Home PEx Campus The Academe

education not to be advertised

clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
well i just want to know your opinions about this topic.....

& i think that you don't need to advertise a school just to attract students.... it's your quality/standard as a school that will build your reputation....and as well as on attracting good students....
heard of any university making an ad? lol! :)

Comments

• nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    I'm not sure I agree with you. I've read several business publications that have Ivy League schools advertising their curriculum. I mean, Stanford always highlights their Executive Program in Business Week. All these Swiss and European Universities often place their ad in various other reputable journals and magazines. I don't think that advertising degrades a school's reputation at all. Sometimes you just have to go the extra mile to attract good talent.

By the way, I think I know what schools you are mentioning about -- Do they happen to have a supposedly extensive computer training? :D

• AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Nix: The school of the future today? ;)

I don't think a school needs to spend a huge amount on advertising to attract students. What it needs to do, I believe, is invest on making it's programs/courses the best they can be. A school's reputation precedes (almost) everything and no amount of advertising can replace it. Now if a school chooses to advertise, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The school we have in mind chose to do so because they're a fairly new school and there'd be no other way for them to get students other than to make all those commercials.
  • topnotch97topnotch97 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    it reminds me of AMA and STI
  • It is quite alright and acceptable to advertise as long as the schools involved speak the truth about the capabilities of their schools. Remember, proper education should begin with the authorities of the school. If they utilize advertising as a gimmick just to lure students but does not ascribe to the truth, then the purpose of their being an educational institution would have been defeated, Thank you. Peace.
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    I'm really not comfortable with these schools using mass media for advertising. I mean, the money used for advertising should be used for something else. Or advertising should be more targetted. Also, advertising should be straightforward. What's happening is that people are being fooled into believing some things which are not true. I should know because I have friends from these schools which advertise big time, and they themselves laugh at the commercials we see on TV.

The number 1 purpose of schools, though they are also businesses, should be education. With the heavy advertising of certain schools, I can't help but think they really want to make money out of the students.
  • yeah i saw that school ad in business week. and noon pa i see ateneo law school and the mba program advertising in the dailies. that is for people who happen to be so busy and just are newspaper readers. obviously, those ads are for the professionals who don't have the time to go to schools and check on graduate school offerings. so what is my point? the fact of the matter is, these welll known institutions don't spend huge sums of money to lure students by seeing a fancy TV ad. kasi sometimes if they see that you can make a really appealing advertisment, it follows that it is a good school. that isn't always the case. media should not be used as a tool to lure students on what school to choose. put up a small ordinary ad in the paper advertising STI, AMA, Lyceum, and whatever other schools, lets see who'll respond. only a few... that is why they have to make it colorful and up-beat...para mang-uto! these are passe methods...sobrang baduy! if you want to prove to the people you are what you claim you are prove it not by any other means of ads. x's: have you seen UP posting undergraduate courses on TV, radio and print? My point exactly.
  • Originally posted by nix

By the way, I think I know what schools you are mentioning about -- Do they happen to have a supposedly extensive computer training? :D

hahaha [email protected]!!!

im also thinking...but im not thinking of AMA, im thinking of another...supposedly.

i breezed over the last-half-part of the year 1998 and 1999 of the major dailies of the country(MB, PDI, Star, et.al.) and it's not AMA who advertise more than any body...meron isa na mas malala, mas malalaki yung ad...sana alam n'yo...
  • Originally posted by NAPSTER
    Originally posted by nix

hahaha [email protected]!!!

im also thinking...but im not thinking of AMA, im thinking of another...supposedly.

i breezed over the last-half-part of the year 1998 and 1999 of the major dailies of the country(MB, PDI, Star, et.al.) and it's not AMA who advertise more than any body...meron isa na mas malala, mas malalaki yung ad...sana alam n'yo...

parang alam ko yung sinasabi mo...yoko nang magsalita, mabugbog pa ako...hehehehehehe!