Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

The Sopranos

Ever heard of the HBO TV Series " The Sopranos" starred by James Gadolfini??

I've already watched yong Season 1 nila sa DVD and I found it very interesting. Di kaya sya ipapalabas d2 sa Pinas?? what do you think??

News and Awards

1.19.2005 | ASC Nominates 15 Cinematographers for Honors In Annual TV Competition

The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) has announced nominees in the three television categories of the 19th Annual (ASC) Outstanding Achievement Awards competition. The winners will be named at the ASC Awards gala on February 13.

Episodic Category: Alik Sakharov, ASC for "Long Term Parking"- The Sopranos (HBO).

01.10.2005 | Nominations announced for the 11th annual Screen Actor Guild Awards®

Nominations for the 11th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® for outstanding performances in 2004 in five film and eight primetime television categories were announced in Los Angeles at the Pacific Design Center's SilverScreen Theater.

James Gandolfini-THE SOPRANOS, Tony Soprano - HBO

Drea De Matteo-THE SOPRANOS, Adriana La Cerva - HBO

Edie Falco-THE SOPRANOS, Carmela Soprano - HBO

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series- The Sopranos

12.14.2004 | AFI Awards Official Selections announced

AFI TV Program of the year- The Sopranos

12.14.2004 | 57th Annual Writers Guild Awards Television and Radio Nominees Announced

Long Term Parking (The Sopranos), Written by Terence Winter; HBO

12.14.2004 | Nominated Productions for 2005 PGA Awards

Norman Felton Producer of the Year Award Episodic Drama: The Sopranos: David Chase, Brad Grey, Mitchell Burgess & Robin Green, Ilene S. Landress, Terence Winter, Henry Bronchtein, Matthew Weiner, Martin Bruestle.

12.15.04 | Catch Edie Falco on Broadway!

The Soprano's own EDIE FALCO has opened on Broadway in the Pulitzer prizewinning 'night, Mother -- delivering a powerful performance critics are calling "first-rate," "riveting" and "remarkable." View "The Buzz" on "night, Mother."

Quicktime | Realplayer

12.14.2004 | Sopranos receives Golden Globe® award nominatons

The Sopranos received 4 Golden Globe nominations.

Best Television Series - Drama

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series: Edie Falco

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Drea de Matteo

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Michael Imperioli

The Golden Globe®Awards will be announced January. 16 in Los Angeles. For the entire list of HBO nominations click here.

09.20.2004 | Sopranos receives Emmy® awards

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series James Gandolfini

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series Edie Falco

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Steve Buscemi, Michael Imperioli

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series Drea de Matteo

07.22.2004 | Sopranos wins DVD of the year

THE SOPRANOS -THE COMPLETE FOURTH SEASON won the TV Series on DVD of the Year Award at the Home Entertainment 2004 Awards.

7.20.2004 | Television Critics Association announces

The Sopranos: OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

07.15.2004 | Sopranos receives Emmy® nominations

The Sopranos received 20 Emmy® nominations it was announced by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.

06.08.2004 | The Sopranos nominated for TCA awards

The Sopranos received 4 nominations for 2004 Televison Critics Awards: Program of the year, Outstanding Achievement in Drama, Individual Achievement in Drama: Edie Falco and James Gandolfini. The winners will be announced on July 17

06.01.2004 | Sopranos to return for sixth season

The Sopranos is set for a sixth season. The ten-episode sixth season will begin production in early 2005. No date is available for when the season will premiere. Check back for details.

03.29.2004 | HBO announces a partnership with Sprint Nationwide PCS Network

Sprint PCS VisionSM Customers Can Feel Like They're Part of the "Family" with Mobile Content from the HBO® Award-Winning Series THE SOPRANOS®

Ringers, screen savers and applications based on the hit show available beginning late March to customers nationwide.

ATLANTA (CTIA Wireless 2004) - March 22, 2004 - Fans of THE SOPRANOS® everywhere on the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network can see Tony Soprano - and more - every time they answer their phone. Sprint (NYSE: FON, PCS) and HBO announce a partnership to bring ringers, screen savers and other content from the critically acclaimed series to Sprint PCS VisionSM customers nationwide, providing fans of the show a unique and personal way to stay "connected".

"Mobile customers look to their phones as a way to be entertained and say something about their personality, as well as to make a phone call. Sprint is committed to bringing current, popular content to its Sprint PCS Vision customers. THE SOPRANOS is one of the most popular, talked-about television series in history, and Sprint is excited to offer our customers a part of that history," said Jeff Hallock, vice president of consumer product marketing for Sprint.

"Providing HBO content through Sprint enables us to connect with fans of THE SOPRANOS, giving them more of what they want,"said Michael Bishara, vice president, product development at HBO. "oing wireless is a new business for us and a natural way of extending the HBO brand. It creates a unique way to introduce HBO to a whole new audience. We envision this as just the beginning, and plan to expand content offerings to include our other popular series."

A mix of free and premium downloadable content from THE SOPRANOS will be available for a limited period of exclusivity on select Java-nabled Sprint PCS Vision Phones, and will include:

THE SOPRANOS branded portal on the Sprint PCS Vision platform

J2ME THE SOPRANOS Trivia game: Players can test their show knowledge in this fast-paced trivia game, with questions from all five seasons of THE SOPRANOS, and bonus "speed round" after each new episode. Difficulty in levels of questions varies from Soldier (easy) to Capo (medium) to Boss (difficult).

Ringers: polyphonic THE SOPRANOS theme song.

Screen Savers: THE SOPRANOS logo and images of the cast.

Browseable content including episode previews and recaps, show replay schedule, polls and alerts.

HBO is working with Proteus, the leading U.S. developer and producer of wireless entertainment applications to deliver the mobile content.

02.25.2004 | The Sopranos

Stay tuned for the official DVD release of Season Five of The Sopranos from HBO Video. Any copies for sale at this time are not authorized by HBO.

The Sopranos wins 4 Emmy® Awards:

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: James Gandolfini

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Edie Falco

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Joe Pantoliano

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: David Chase, Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess: Whitecaps

Sidney Wolinsky won the ACE Eddie Award in 2003 for Best Edited One-Hour Series For Television for the episode "White Caps" from Season 4 of The Sopranos.

Edie Falco (Carmela Soprano) won the SAG award for Female actor in a drama series.

Director John Patterson won the DGA award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in: Dramatic Series Night for the episode "Whitecaps" -The Sopranos.

Edie Falco of The Sopranos was the winner of the Golden Globes® Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series.

ACE Eddie Awards:BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES FOR TELEVISION: Conrad Gonzalez - The Sopranos: "The Pine Barrens"

Edie Falco of The Sopranos was the winner of the Golden Globes® Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series.

American Film Institute:

DRAMA SERIES OF THE YEAR: The Sopranos

ACTOR OF THE YEAR-MALE: James Gandolfini-The Sopranos

ACTOR OF THE YEAR- FEMALE:Edie Falco-The Sopranos

CINE Golden Eagle Film and Video Competition

CINE GOLDEN EAGLE AWARD: The Sopranos: "The Fortunate Son"

Columbus International Film & Video Festival CHRIS AWARD: The Sopranos

Costume Designers Guild Awards

EXCELLENCE IN COSTUME DESIGN FOR TELEVISION - CONTEMPORARY: Juliet Polcsa-The Sopranos

Golden Satellite Awards

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SERIES, DRAMA Edie Falco- The Sopranos

New York Festivals

GOLD WORLDMEDAL- DRAMA: The Sopranos: "The Fortunate Son"

Writer's Guild Awards (WGA)

EPISODIC DRAMA: Tim Van Patten (story) & Terence Winter (teleplay\story)- The Sopranos: "Pine Barrens"

The Sopranos wins 3 Emmy® Awards:

Best Actor in a Drama- James Gandolfini

Best Actress in a Drama- Edie Falco
,br> Writing for a Drama Series (Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess, "Employee of the Month")

BANFF Television Festival Rockie Awards

CONTINUING SERIES: The Sopranos

CINE Golden Eagle Film and Video Awards

GOLDEN EAGLE AWARD: The Sopranos: "Bust Out"

Columbus International Film & Video Festival - Chris Awards

THE CHRIS AWARD: The Sopranos

Entertainment Industries Council Prism Awards

CERTIFICATE OF MERIT: The Sopranos- "Problems of Her Own"

George Foster Peabody Awards

The Sopranos

Television Critics Association Awards

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: The Sopranos

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: James Gandolfini-The Sopranos

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: The Sopranos

BANFF Television Festival Rockie Awards

CONTINUING SERIES: The Sopranos

CINE Golden Eagle Film and Video Awards

GOLDEN EAGLE AWARD: The Sopranos: "Guy Walks Into A Psychiatrist's Office"

Cinema Audio Society

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING FOR TELEVISION SERIES: The Sopranos- "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano"

Columbus International Film & Video Festival (Chris Awards)

: THE BRONZE PLAQUE: The Sopranos

Directors Guild Awards

OUTSTANDING DIRECTORIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMATIC SERIES NIGHT: David Chase- The Sopranos "Pilot"

Primetime Emmy® Awards

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES: James Gandolfini- The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING ART DIRECTION FOR A SINGLE-CAMERA SERIES: James Spencer & Leslie Thomas- The Sopranos:

Entertainment Industries Council Prism Awards

CERTIFICATE OF MERIT: The Sopranos: "Denial, Anger, Acceptance"

George Foster Peabody Awards

The Sopranos

Golden Globe® Awards

BEST TELEVISION SERIES- DRAMA: The Sopranos BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES- DRAMA: Edie Falco- The Sopranos

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION: Nancy Marchand- The Sopranos

International Radio & Television Society

FOUNDATION AWARD: The Sopranos

Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAG)

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES: James Gandolfini- The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A FEMALE ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES: Edie Falco- The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN ENSEMBLE IN A DRAMA SERIES: The Sopranos

Television Critics Association Awards

INDIVIDUAL DRAMA: James Gandolfini- The Sopranos

Writers Guild Awards (WGA)

EPISODIC DRAMA: Jason Cahil- The Sopranos "Meadowlands"

CTAM/Cablevision Mark Awards AFFILIATE COMMUNICATIONS-EMPLOYEE TRAINING INITIATIVES GOLD MEDAL

PROGRAM PROMOTION/TUNE-IN-CAMPAIGN GOLD MEDAL: The Sopranos Point-of-Sale Training Initiative

NON-SUBSCRIBER ACQUISITION-CAMPAIGN SILVER MEDAL: The Sopranos Off Channel Marketing

AFFILIATE COMMUNICATIONS-CAMPAIGN SILVER MEDAL Sopranos Acquisition Campaign

Chicago International Television Competition

GOLD HUGO: DRAMATIC SERIES: The Sopranos

Columbus International Film & Video Festival - Chris Awards

THE CHRIS: The Sopranos

Directors Guild Awards (DGA)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTORAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMATIC SERIES- NIGHT: David Chase-The Sopranos: "Pilot"

Primetime Emmy® Awards

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES Edie Falco- The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES James Manos Jr.- The Sopranos: "College"

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A SERIES: Georgianne Walken & Sheila Jaffe- The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING SINGLE-CAMERA PICTURE EDITING FOR A SERIES: Joanna Cappuccilli- The Sopranos: "Pilot"

The Hollywood Reporter Young Star Awards

YOUNG ACTRESS/PERFORMANCE IN A DRAMA TV SERIES: Jamie Lynn Sigler- The Sopranos

YOUNG ACTOR/PERFORMANCE IN A DRAMA TV SERIES Robert Iler- The Sopranos

National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) (31st Annual) Media Awards

HONORABLE MENTION- DIVERSE FAMILY SYSTEMS: The Sopranos: "Pilot"

New York Festivals- Television Programming & Promotion Competition

GRAND AWARD: BEST ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAM: The Sopranos- "College"

Television Critics Association (TCA)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM: The Sopranos

OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: James Gandolfini- The Sopranos

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: The Sopranos

Comments

• YES! Its indeed a great show and personally have become number 1 among my favourites. Regarding your question, I think it will probably never be shown here locally. The whole show is full of foul words and scenes that aren't suitable for a conservative country like the Philippines. So I guess you should stick to DVDs (not bad naman for collection for a good series diba?) like I did. The available DVDs are only up to season 4 the season 5 is STILL not out yet (you can watch it via download). Currently, they are filming for season 6 right now and should be expected to air in the US in 2006 pa.

BTW, pls dont post the whole news sections of http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/ ><!
  • this show is great. unfortunately i read somewhere that it will never be shown on asia because it's too controversial.
  • crybabymakicrybabymaki PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    the 6th and last season of the sopranos starts march on HBO *okay*

:heart:
  • the 6th and last season of the sopranos starts march on HBO *okay*

:heart:

uy talaga? where did you get that info? bilis naman! sana hindi siya talaga final season. hmm ten episodes lang season 6 diba. :(
  • Another thing that makes me think it wont be the last because the news section of Sopranos website removed the word 'final' on the announcement of a sixth season. And also with this article...
    http://www.gandolfini.com/news.html
    'Sopranos' May get Reprieve for Seventh Season
    December 7, 2004
    BY BILL ZWECKER SUN - TIMES COLUMNIST

A number of Italian-American civic organizations won't be cheering, but fans of ''The Sopranos'' will be happy to learn there's a chance — though nothing's confirmed — that the upcoming sixth season of the award-winning HBO series may not be the final one.

At the American Museum of the Moving Image tribute to John Travolta in New York over the weekend, "The Sopranos" star James Gandolfini told foxnews.com, "Nothing is definite about ending [the series] ... but with David [Chase], you never know."

Gandolfini also explained the sixth season of the drama series about a fictional New Jersey crime family won't begin taping until May, due to big-screen film commitments both for himself and Edie Falco.

The actor joked about his futile effort to make a story suggestion to Chase — involving expanding Michael Imperioli's role as Christopher and perhaps involving him with Lorraine Bracco's Dr. Melfi. "But he didn't listen to me. David Chase, he does what he wants," Gandolfini told foxnews.com's Roger Friedman.

oh yeah i think it's really impossible to see season 6 in march since they will begin taping on may.
  • it was on WOWOW, but I just bought the VCDs. I think its Singapore that is blocking its showing on HBO.
  • ^Screw Singapore. Just kidding! We're missing out on a lot (for us who love movies about the underworld/mafia/mob/whateveryouwanttocallit) :D
  • great show.
    im about to start watching season 3!
  • im just giving advice that dont get too excited on season 4 because it is slightly boring or nothing significant happening but be pleased to hear that season 5 is where all things that happened during season 4 will add up to bring a good 5th season. well on season 6, of course all sopranos fans are still predicting what will happen.
  • ^Well, I don't know about being boring and insignificant because after all, this was the season Joe Pantoliani was on, the FBI was hot on Tony's trail, and the show won three of the four Emmys for acting. The episode Whitecaps alone is worth the price of the entire box set, IMO.

I haven't seen S5 yet, but with your post and the show's Best Drama win in the Emmys (finally), I can't wait for the DVDs.
  • Hmmm, it will never be shown here. I mean, come on, since its debut in January,1999, do you think that after six years, it will still be shown here? Only hardcore Soprano fans here would do great lengths to get a copy of the earlier seasons and episodes, especially when pirated DVDs and CDs were not that rampant yet in 1999 and 2000. Some people I know even asked their relatives in the States to record the show for them and ship /bring the VHS home in the next homecoming. Too much Godfather, Goodfellas, Scarface,Untouchables, Mobsters etc. in their system, I guess... Today we have it easy. Pirated DVDs, cheap original VCDs in Video City (up to the 3rd season only, though, i think) ...Nothing beats the original DVDs though, with the commentaries (Steve Buscemi as director rocks!) and pretty glossy boxes.

Btw, theres also this other HBO series called Curb Your Enthusiasm, from the creator of Seinfeld. I have no idea if this was shown here already or if they have plans to show it...

But I have to say that Sopranos is a great show! I find Michael Imperioli cute. :) Those hot Italian men. Hrrrr.
  • If they can show Sex and the City here in the Philippines, why can't they show The Sopranos here? Anyway, I've already watched the 1st 4 seasons and I personally think the 1st season was the best followed by the 3rd season. The Whitecaps episode of season 4 is also a favorite. I refrain from buying pirated VCDs/DVDs so I guess I have to wait to watch the 5th season.
  • Season Five DVDs is out on the market. Quiapo market, I mean.

I got mine for P330. Sweet!!
  • of course there are great episodes in season 4! I like whitecaps myself. all i m saying is the overall depth of season 4 is not great compared to previous seasons that's all!

the ones on quiapo are non-hbo copies. i have to wait pa.

regarding showing it in here. sex and the city has sex scenes and yes it can be easily cut to be able to show it here in asia but the sopranos is different. Sopranos has sex scenes, violent (sometimes gory) situations, and a foul word in almost every sentence! those cannot be cut because it will destroy the story and the dialogue. so that's the reason why it wont be shown here.
  • Here's the The Sopranos Syndication Story:

HBO's 'Sopranos' Sale to A&E Channel Sets Record
    Tue Feb 1, 4:39 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters TV

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Cable television powerhouse HBO has agreed to sell rerun rights for its hit mob drama "The Sopranos" to the A&E cable network in a deal industry sources put at a record $2.5 million per episode.

The acquisition, which A&E said on Monday had been agreed to in principal, marks the biggest per-episode sum ever paid for "off-network" distribution of an existing TV series, industry observers said.

The deal covers 65 episodes from the show's first five seasons, plus 10 to 13 additional hours from a sixth season that recently went into production, an A&E spokesman said.

Both networks said the acquisition would extend to a seventh season if series creator and executive producer David Chase were to renew his deal with HBO.

A&E, a basic cable outlet that reaches about 88 million homes -- nearly triple HBO's subscriber base -- plans to begin airing reruns of "The Sopranos" in the fall of 2006.

HBO is a unit of Time Warner Inc., while A&E is co-owned by the Walt Disney Co., the Hearst Corp. and NBC Universal, controlled by the General Electric Co. .

The previous benchmark for off-network distribution was set last year when NBC's broadcast drama "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," was sold to sister cable channels USA and Bravo for a reported $1.92 million per episode. USA and Bravo are all units of NBC Universal.

The "Sopranos" deal is all the more striking because it involves a single network's purchase of rights to a show that has never before been offered to advertisers.

Another signature HBO property, the hit comedy "Sex and the City," was previously sold to Time Warner's TBS cable channel in a deal valued at about $1 million per episode. Rerun rights to "Sex and the City" also were sold in a separate deal to the Tribune Co.'s broadcast TV stations.

"The Sopranos," starring James Gandolfini (news) as a conflicted New Jersey mob boss, has been a critical favorite since debuting on HBO in 1999 and has grown into one of the most highly rated series in the history of cable TV. The show won an Emmy Award in September as television's best drama series.

In terms of making the gritty, profanity-laced show more suitable for a broader basic-cable audience, A&E's spokesman said the network would "work closely with HBO to meet our broadcast standards."

He added it was possible that A&E might run a "clean" version of the show earlier in the evening and uncut segments later at night.

Reuters/VNU
  • nice news!

pero mukhang wala A&E sa pinas.

i guess i would have to support and pray on david chase to produce more nice stories for the show.
  • quarkstorm wrote:
    If they can show Sex and the City here in the Philippines, why can't they show The Sopranos here?

Well, because the word '****' is mentioned every 20 seconds. #2, It highly objectifies women and deals with a taboo topic that I highly doubt the Phil. censors are going to go lightly on.
  • A Soparanos Season Seven? Read on.

From Yahoo! News

A "Sopranos" Stay of Execution?
    By Sarah Hall
    Tue Jun 7, 2005 6:30 PM ET

It seems The Sopranos may not be sleeping with the fishes as soon as expected.

Despite creator David Chase's claims that the upcoming sixth season of the show would be the last for his gang of merry mobsters, the Sopranos mastermind appears to have left the door open for a possible seventh season.

At a media breakfast for the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications last month, Chase was asked whether the sixth season would mark the conclusion of the hugely popular HBO series.

According to Broadcasting & Cable magazine, Chase indicated that he felt the show had run its creative course, but said that there could be a seventh season without altering the outcome of the sixth season already in production.

Chase's admission seemed to be the first clue that the show's protagonist, Tony Soprano ( James Gandolfini), would avoid getting whacked in the near future, leaving the door open for a seventh season, as well as a rumored Sopranos movie.

At the DVD release party for the fifth season of The Sopranos Monday, Chase again said he was mulling the idea of extending the show's run.

"I'm ambivalent," Chase told reporters. "HBO wants me to do it, and I can't deny that there's a certain pull on me from the cast."

It's not the first time the Emmy-winning Sopranos creator and executive producer has given the show a stay of execution.

Chase has wavered about bringing the show back ever since the fourth season when his initial contract expired.

After HBO made him an offer he couldn't refuse (pegged at somewhere between $15 million to $20 million), Chase agreed to return for a fifth season, with the caveat that it would likely be the last.

Just when he thought he was out, HBO pulled him back in for a sixth season deal--just 10 more episodes instead of the customary 13.

Apparently, the allure of the mob is hard to resist--even the small-screen version.

Chase said he would decide whether to add a seven-episode seventh season sometime this month.

The sixth season of the show will premiere in March 2006 with 13 new episodes.

Some 11 million viewers tuned in for the fifth-season closer last June, which featured Tony Soprano putting a bullet in the brain of his cousin, Tony Blundetto (Steve Buscemi).

--- end of article ---

Amazon.com is shipping out Season 5 DVDs now. Get 'em while they're hot. Mine's in the mail. :gloat:
  • The Sopranos ..........

Tony Soprano
    Dr. Jennifer Melfi
    Carmela Soprano
    Christopher Moltisanti
    Corrado "Junior" Soprano Jr.
    Salvatore "Big *****" Bonpensiero
    Silvio Dante
    Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
    Anthony "A.J." Soprano Jr.
    Meadow Soprano
    Adriana La Cerva