2005 US faceoff: Lancer Evo MR vs. Impreza WRX STi — PinoyExchange

2005 US faceoff: Lancer Evo MR vs. Impreza WRX STi

shun_sakurai
shun_sakurai when in doubt, FLAT OUT!
Interesting read for those who follow the age-old Scooby vs. Evo rally replica conflict. Car and Driver reviewed the 2005 US versions of each car.

Main shoot-out article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9043

"Why do these similar cars feel so different?"
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9052&page_number=1

Comments

• OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    I bought the issue. :) Nice read. Evo won this round.
  • shun_sakurai
    I bought the issue. Nice read. Evo won this round.
    Naks! :)

Seems like the Evo 8s have been lording it over the understeery GDB Imprezas for the past few years...Subaru's had to combat them with tricked-out versions of the STi like the Spec C just to have a chance. :(
  • OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    Between the two, I'd go with the Subaru. I just wish parts were as common as with the Lancer.
  • elyserva
    elyserva Crazy Penguin
    Why doesn't Toyota and Honda gets into world rallying? They have the money & technology, and it's much cheaper than Formula 1!? Or they don't have the mindset!?
  • toyota is into rallying.. i think. yung hatchback na corolla tsaka celica ata ang ginagamit..
  • If remember correctly, Toyota was into Rallying (w/ the Celica) before they joined F1. They had these white, green, and red cars.

IMO, F1 has a larger fan base (and media exposure), even if Rally cars are much closer to what we really drive.
  • elyserva
    elyserva Crazy Penguin
    Yeah! So with Hyundai! I don't think it is offcially supported. I believe they're being run by privateers.
  • Hyundai was in the WRC for a few years with the Accent. They pulled out recently though. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to pull out of the WRC and come back. Mitsubishi pulled out last year, and Skoda and Peugeot (I think, tama ba?) the year before, but they're back in the hunt now.
  • i think toyota pulled out of rallying because it wants to concentrate its focus and finances on building its F1 team. The last toyota WRC was a corolla hatcback with those round headlights. i think its sometimes useless for a car company to participate in the World rally championship and Not see any technology or special cars trickle down to the consumers. which is why i think mitsubishi and subaru are one of the few who deserves to win the WRC. Because whenever their drivers win the WRC Crown you start to see special editions of their popular WRC cars.
  • shun_sakurai
    Rally cars are much closer to what we really drive.
    I disagree. Suspension pa lang ng WRC at stock na Impreza WRX STi, malaki na ang pinagkaiba. If you were to subject a street-legal Scooby to the same type of abuse found in Rally Australia, jumps and all, I strongly believe your shocks would be long gone before you finish one stage.

The draw of WRC is that the cars look like your street-legal versions on the outside, but on the inside they're still very different despite the WRC tech trickling down to street driver level.

Touring cars, on the other hand, are very similar to what you can see on the streets.
  • I disagree.
    I was comparing them to F1 cars which are a planets away from our regular econoboxes.
  • OTEP R
    OTEP R Tsikot.com Admin
    WRC vehicles are heavily modified versions of their street counterparts. So in essence, if you had the time and money, you can modify your box stock Scooby or Evo into something similar to the WRC vehicle. The potential will always be there because the vehicles themselves started out as production vehicles (though hand picked before they were assembled).

Try converting your Chevy Lumina or Ford Taurus to become a Nascar racer. hehehehe.
  • BOOGIECAT
    BOOGIECAT Banned by Admin
    I think ilang beses nang nanalo ang Evo 8 sa Impreza.Though i still prefer the Evo 8.
  • z wrote:
    I disagree. Suspension pa lang ng WRC at stock na Impreza WRX STi, malaki na ang pinagkaiba. If you were to subject a street-legal Scooby to the same type of abuse found in Rally Australia, jumps and all, I strongly believe your shocks would be long gone before you finish one stage.

The draw of WRC is that the cars look like your street-legal versions on the outside, but on the inside they're still very different despite the WRC tech trickling down to street driver level.

Touring cars, on the other hand, are very similar to what you can see on the streets.
    I remember watching an episode of Top Gear where in they featured the Hyundai Accent WRC. The driver mentioned that they only retain 10% of the econobox's original parts & the rest are designed for rallying.

I agree with shun_sakurai as the retail version of the Impreza are built & priced for driving on tarmac for the consumer market. The cars you see on WRC are built & budgeted to win or try to win in racing. If you were to spec a Impreza for WRC standards it would cost about half a million dollars.

BTW the Mitsubishi rally car used right now isnt an Evo but a Lancer WRC04. :)
  • shun_sakurai
    I think ilang beses nang nanalo ang Evo 8 sa Impreza.
    Same could be said of the Evo VII when it was the Lancer WRC02...for some reason Mitsubishi aren't winning rallies with the latest Lancer Cedia chassis.

The opposite is true in some other tournaments though. In Singapore's sanctioned "carpark rallies," the Imprezas have slowly died out while the Evo VII/VIII brigade have practically lorded it over there.