Home PEx Hobbies Anime and Manga
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

The Japanese Thread

wow, I never realized this, but I'd like to conduct a sort of... survey thingy

anyway, in this thread, I'd like you to share what you know about the Japanese language

I think this idea sort of came up during the Midori no Hibi thing

anyway, I know a little Japanese, mainly through studying of some books, I can read and write Hiragana and Katakana... and then some Kanji

my level of understanding the language can be... well, I can order a a beer or something at a restaurant...

anyway, I'm no good... I also stopped studying since school stuff was getting in the way

so... I'd like to know if there's anyone here who can speak the language

Comments

• DKLDKL PExer
    *BUMP*

Daremo nihongo ga dekimasen desu ka?

well, anyway, I'm pretty sure someone here knows...
  • Konnichiwa....watashi wa Konoha_chan desu...

Well, I know Daremo means something like anyone, someone (i dunno) and Nihongo means Japanese.....desuka is just a form of asking a question....the rest I dont understand....><

BTW - I'm not so sure about that Desu ka.....
  • DKLDKL PExer
    I sort of said:

"Doesn't anyone know how to speak Japanese?"

anyway, I'm doing this because I'm really interested in knowing if anyone has undertaken learning Japanese at one point

I'd also like to know why?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least TRY to learn because of my huge interest in Japanese Cartoons
  • isn't speak = hanasu?
  • DKLDKL PExer
    well yeah, but Japanese is sort of a contextualized language

so literally:

"Daremo nihongo ga dekimasen desu ka?"

would sort of be:

"Is there no one that can't do Japanese languag?" 0_o

I sort of thought the same thing you did before actually learning some Japanese...

okay, if you want to use "hanasu"

let's say...

"Nihongo no Hanasu koto ga dekimasen desu ka?"

=

"Can't you/he/she speak in Japanese?"

well, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, but I never went TOO far with my studies, so I'm not like a super duper expert or anything *this is another reason I need to make an inquiry*
  • I'd also like to point out that there's also formal and informal Japanese, and that the ones being taught at schools and in books are more of the former.

Anyway, personally I learned a bit of Japanese for several reasons. Of course it's partially related to the fact that I like anime/manga. (Of course part of the reason I also learned a bit was due to my exposure to actually hearing Japanese dialogue in Japanese shows.)

Of course I'd also like to point out that along with learning a country's language, you should also be prepared to learn about their culture, or else you might have problems in understanding conversations (i.e. in English, a good example would be idioms and metaphors).
  • DKLDKL PExer
    yeah, I know what you mean...

like YOU in JAPANESE is ANATA right?

for the most part, you shouldn't use it at all

but then calling out to someone using his or her first name is like DISRESPECTFUL if you don't have permission :shock:

there's a load of differences and stuff and it's really hard to grasp the logic some times
  • Parang labo po... eto pag kakaalam ko:

Kore forum wa, daredemo nihongo ga wakarimasuka?- Is there anybody in this forum who understand Japanese (language)?

And ask ko lang, why use dekimasen + hanasu? Dekimasen is the potential form of shimasu, right? So kung "Can you speak in Japanese?" = Anata wa nihongo ga hanasemasuka?
  • DKLDKL PExer
    well, it all essentially means the same thing when you contextualize it...

"can anyone speak Japanese?"

although I did make a mistake though, apparently I forgot that you can't have MASEN and then DESU afterwards...

... I think it's suppose to be KONO forumu wa

like:

Kore wa forumu/koko wa forumu... *I think your not suppose to have a subject after kore, sore, are*

so, "Kono forumu no naka/ Kono forumu wa..."

I think DEKIRU is more of "the ability to do"

so you can say:

Hanasu koto ga dekiru *there was a -KATA extension which my book said was more of... the art/way of doing or something*

-I can speak

or

Hanaseru/ hanasemasu *I think -saseru is passive, but this is what I can remember*

-I can speak

... wow, I need my books, I have no idea where I'm going

... err... the end sentence is:

"Kono forumu wa daremo/daredemo nihongo ga dekiru no ka?"

anyway, I just learned out of reading a bunch of bools, so I'm technically just following the guidelines
  • hi po! im a student at eac manila, they offer how to speak write and read jap..... just telling po kung cnu po interested po!
  • DKLDKL PExer
    COOL! You should take it then and tell us all about it! :yes:

I'm here in the states, so it's up to you guys to go pursue it...

... can you spell FORUMU in Japanese? :shock:

what's the proper word anyway?
  • Actuallly from what I know (based on anime that I watch), they just call forums BBS (bulletin board service), which is what forums really are.
  • konnichiwa!! watashi no namae ha Sakura Kinomoto des!!

haay..konti palang alam ko sa nihonggo pero gusto kong matuto!! ang mahal naman magjapanese lessons..meron ba dito na marunong at willing akong turuan (pwedeng by chatting)..please...
  • DKLDKL PExer
    err... I'll try this out, I might be completely wrong though... if someone can speak Japanese well, please step forward and correct my sorry *** :lol:

Nippongo no hon o kaeba, jouzu ni nareru

"If you buy Japanese books, you will learn" *I think... wow my memory is deteriorating quickly*

Tomeru nakereba narimasen!/ Tomeru wa Ikemasen!

"You musn't stop trying to learn!"

Ore wa, nan-gatsu o benkyou shitta keredomo, sukoshii nihongo o hanasu... iro-iro na koto mada dekimasen

"Even though I've studied Japanese for a couple of months, there's still a bunch of stuff I can't do yet" *LAME*
  • DKL wrote:
    well, it all essentially means the same thing when you contextualize it...

"can anyone speak Japanese?"

although I did make a mistake though, apparently I forgot that you can't have MASEN and then DESU afterwards...

... I think it's suppose to be KONO forumu wa

like:

Kore wa forumu/koko wa forumu... *I think your not suppose to have a subject after kore, sore, are*

so, "Kono forumu no naka/ Kono forumu wa..."

I think DEKIRU is more of "the ability to do"

so you can say:

Hanasu koto ga dekiru *there was a -KATA extension which my book said was more of... the art/way of doing or something*

-I can speak

or

Hanaseru/ hanasemasu *I think -saseru is passive, but this is what I can remember*

-I can speak

... wow, I need my books, I have no idea where I'm going

... err... the end sentence is:

"Kono forumu wa daremo/daredemo nihongo ga dekiru no ka?"

anyway, I just learned out of reading a bunch of bools, so I'm technically just following the guidelines

Yes, my mistake. It should've been KONO.

Essentiall, the the person you are talking you will understand. But if you'll contextualize it, ganito yun:

I Speak Nihonggo:
    Watashi ha nihonggo ga hanashimasu- polite forum.
    Watashi ha nihonggo ga hanasu- plain form.

I CAN Speak Nihonggo:
    Watashi ha nihonggo ga hanasemasu- polite form.

DEKIMASU (can do)= potential form of SHIMASU (to do)... DEKIRU= Plain form.

Eto pala dapat naisulat ko:
    Kono forum wa dare ga nihonggo ga wakarimasuka?
    (Does anyone understand nihonggo in this forum?)

"Kono forumu wa daremo/daredemo nihongo ga dekiru no ka?" Opposite daremo-daredemo (nobody-anybody). So if you want to use daremo, you should use dekimasen (negative-negative). ;)

Anata ha naratte tomenakereba narimasen- or maybe naraimasu should be in ta-kei... naratta.
    (You must not stop learning).

Anata ha nihongo no hon ga kattara, nihonggo ga jouzu ni narimasu...
    (IF you'll buy japanese books, you'll BECOME good at japanese).
    Malabo pero parang as is na ata talaga yan. May mga jap grammar na alang malinaw na translation sa english eh. Hehehehe! :eyecrazy:
  • Kikkomann wrote:
    Yes, my mistake. It should've been KONO.

Essentiall, the the person you are talking you will understand. But if you'll contextualize it, ganito yun:

I Speak Nihonggo:
    Watashi ha nihonggo ga hanashimasu- polite forum.

I CAN Speak Nihonggo:
    Watashi ha nihonggo ga hanasemasu- polite form.

DEKIMASU (can do)= potential form of SHIMASU (to do)... DEKIRU= Plain form.

Eto pala dapat naisulat ko:
    Kono forum wa dare ga nihonggo ga wakarimasuka?
    (Does anyone understand nihonggo in this forum?)

"Kono forumu wa daremo/daredemo nihongo ga dekiru no ka?" Opposite daremo-daredemo (nobody-anybody). So if you want to use daremo, you should use dekimasen (negative-negative). ;)

Anata ha naratte tomenakereba narimasen- or maybe naraimasu should be in ta-kei... naratta.
    (You must not stop learning).

Anata ha nihongo no hon ga kattara, nihonggo ga jouzu ni narimasu...
    (IF you'll buy japanese books, you'll BECOME good at japanese).
    Malabo pero parang as is na ata talaga yan. May mga jap grammar na alang malinaw na translation sa english eh. Hehehehe! :eyecrazy:

WOW! SUGOI, SUGOI!! ^^ I learn Japanese at school...Mind you we only just finished our first term, so I can only speak basic Japanese words....for the rest of that term we learnt how to read and write the 46 basic Hiragana characters....It's really FUN!

. . . demo . . . Kikkomann-kun....sugoi!
  • DKLDKL PExer
    Man, I'm so gonna learn Japanese... ONE DAY! *w00t*

but yeah, you guys should give it a whirl too, it's pretty interesting

should we romanize WA into HA? *I know you use the HA sybol for the WA particle and stuff*

It's sort of confusing

oh yeah, Kikkoman, which books are you using?

If it's different, that would explain the differences we experience... although I'm pretty sure we're a bit on the mark at least

I used the Persian Gulf publication things *I had to learn out of books since Accountancy is LAME and won't let me take the Japanese class in college*

in any event, my sister tells me there's a lot of JAPANESE people here in San Francisco, so I can practice off of them ^_^
  • Chotto sumimasen... I asked our sensei this morning and she told me na you can't litrally say you must not stop learning. Instead, it should be like you should not stop studying (and the use of the verb tomemasu isn't appropriate for this sentence... tis should be yamemasu- quit).

Therefore (more or less), it should go like this:
    (Nihonggo) ha benkyou yamenaide kudasai- Please don't quit/stop studying Nihongo.

*wa = ha. :D

Konoha_Chan Arigatou gozaimasu.:D I suggest you continue studying your hira and kata. Then if you think you are ready, tuloy ka na sa kanji. ;)

DKL Watashi no hon no namae ha Gougakkou Gakusei Notameno Nihongo (1 & 2) desu. Kono hon ha Bonjinsha ni yotte kakaremashita.

My mom had one of those books printed by Persian Gulf (the small. black book). Demo, tabun sensyuu, watashi no haha no hon wa, nakushimashita... ah ikenai! Hehehe.:)
  • DKLDKL PExer
    Kikkomann wrote:
    Chotto sumimasen... I asked our sensei this morning and she told me na you can't litrally say you must not stop learning. Instead, it should be like you should not stop studying (and the use of the verb tomemasu isn't appropriate for this sentence... tis should be yamemasu- quit).

Therefore (more or less), it should go like this:
    (Nihonggo) ha benkyou yamenaide kudasai- Please don't quit/stop studying Nihongo.

*wa = ha. :D

oh yeah, man, I totally forgot that too

also, you lost your moms book? *don't know if I understood that right, at this point, I'm guessing*

also, now I wish I brought my books with me, but then I sort of prioritized my manga collection instead *which took up a lot of space*

... books here are pretty expensive, so I hope I meet some Japanese people soon
  • U.S. ha, doko de sunde imasu ka? Anyways, try going to http://www.thejapanshop.net. They've got a good listing of books- and relatively cheap too (not to mention fast delivery). ;)