Home PEx Campus The Academe

On Campus Forum: A Critique (Au Revoir?)

My nearly one year of being part of pinoyexchange has afforded me rich insights to the nature of pexers, all kinds. And it is on this "On Campus" forum that majority of the young are concentrated. In spite of age - having been out of the University for five years now - interacting with you guys, admittedly, gives me this constant revitalizing feeling of being young again.

I can only sympathize with Sinned for I, too, have become a victim of some of the pexers' seeming knitted minds. But do they really possess or just doing intentionally for the sake of trying to protect their ego by opposing the prevailing winds no matter how irrational?

Parochiality is chaotic. Oh, I remember I was tagged by some pexers here as dimwit, a scum; and even those people who have indirectly something to do with my life were called rapists, i mean those were Dominican priests.

If one is mature enough, you would easily know who these people are. I do really feel bad when some pexers would post arguments without the aid of facts especially if the argument is too degrading. No offense, please, just look at these topic: "Thomasians bagsak sa college entrance exams mg UP, De La Salle, and Ateneo; "UST Bulok"; "Pinaka jolog crowd" or "UST low quality because of bottle-throwing incident in UAAP last year" (remember it happened only once and not all participated and the stigma) etc..

Why these pexers behave irrationally is because of their propensity for excessive self-esteem, this so-called central position.

Adulthood or maturity wrenches the young from this central position, tosses them into a new world where they are no longer important anymore. Slowly, the transition from self-absorption to social awareness of another world of people just as important or even more so, takes place through education, through growing up and maturing. Needless to say that education is a constant process that goes even beyond the halls of the university. This is a normal process in life and can take place smoothly enough despite thee tugs and shoves at the beginning. However, a few on account of some psychological and emotional factors which impede maturity, continue to cling on to this position, bahaving like overgrown babies, spoiled brats, balking and protesting this diminution of their self-esteem.

And so when someone said that "hindi kami trying hard katulad ng UST"; "If you are not distorting the facts, then bobo ka!"; "...the fact remains that flunkers from college entrance exams of UP, DLSU, and Ateneo are accepted in UST"; "ok din naman ang UST maski 4th choice lang sila ng mga HS graduates"; "at saka bakit ang yabang ng mga taga La Salle, eh school ng mga bobong mayayaman lang naman ang school nyo, buti pa nga sa Ateneo eh, matatalinong mayayaman!"; "UST's college entrance exams are easier to pass...due to its far cheaper tuition, it attracts far more PROMDI who are intimidated by La Salle's and Ateneo's"; "mabait kasi mga Jesuits di tulad ng mga Dominicans"; or "Rizal was friendly with the Jesuits di tulad ng mga priests (Dominicans) ninyo rapists..." all the marks of immaturity were there; the audacity that would not allow the dimunition of their excessive egocentric position (however irrational?)

As one pexer here aptly puts it, "Accept reality. If you want facts, and someone gives you facts, try to be open minded and accept them as such. Don't ignore what he says just because you get offended or degraded"

To my fellow Thomasians, just cling on to the Thomasian Credo and I quote:

...in consonance with our belief,
we vow to make every day of our life in UST
a fitting testimony to all the goals it holds dear,
to make of it a salutary record
of our restless search for the GOD of Truth
who shall free us
from the bondage of our iniquities and shortsightedness,
who has never failed to show his power and love on those who seek and serve Him,
and who made
St. Thomas Aquinas
his personal refraction of His own wisdom, thereby thanking our patron saint and telling him,
"Thou hast written of me well, Thomas."

dominicus,25, finished journalism at the Royal and Pontifical University. He writes economic/business stories for a national daily broadsheet and is a member of Economic Journalists Association of the Philippines. He is often mistaken for actor Bernard Palanca which he irritates so much. lol.giflol.gif

[This message has been edited by dominicus (edited 07-31-2000).]

Comments

• it makes you wonder about the quality of education these days, doesn't it?
  • This reminds me of Golding's Lord of the Flies. Its theme speaks clearly about PEx, its surroundings, and its people. When given a chance, people often single out another to degrade to improve their own security. Some PExers will call names, tag one person the scum of the earth and scat away with their sense of anarchy and chaos.

Going to PEx is like choosing between Ralph, Piggy, and Simon and Jack's tribe. And wanting to go where is never difficult.

Is PEx transforming them from civilized to barbaric? But PEx, like a society, should hold everyone together, and if they live a life without law and order, then their values, ideals, and the basics of right and wrong are lost. Therefore, I would have to hold a much more negative outlook on human nature, just like Golding.

You can only cover up inner savagery so long before it breaks out, given the right situation. And in PEx, savagery is coming to light.

§inned™
  • well said, dominicus!
  • Whoops, I forgot...

BRAVO DOMINICUS!!!

§inned™
  • to everyone who has been dissing schools, here's what i have to say.

finish your education. a few years into your career, your alma mater will not be as important as your achievements as an individual.

oh, to sinned and dominicus, well said.

[This message has been edited by sardonic wench (edited 08-01-2000).]
  • Originally posted by sardonic wench:
    to everyone who has been dissing schools, here's what i have to say.

finish your education. a few years into your career, your alma mater will not be as important as your achievements as an individual.

Unless your a teacher like me...
  • hey dominicus if i may suggest to post likewise this thread on the UAAP forum. Saksakan ng daming overgrown babies and spoiled brats doon!
  • BadGiRLBadGiRL PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hayyy...will wonders ever cease? :rolleyes: ipagtanggol ulet is idol! lol.gif magmagaling daw ba? tama bang itaas ang sariling bangko? :rolleyes: Duh.

dominicus and sinned: don't make urselves look really pathetic by trying to make urselves look like the victims. kayo rin naman nauuna e. besides, u never participated in such discussion ha? u never did? magmalinis daw ba kayo? aba! galing nyo ah! magfeeling daw ba na may karapatan magsalita as if walang kasalanan? ha? ha? magsalita lang kayo pag ndi kayo nagparticipate in anyway! :rolleyes: tomasino nga talaga kayo!

By sinned
    When given a chance, people often single out another to degrade to improve their own security
    ---that's what u thomasians do best, esp you and dominicus.

by dominicus
    As one pexer here aptly puts it, "Accept reality. If you want facts, and someone gives you facts, try to be open minded and accept them as such. Don't ignore what he says just because you get offended or degraded"
    ---Why don't u try and see if this should apply to u as well bago ka magsalita?

by dominicus
    To my fellow Thomasians, just cling on to the Thomasian Credo and I quote:
    ---as i see it, The good saint must be rolling in his grave now. hayyy!!!!

tsaka practice what you preach d ba? or ndi tinuro ng teacher nyo sa inyo yun? kala ko ba magaling ang ust? napaka taas ng moralidad nyo?

*btw, dominicus, great ad! sana may kumuha sayo mamaya! most preferrably si Lord. Kaso nga lang, baka ndi ka papasukin ni S. Pedro. :) *

[This message has been edited by BadGiRL (edited 08-01-2000).]
    :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by BadGiRL (edited 08-01-2000).]
  • yeah i know marcus74. let us just hope that they would soon grow as rational as i want them to be (talking about their vicissitudes).
  • The pure beauty of TRUTH hurts for someone like Badgirl. Parochiality indeed is chaotic.
    Originally posted by dominicus:
    The pure beauty of TRUTH hurts for someone like Badgirl. Parochiality indeed is chaotic.

.....and so Fr. Dominicus preaches.....

:rolleyes:
  • The fear of the unknown can be a powerful force, which can turn you to either insight or hysteria. In PEx, hysteria is the lord of the flies.

§inned™
  • well said dominicus... hail hehehehe

reddevil.gif

hwag nyo na kacng pansinin e
    :rolleyes: hayyyy.....
  • So this is what this forum has come down too. How sad.

I admire your courage and straight-forwardness, dominicus.

• Yes, sampaguita, very sad indeed. Lots of Jacks and Rogers in PEx. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

§inned™
  • Haaayyyy flowery words are great swayers of minds nevermind that it came from mouths fouler than ours...

Ohhhhh.... Intelehenteng mga PEX's how easily do we forget.

What dominicus said is true but let us all remember that he too is considered as one who has irrational and knitted mind. We all are victims here but some may experience more flames than others simply because they deserve to be fried a little crispier.

Time and time again I say this: dont be a crybaby if you cant handle the flames thrown back in your face, if it was you started the whole mess anyway :)

Munting paalala mula sa isang taong di nadadala sa matatamis na salita :)

• Originally posted by shark:
    We all are victims here but some may experience more flames than others simply because they deserve to be fried a little crispier.

Time and time again I say this: dont be a crybaby if you cant handle the flames thrown back in your face, if it was you started the whole mess anyway :)

I'm sorry, shark you did not understand my critique. Oh, by the way, i can surely say that i don't have an irrational mind.

[This message has been edited by dominicus (edited 08-04-2000).]
  • If you are familiar with Jack, throughout Lord of the Flies, (taken from a written depiction on who is Jack): Jack is portrayed as being power-hungry, savage-like, and irresponsible according to Ralph and Piggy's standards. At the beginning of the book, he is the leader of his choir group. He becomes upset when the group votes for Ralph instead of him for leader of the group. Later in the book, he forms his own tribe of boys, which consist of the choir group, which are called the hunters, and any other boys that wish to join. The reader becomes aware of the intensity of Jack's savagery when Jack takes part in the killing of Piggy and the hunting down of Ralph.

In PEx, the Jacks hunt the Ralphs and the Piggys, and they will do everything because the Ralphs and the Piggys in PEx should have antagonists, just like in the book and just like what this thread is proving.

The savage dance is starting.

§inned™