones capable of making a jump from highschool to the pros.

---

In a study conducted by a certain educational firm on the varsity programs of top participating schools in the NCAA. Only 60% of players actually manage to graduate from school and for football players, it's even lower.

Panda: WTH is with that new sig?! :lol:

---

I think they should just set a educational attainment requirement if they want to ensure the 'future' of these people. An age requirement would have denied a scholastic phenom like Emeka Okafor from entering the league. It's not his fault he graduated early!
  • kixterkixter LordoftheMonsters PExer
    No, imposing an age limit sounds stupid... why should you restrict a player from the right to earn a living??? and its not their fault that they are being selected by the teams... and besides, O'Neal is right, if you have to fight for your country when you are 18 yrs. old, why can't you jump on the pros at 18??? remember Adu signed a contract to play pro soccer when he was 14 yrs old...

:hiphop:
  • 9ino9ino -=ProFesSoR DuNk=- PExer
    kixter wrote:
    No, imposing an age limit sounds stupid... why should you restrict a player from the right to earn a living???
    Exactly!

Does anybody remember Darius Rice? Him and Darius Miles were both phenomenal high school prospects and were both projected as lottery picks back in 2000. Miles declared for the draft and is earning millions now, while Rice decided to stay in college. He declared for the NBA draft after 4 years, went undrafted, got cut from NJ and Portland summer league teams, and is now playing in the NBDL.

9ino.gif
  • faaip_de_oiadfaaip_de_oiad PEX GOD PExer
    kixter

OT: nagsstone ka pa? nasolve mo na tow the line mo? :D
    I'm fine whichever way it goes, although I voted 'yes' because I want Tim Duncan's not Darius Miles's. An age limit IMO is useless because the stupid GMs would still pick whichever raw eligible player they find in the Draft, and not everyone that goes to college learns to play the right way.
    Originally Posted by nt_sport
    But then again, there's the argument as Jermaine would put it, if you're allowed to join the army & go to war at age 18, why not play basketball? hehe...

O'Neal's logic is always good for a few laughs. He said the NBA imposing an age limit is "unconstitutional" (I want a copy of the NBA's "Bill of Rights" and the "Tydings-McStern Act"! sarcasm4ig.gif ) and then cites LeBron and Amare and the all-star game having 7 high school players as proof why there shouldn't be an age limit. Jermaine, booby, we're talking about the NBA Draft here -- how many high school players that applied panned out and how many didn't? And how is it racism when the number of raw, pasty white stiffs applying from Europe are just as many as his "brothas"?

As for his war analogy, at least the military trains and prepares you for war; The NBA really doesn't -- all you have to do is sign up with nothing more but athleticism, upside, and some grainy bootleg footage that has Chad Ford's jizz stains all over it and you're on the ladder.
    Originally Posted by nt_sport
    So now... we're talking about whether or not an 18 or 19-year old should or should not be allowed to earn millions. I'd say, must we wait for another Spencer Haywood case to come along?

I think what Stern is trying to do is for the best interests of everyone - the dumb GMs, the undergraduates, etc. Sure you may be earning money now, but since you're raw, not ready, and not given any opportunities by the coach to prove yourself, how are you going to impress everyone for your next contract?
    Panda: WTH is with that new sig?! :lol:

People=Sheep has run its course. Time for something new. Since everyone calls me panda, I drawed a panda with corpse paint and the eyes of the "pandaemonaeon" cover guy :D

panda23xg.gif
    O'Neal is right, if you have to fight for your country when you are 18 yrs. old, why can't you jump on the pros at 18???

if the military thinks it's okay to recruit 18 year olds, i have no problem with that.

but the NBA for me is different.

mas mabilis makapasok sa military kaysa sa NBA. gaano ba kalaki ang size ng military... 3-4 million?

ilan naman ang roster spots na available para sa NBA players? 300+ lang?

not everybody can play in the NBA and not all kids are who has the "potential" are NBA ready.

ang masama nito is more and more kids are skipping college na to try their luck in the NBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... 0414&num=0
    Several people have made the comment that nobody is forcing NBA GMs to draft HS kids. Actually, I'd say that in a way, it has gotten to the point where they are forced/compelled to do so. Hear me out. When this was all a new thing, skipping college, there'd be maybe 1 or 2 guys in the draft out of HS. There would also be plenty of good college guys, so most GMs chose to play safe and pick the college guys.

But what's happened now is that the college game has become so strip-mined that there really aren't many good players to pick from at all. If you're a GM, and nothing good is left on the board (which in some cases becomes true in the very early teens now), you simply pick somebody with a lot of potential. Translation: high schooler.

Honestly, as a fan, I'm sick of every team having 2 guys just sitting on the bench because they're so young and stupid that they cannot contribute anything to a game. Send them to college or NBDL or something, and let them play, and let them come back able to contribute. It ruins both the college AND the pro game to have this happening.

The high school crap isn't just bad for the fans. It's also bad for GMs, who now are very often forced to make a decision on a guy who's done essentially nothing for 3 years, but now is eligible for a huge contract. Poster boy for this: the same Jermaine O'neal. The Blazers drafted him and groomed him for 3 long years. At the end of it, they lose him to the Pacers, and he luckily pans out. But the Blazers got essentially nothing for 3 years of guaranteed money.

If you are using the "nobody forced the GMs to draft the HS guys" line, you must be in favor of some other things, too. Removing the salary cap. Removing the 15% trade salary matchup. Those rules just get in the way, right? Why not let a GM make any trade they want? Nobody's putting a gun to the GM's heads....

Hmm, maybe those rules are there for a reason. Maybe sometimes we want to protect the owners and GMs from themselves, as well as discouraging young kids from making a bad decision.

Don't get me started about the comparisons to young soccer or tennis players. Those leagues do that because it simply isn't as bad for the game as this situation is for the NBA. If allowing high school age soccer players was starting to destroy FIFA soccer, you better believe they would do something about it. The reality is that those leagues aren't seeing these same problems, so they aren't seeking the same measures. What's good for one sport isn't always good for another. See also: salary caps -- whether to have them, their amount, et cetera.
    btw, what do you guys think re reducing the number of years of the rookie contract from 3 to 2 para mas mabilis na silang makakuha ng malaking contract in exchange for raising the rookie minimum age to 20?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file