Home PEx Campus The Academe

On forums and education

I've been reading the replies to some of the threads of pinoy culture and I'm very impressed by these replies. They're uninhibited, they obviously show a lot of thought, and are smart. I'm very encouraged. Would you agree that online forums are good sources of information and discussion? Do you think it's more conducive to education than, say, the traditional classroom?-

Comments

• Mister Dean...

I couldn't agree with you more! Personally, I learn more from people through interaction where you views and questions are very welcome rather than from teachers who teach you this and that because it's in the curriculum. :)
  • Gathering new ideas from online forums is okay, but there are limitations because not everything posted is true or reliable. I still think that learning inside the classroom where there is a teacher is the best way to be educated.
  • I agree with milk. There are several methods of imparting knowledge to people. Pinoy Exchange provided an innovative way of sharing knowledge. It is great to see people learning about life through a more experiential and informal approach. However, the classroom setting is still an excellent venue for learning more theoretical and conceptual knowledge.
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    BBs and Forums like these are by no means a substitute for the classroom. However, they offer the advantage of interacting with many people from different walks of life to see what they think about certain topics. These will no doubt serve as a complement to what is talked about in school and can certainly inject fresh ideas into classroom discussions. Almost like having several more students and resource speakers in the classroom with you.
  • Mister Dean: let me give you firsthand info on the subject.

Lately, I've been asking my students to post their replies to several topics (I'm sure you know which ones by now!) as a supplement to our discussions in the classroom. The BB helps them to pick up on the threads of discussion and to work off it. Obviously, though, some of them need the practice. But hey, at least they're trying, right? It's an interesting "spice" to add to a classroom situation in terms of their synthesis of the lectures. But, for me, classroom interaction serves more purpose than letting them hide beneath the anonymity of a nickname...

We should talk about this at greater length one of these days. We haven't seen each other in a while!
  • For me, online forum is totally cool and awesome compared to classroom discussions which is really boring.
  • Gold: I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a good experience of learning in the classroom...a lot of times, your participation in class has a lot to do with the subject teacher and his/her methods of teaching.

I'm sure that one of these days, you'll run into a teacher who'll make you want to sit in his/her classroom and listen!
  • Come to think of it, I'm not totally against classroom education. Most of my best experiences in learning has come from the classroom. But my participation in a class depends on the teacher and how he/she motivates me. There are very few teachers nowadays that I would say motivated me. I would like to think that the older ones would keep up with the changing times and once in a while stray away from the norms of teaching ang adapt a different approach to teaching.
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    The classroom and the on-line forum are two very different animals. You can't compare them. There is no way that a BB can take the place of the teacher, no matter how many people contribute to the said topic. I've been around teachers who truly captivate me during their lectures. I'm sure Aragorn knows what I am talking about.

But an On-Line Forum is an interesting complement to the classroom environment. Imagine being able to exchange ideas, thoughts, and opinions on just about anything under the sun? And having the chance to share all this with literally hundreds, and in time, with even thousands of people, adults and students alike. The potential for learning is enormous if done properly. It's an entirely new dimension that could inject knowledge and curiousity into the entire learning process.
  • Originally posted by milk_309
    Gathering new ideas from online forums is okay, but there are limitations because not everything posted is true or reliable. I still think that learning inside the classroom where there is a teacher is the best way to be educated.

What classroom teaching, and structured educational institutions cannot teach us, is how to discern the truth from the volume of information/opinions (most of it nonsense) that are available to people nowadays.

In many cases, I have heard people say that something was true because they read it in school, their teacher said so, or they found it on the internet. Unfortunately that kind of thinking makes us all vulnerable to fraud, hoaxes, and scams.

A forum such as this one is helpful because it gives us the opportunity to sift, something schools cannot always do because they must conserve time, money, and other resources.