Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

M. Night Shyamalan's "Lady in the Water"

AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
night.jpg

BURBANK, CA, 23 March 2005 – Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that it will produce and distribute acclaimed filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan’s next film, “Lady in the Water.” The announcement was made by Alan Horn, President of Warner Bros., and Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The film will be directed by the Oscar-nominated Shyamalan from his original script. Blinding Edge Pictures will produce, with Sam Mercer and Shyamalan as producers. The film will be shot in Philadelphia, where Shyamalan has made all of his movies. It follows the super of an apartment building who finds a rare type of sea nymph swimming in the apartment pool. Casting is underway and production is set to begin in August, 2005, for release on July 21, 2006.

“We couldn’t be more pleased to be working with Night on this project,” said Alan Horn. “‘Lady in the Water’ will be a major event movie for us; I hope that it is the first of many outstanding films that Night makes at our studio.”

Agreed Jeff Robinov, “Night is a creative artist whose movies are also phenomenally successful – consecutively, he has made four of the biggest-grossing original movies ever. ‘Lady in the Water’ combines modern fantasy with Night’s well-known brand of artistry and suspense. It’s both an expansion of everything that audiences already love about Night’s movies, and an exciting departure from its predecessors.”

Responded Shyamalan, “Since we met a few years ago, Alan and Jeff have gone out of their way to offer me the best on their studio slates time after time. I felt their personal connection to my movies. ‘Lady in the Water’ is a personal movie with a big idea and it seems just perfect for Warner Bros. I’m thrilled they responded to the story and we all can’t wait to get started.”

M. Night Shyamalan was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay for 1999’s worldwide hit, “The Sixth Sense.” He followed it with the blockbusters “Unbreakable,” “Signs” and “The Village.” Shyamalan’s other writing and directing credits include “Praying With Anger,” “Wide Awake” and the screenplay for “Stuart Little.”

Rate This Movie 28 votes

:D :D :D :D :D [b]Da Bomb![/b]
17% 5 votes
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: [b]Aprub[/b]
39% 11 votes
:) :) :) [b]Ok lang[/b]
32% 9 votes
:bigyawn: :bigyawn: [b]Di Ko Type[/b]
7% 2 votes
:ayaw: [b]Ayaw Talaga![/b]
3% 1 vote

Comments

• nice! :) I love his movies (I haven't seen the Village yet though)

I thought I read somewhere that he's also going to do a movie for Life of Pi
  • crybabymakicrybabymaki PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    YAY! BIIIIG night fan here. (yeah, im one of the chosen few who thought that the village was actually pretty good *okay*) cant wait for this one :bounce:

OT: (nyek, theyre gonna make the life of pi into a movie? parang pano naman ata matra-translate yung book na yon into a movie? eh half the time in the book is just about piscine internalizing about his fate and whatnot. the only part where it gets exciting is when he gets into the algae island....parang wag na lang sanang sirain yung book!)

:heart:
  • Another Shyamalan fan here. I think I've seen every single one of his works.
    I'll surely want to watch this when it shows... which is probably not gonna be in another year or two. :rolleyes:

Tongue.gif
    paul giamatti (sideways, american splendor) and bryce dallas howard (the blind girl from nights last movie, the village) just got announced as the first 2 actors to join the cast! yay!

• hmm... i liked The Village pero ayoko ng Signs. sana maganda rin to. i guess meron din syang cameo dito no? :)
    yeah for sure. hes always been in the movies he made.

• Production has commenced on Academy Award nominated writer-director M. Night Shyamalan’s (The Village, Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense) Lady in the Water, starring Paul Giamatti (Sideways), Bryce Dallas Howard (The Village) and an ensemble cast featuring Freddy Rodriguez (Six Feet Under), Jeffrey Wright (Angels in America), Bob Balaban (A Mighty Wind), Sarita Choudhury (She Hate Me), Mary Beth Hurt (The Family Man) and newcomer Cindy Cheung, for Warner Bros. Pictures. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

In Lady in the Water, a story originally conceived by Shyamalan for his children, a modest building manager named Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti) rescues a mysterious young woman (Bryce Dallas Howard) from danger and discovers she is actually a narf, a character from a bedtime story who is trying to make the treacherous journey from our world back to hers. Cleveland and his fellow tenants start to realize that they are also characters in this bedtime story. As Cleveland falls deeper and deeper in love with the woman, he works together with the tenants to protect his new fragile friend from the deadly creatures that reside in this fable and are determined to prevent her from returning home.

Produced by Shyamalan and Sam Mercer (The Village, Signs, Unbreakable), Lady in the Water will film on location in Philadelphia. The director of photography is Christopher Doyle H.K.S.C. (Hero, In the Mood for Love); the production designer is Martin Childs (Shakespeare in Love); the editor is Barbara Tulliver A.C.E. (Signs); the costume designer is Betsy Heimann (Almost Famous, Pulp Fiction) and the composer is James Newton Howard (The Village, Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense).

Lady in the Water will be released worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.
  • jefferjeffer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ooooh. Paul Giamatti in a Shyamalan film. this is something to look forward to....
    may thread na atang ginawa si ate mariel para rito :hmm:

• thescenethescene PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    What's interesting is the casting of Bryce Dallas Howard. It sort of follows the pattern of Shyamalan casting. First we saw Bruce WIllis in Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Joaquin Phoenix supported WIllis and got a lead role in THe VIllage. HOward supported Phoenix in Village and looks like she's the lead in this one.

Does that mean we will see Giamatti in another
  • how about mel gibson in signs?
    looks like a good movie..looking forward to it. hope that it won't be another disappointment like the village
  • 18th_Angel wrote:
    how about mel gibson in signs?
    looks like a good movie..looking forward to it. hope that it won't be another disappointment like the village

M. Night Shyamlan's last two movies were dissapointments, I just hope he doesn't depend largely on his 'twist' endings. Alam ko na Trademark nya yun, pero since he used it in Sixth Sense, it has been overused and abused by so many sub par movies (like Hide and Seek and Secret Window) that he should start going for the straight narrative for a change. The Village could have been a great movie kung hindi lang sinira ni Night with his idiotic twist in the end.
  • yeah.. yoko yung ending e.. mas maganda pa nga twist ng lost kesa twist ng village e..
  • sounds like an interesting movie...i read though in the summary that the they are all the characters of a fairy tale or something...reminiscent of Unbreakable where the leads were superheroes pala...i would've thought that that would be the twist though...would've been cool!
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Saw the trailer na. Ang freaky naman nun...
  • SpellbindMediaSpellbindMedia PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Has anyone seen the "documentary" on M Night Shyamalan in HBO? Interesting things they pointed out:

Many of the storylines of his movies are said to be events from his past? Like they said he had a traumatic experience when he was young - he saw a ghost (Sixth Sense) in his old house (that looked like the house of the leading characters in Signs); that he nearly drowned in a lake (Unbreakable, but Willis almost drowned in a pool) and crows seemed to have a thing on him (there were many crows in The Village). There was even this incident when a fan took a polaroid pic of him, then the researchers got a hold of that picture only to see that it had that "light" that appears in most of the Haley Joel Osment's character's pictures in Sixth Sense. What was eerie was when the film makers discovered that indeed, all of his films since Sixth Sense were shot within a 30-mile radius of Philadelphia (he doesn't leave that circle daw)
    ^^^That's freaky...
  • That "documentary" was a fake promotional used for The Village two years ago, it stirred quite a controversy at first but i think they reveal it in the end that everything was fake...I saw bits of it on HBO and it was obviously staged
  • booksalebooksale PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Please, sana wala nang "twist" ito. It's so "sixth sense" :rolleyes:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/ladyinthewater/ladyinthewater_h.480.mov
    Was wonderin' kelan ang US release date nito? :D