Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

In search of sci-fi classics...

Well, actually, I'm just looking for one specific book right now....

STARSHIP TROOPERS by Robert Heinlein.

I've searched every nook and cranny of every new and second hand bookstore that i could find but to no avail.

Does anyone know a place where I can get one in manila or does anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to part with?

I just want to know if Rico really was Filipino (and not Argentinian, like in the movie) and if there was really a battle ship called "The Ramon Magsaysay". :)

And can anybody suggest any good readings out there as well? :)

Comments

• DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Well, actually, I'm just looking for one specific book right now....

STARSHIP TROOPERS by Robert Heinlein.

I've searched every nook and cranny of every new and second hand bookstore that i could find but to no avail.

Does anyone know a place where I can get one in manila or does anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to part with?

I just want to know if Rico really was Filipino (and not Argentinian, like in the movie) and if there was really a battle ship called "The Ramon Magsaysay". :)

And can anybody suggest any good readings out there as well? :)

Weird. And I have this exact paperback sitting on my shelf at home.
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hello dunedain!

Errmmm... willing to part with that copy sitting on your shelf? :D
    Hard to part with it. For one, it was a present from my gf-now-wife 6 years ago (sentimental value), and the paperback I have has the original cover (guy in a suit that looks like back in Flash Gordon days and a glass bubble helmet - dark and retro). The new ones have the movie cover which is common these days. Wala ba sa E-Bay pinas?
    Best way I could go around it is get the new one, send it over to my sister in Pinas and sell it to you.
    Wow that does sound priceless. Wouldn't give it up myself. :)

But yeah, I've searched everywhere here but to no avail... :depressed: How much does it usually go for there?
    Wow that does sound priceless. Wouldn't give it up myself. :)

But yeah, I've searched everywhere here but to no avail... :depressed: How much does it usually go for there?

This is the cover that I was talking about.

5000726.gif

I think I can check at Barnes and Nobles or Borders on the way home from work. Based from the price, it looks like "in-best-condition" (as in brand new) would be US$6.99 (and most likely, the same cover). Will post result later.
  • ^^ I have a copy with that exact same cover. Bought it here in Manila, back in the early-mid-nineties. NBS used to have boatloads of Starship Trooper books.

To the thread starter, quick answers to your questions, yes and yes! :)
    Oh hey! Thanks Dunedain! I'd really appreciate that! :D
    Bhodi Li wrote:
    ^^ I have a copy with that exact same cover. Bought it here in Manila, back in the early-mid-nineties. NBS used to have boatloads of Starship Trooper books.

To the thread starter, quick answers to your questions, yes and yes! :)

Well isn't that something? I heard from someone that Heinlein was impressed with our culture or something. :)

Reminds me of the time I first discovered the game Front Mission 3 which also had several pinoy characters and portrayed the Philippines as one kick *** naval power. :D
  • ^^ We should be a kickas$ naval power seeing as the country is surrounded by water. :(

Anyhoo, Robert Sheckley's Immortality Inc. (w/c was the basis for the movie Freejack) also mentions the Philippines.

You'll prolly get more responses if you moved this to the Arts and Literature forum. There's an E-book trading thread there, who knows you might find a not-quite-legal copy of Starship Troopers :)
    Bhodi Li wrote:
    ^^ We should be a kickas$ naval power seeing as the country is surrounded by water. :(

Anyhoo, Robert Sheckley's Immortality Inc. (w/c was the basis for the movie Freejack) also mentions the Philippines.

You'll prolly get more responses if you moved this to the Arts and Literature forum. There's an E-book trading thread there, who knows you might find a not-quite-legal copy of Starship Troopers :)

wow. thanks for all the help guys!

Ummm Bhodi, how would i do that? I'm kinda new here... hehe...
  • ^^ You mean moving the thread? Not exactly sure myself :) Why not just post in the e-book thread or create a similar thread there?
    Bhodi Li wrote:
    ^^ You mean moving the thread? Not exactly sure myself :) Why not just post in the e-book thread or create a similar thread there?

...now why didn't i think of that? hehehe :D
  • I'm not sure if they have it right now since it's been some time I've been to the place, but you can try A Different Bookstore in Makati or Booktopia in Libis. They do carry Robert Heinlen books.

If not, you can try the book ordering service of both bookstores. It should take around a month before it should arrive.

On a side note, I got my copy at Booksale. It was in mint condition, but unfortunately, the cover was the movie cover...
    kamen wrote:
    I'm not sure if they have it right now since it's been some time I've been to the place, but you can try A Different Bookstore in Makati or Booktopia in Libis. They do carry Robert Heinlen books.

If not, you can try the book ordering service of both bookstores. It should take around a month before it should arrive.

On a side note, I got my copy at Booksale. It was in mint condition, but unfortunately, the cover was the movie cover...

Actually, I've been scouring the shelves of every Booksale I see in the hopes of finding a copy. You never know...

But anyway, thanks for the tip man. I know my next stop.

The search continues...
    Wala pa ba? And I saw it on the shelf (three of them) in Border's bookstore in my area. PM mo lang ako kung sakali.
  • Alt+Ctrl+DelAlt+Ctrl+Del PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    In the past I get most of my books from Merriam-Webster Bookstore and the sidewalks of Recto, although the books they sell seem to have been leafed through thousands of times since the Japanese occupation.

If you're not a frequent Manila traveller, you could inquire at help desks from Powerbooks and get a reservation (for free!) if the books you're looking for are unavailable and out of stock.

\currently searching for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • ^I bought a compilation (5 books in one!) of the Hitchhiker series at www.avalon.ph for P500, and I also saw the same compilation being sold in A Different Bookstore in Glorietta for P650.

Old thread: Robert Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS

• \currently searching for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just made my bookstore trip recently and there's a copy at Booktopia in Libis, Eastwood (it's beside CitiBank, in the same place where Pizza Hut is).

Originally bought my copy from A Different Bookstore/Ink & Stone.
  • ^^ I seem to be the only one who pieced my Hitchhiker Trilogy (Yes there are 5 books!) together backwards thru NBS, booksale and an occasional book drive "treasure hunt". All in all I prolly spent less than P150 on the whole thing. Still wanna buy the compilation though.
  • Short stories of Philip K. ****, kainis wala akong makita.