Home PEx Hobbies Anime and Manga
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

Steamboy (from the director of Akira)

DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
p7086120.jpg
p7086244.jpgp7086246.jpg

Synopsis
- A retro science-fiction epic set in Victorian England, Steamboy features an inventor prodigy named Ray Steam who receives a mysterious metal ball containing a new form of energy capable of powering an entire nation. This young boy must use it to fight evil, redeem his family, and save London from destruction. The lush Victorian interiors and the elegance of the era's mechanical design allows Otomo to create dazzling visual backgrounds and machines for this film. With more than 180,000 drawing and 400 CG cuts, Steamboy is sure to be one of the most elaborate animated features of 2004.

Cast
- Anna Paquin / Ray Steam
With her work in films and theater, Academy Award winning actress Anna Paquin has displayed a range of emotions and a wealth of talent well beyond her years.

Recent film roles include Gus Van Sant's "Finding Forester" with F. Murray Abraham and Sean Connery for Columbia Pictures, and Cameron Crowe's Academy Award winning "Almost Famous." Paquin also starred in 20th Century Fox's blockbuster, "X-Men" for director Bryan Singer. Based on the best-selling Marvel Comics franchise, the film also stars Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Halle Berry.

- Alfred Molina / Eddie Steam
ALFRED MOLINA, recently finished his year long run on Broadway starring in Fiddler on the Roof playing the legendary role of Tevye, for which he received a Tony Nomination. This accomplished and versatile actor has over fifty, film, television and theater productions to his credit. Most recently, he received rave reviews in the highly successful sequel Spiderman II as the villain Dr. Ock. In addition, this summer he appeared in the Jim Jarmusch film Coffee and Cigarettes and starred in the Miramax release Undertaking Betty a comedy with Brenda Blethyn, Naomi Watts and Christopher Walken.

- Patrick Stewart / Lloyd Steam
An internationally respected actor known for successfully bridging the gap between the theatrical world of the Shakespearean stage and contemporary film and television, Patrick Stewart continues to demonstrate his versatility with a wide range of projects.

Stewart is well-known for his roles in two hit movie franchises. He stars as 'Professor Charles Xavier' in 20th Century Fox's "X-Men" and "X-2" both directed by Bryan Singer. The "X-Men" films also feature the all-star cast which includes Sir Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, James Marsden and Anna Paquin. He also stars as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in the "Star Trek" feature films, a role he played on television for 6 years.

In 2001 New Years' Honors list, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth conferred on Stewart the order of the Officer of the British Empire (O.B.E.).

URL: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/steamboy/index.html

Comments

• a year or two ago na ito a? sana makahanap na ako ng dvd nito and howl's moving castle. heard its also the biggest budgeted anime ever. can't wait to find out why.
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    a year or two ago na ito a? sana makahanap na ako ng dvd nito and howl's moving castle. heard its also the biggest budgeted anime ever. can't wait to find out why.

steamboy.jpg

Not too many folks have ever heard of it. It's made by the same folks who did AKIRA. The setting is pretty much back in old England at the dawn of the modern era where every single country races for "best technological advances".
  • topnotch97topnotch97 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    this movie was like last year, right?

but it was a good movie. nice animation, not overly done. just right. design was good, and plot was alright. it is something that even my professor in movie & film recommended, just like Tokyo Godfathers.

although some critics didn't like the way the story went. film critics like Roger Ebert gave a C letter grade, even though he was one of the many film critics who push for anime in the mainstream entertainment business.

the dvd was already been out for quite sometime now. i haven't had the time to get a copy. i still have a bunch anime waiting to be watched.
  • i was able to watch it. very nice movie. though i don't see why it is the biggest budgeted movie in japan before. maybe just hype. i think Akira is still better from Katsuhiro Otomo. Its the one movie that blew me away when i first saw it.