Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

In search of sci-fi classics...

Well, actually, I'm just looking for one specific book right now....

STARSHIP TROOPERS by Robert Heinlein.

I've searched every nook and cranny of every new and second hand bookstore that i could find but to no avail.

Does anyone know a place where I can get one in manila or does anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to part with?

I just want to know if Rico really was Filipino (and not Argentinian, like in the movie) and if there was really a battle ship called "The Ramon Magsaysay". :)

And can anybody suggest any good readings out there as well? :)
«1

Comments

  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Well, actually, I'm just looking for one specific book right now....

    STARSHIP TROOPERS by Robert Heinlein.

    I've searched every nook and cranny of every new and second hand bookstore that i could find but to no avail.

    Does anyone know a place where I can get one in manila or does anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to part with?

    I just want to know if Rico really was Filipino (and not Argentinian, like in the movie) and if there was really a battle ship called "The Ramon Magsaysay". :)

    And can anybody suggest any good readings out there as well? :)

    Weird. And I have this exact paperback sitting on my shelf at home.
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hello dunedain!

    Errmmm... willing to part with that copy sitting on your shelf? :D
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hard to part with it. For one, it was a present from my gf-now-wife 6 years ago (sentimental value), and the paperback I have has the original cover (guy in a suit that looks like back in Flash Gordon days and a glass bubble helmet - dark and retro). The new ones have the movie cover which is common these days. Wala ba sa E-Bay pinas?
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Best way I could go around it is get the new one, send it over to my sister in Pinas and sell it to you.
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Wow that does sound priceless. Wouldn't give it up myself. :)

    But yeah, I've searched everywhere here but to no avail... :depressed: How much does it usually go for there?
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Wow that does sound priceless. Wouldn't give it up myself. :)

    But yeah, I've searched everywhere here but to no avail... :depressed: How much does it usually go for there?

    This is the cover that I was talking about.

    5000726.gif

    I think I can check at Barnes and Nobles or Borders on the way home from work. Based from the price, it looks like "in-best-condition" (as in brand new) would be US$6.99 (and most likely, the same cover). Will post result later.
  • ^^ I have a copy with that exact same cover. Bought it here in Manila, back in the early-mid-nineties. NBS used to have boatloads of Starship Trooper books.

    To the thread starter, quick answers to your questions, yes and yes! :)
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Oh hey! Thanks Dunedain! I'd really appreciate that! :D
    Bhodi Li wrote:
    ^^ I have a copy with that exact same cover. Bought it here in Manila, back in the early-mid-nineties. NBS used to have boatloads of Starship Trooper books.

    To the thread starter, quick answers to your questions, yes and yes! :)

    Well isn't that something? I heard from someone that Heinlein was impressed with our culture or something. :)

    Reminds me of the time I first discovered the game Front Mission 3 which also had several pinoy characters and portrayed the Philippines as one kick *** naval power. :D
  • ^^ We should be a kickas$ naval power seeing as the country is surrounded by water. :(

    Anyhoo, Robert Sheckley's Immortality Inc. (w/c was the basis for the movie Freejack) also mentions the Philippines.

    You'll prolly get more responses if you moved this to the Arts and Literature forum. There's an E-book trading thread there, who knows you might find a not-quite-legal copy of Starship Troopers :)
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Bhodi Li wrote:
    ^^ We should be a kickas$ naval power seeing as the country is surrounded by water. :(

    Anyhoo, Robert Sheckley's Immortality Inc. (w/c was the basis for the movie Freejack) also mentions the Philippines.

    You'll prolly get more responses if you moved this to the Arts and Literature forum. There's an E-book trading thread there, who knows you might find a not-quite-legal copy of Starship Troopers :)

    wow. thanks for all the help guys!

    Ummm Bhodi, how would i do that? I'm kinda new here... hehe...
  • ^^ You mean moving the thread? Not exactly sure myself :) Why not just post in the e-book thread or create a similar thread there?
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Bhodi Li wrote:
    ^^ You mean moving the thread? Not exactly sure myself :) Why not just post in the e-book thread or create a similar thread there?

    ...now why didn't i think of that? hehehe :D
  • I'm not sure if they have it right now since it's been some time I've been to the place, but you can try A Different Bookstore in Makati or Booktopia in Libis. They do carry Robert Heinlen books.

    If not, you can try the book ordering service of both bookstores. It should take around a month before it should arrive.

    On a side note, I got my copy at Booksale. It was in mint condition, but unfortunately, the cover was the movie cover...
  • tikbalangbynitetikbalangbynite PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    kamen wrote:
    I'm not sure if they have it right now since it's been some time I've been to the place, but you can try A Different Bookstore in Makati or Booktopia in Libis. They do carry Robert Heinlen books.

    If not, you can try the book ordering service of both bookstores. It should take around a month before it should arrive.

    On a side note, I got my copy at Booksale. It was in mint condition, but unfortunately, the cover was the movie cover...

    Actually, I've been scouring the shelves of every Booksale I see in the hopes of finding a copy. You never know...

    But anyway, thanks for the tip man. I know my next stop.

    The search continues...
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Wala pa ba? And I saw it on the shelf (three of them) in Border's bookstore in my area. PM mo lang ako kung sakali.
  • Alt+Ctrl+DelAlt+Ctrl+Del PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    In the past I get most of my books from Merriam-Webster Bookstore and the sidewalks of Recto, although the books they sell seem to have been leafed through thousands of times since the Japanese occupation.

    If you're not a frequent Manila traveller, you could inquire at help desks from Powerbooks and get a reservation (for free!) if the books you're looking for are unavailable and out of stock.

    \currently searching for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • ^I bought a compilation (5 books in one!) of the Hitchhiker series at www.avalon.ph for P500, and I also saw the same compilation being sold in A Different Bookstore in Glorietta for P650.

    Old thread: Robert Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS

  • \currently searching for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

    Just made my bookstore trip recently and there's a copy at Booktopia in Libis, Eastwood (it's beside CitiBank, in the same place where Pizza Hut is).

    Originally bought my copy from A Different Bookstore/Ink & Stone.
  • ^^ I seem to be the only one who pieced my Hitchhiker Trilogy (Yes there are 5 books!) together backwards thru NBS, booksale and an occasional book drive "treasure hunt". All in all I prolly spent less than P150 on the whole thing. Still wanna buy the compilation though.
  • Short stories of Philip K. ****, kainis wala akong makita.
Sign In or Register to comment.