Home PEx Sports NBA

Not counting the 1984 batch, which is the best rookie batch?

by rookie batch i mean these players started playing in that particular year regardless of if or when he was drafted.

Stars/Popular Players (draft order)

Allen Iverson (1)
Marcus Camby (2)
Shareef Abdur-Rahim (3)
Stephon Marbury (4)
Ray Allen (5)
Antoine Walker (6)
Kobe Bryant (13)
Steve Nash (15)
Jermaine O'neal (17)
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (20)
Ben Wallace (undrafted)

Notable Role Players

Lorenzen Wright (7)
Kerry Kittles (8)
Samaki Walker (9)
Erick Dampier (10)
Walter Mccarty (19)
Derek Fisher (24)
Jerome Williams (26)
Jeff McInnis (37)
Malik Rose (44)
Shandon Anderson (54)

Mike Bibby (2)
Antawn Jamison (4)
Vince Carter (5)
Jason Williams (7)
Larry Hughes (8)
Dirk Nowitzki (9)
Paul Pierce (10)
Peja Stojakovic (14 in 1996)
Al Harrington (25)
Nazr Mohammed (29)
Rashard Lewis (32)
Cuttino Mobley (41)

Notable Role Players

Michael Olowokandi (1)
Raef Lafrentz (3)
Robert "Tractor" Traylor (6)
Bonzi Wells (11)
Matt Harpring (15)
Ricky Davis (21)
Tyronn Lue (23)
Ruben Patterson (31)

Lebron James (1)
Carmelo Anthony (3)
Chris Bosh (4)
Dwyane Wade (5)
Krik Hinrich (7)
Josh Howard (29)
Marquis Daniels (undrafted)

Notable Role Players

Chris Kaman (6)
TJ Ford (8; could've been great this year)
Mike Sweetney (9)
Jarvis Hayes (10)
Mickael Pietrus (11)
Nick Collison (12)
Marcus Banks (13)
Luke Ridnour (14)
David West (18)
Zoran Planinic (22)
Brian Cook (24)
Leandro Barbosa (28)
Jason Kapono (31)
Willie Green (41)
Zaza Pachulia (42)
Keith Bogans (43)
Matt Bonner (45)
Maurice Williams (47)
James Jones (49)
Kyle Korver (51)

there were some players from 1996 and 1998 that i omitted from the lists just so my post won't be too long, but i had to place all decent players from 2003 because they're only sophomores so some of them still haven't found their niche just yet.

anyway, which batch do you like the most?

Comments

• I also go for the '96 batch other than the '84...
  • tractor traylor counted among notable role players? count him among journeymen! i think dallas traded him to milwaukee for dirk nowitzki, look who's by far the better player now... :glee:

batch 2003 seems to have potential...lebron, carmelo, dwyane, hinrich, etc. but i'd go for 1996 for now...from spots 1-6 you have marquee players (camby could've been a franchise player if not for injury problems) and you have kobe at #13, nash at #15, jermaine o'neal at #17, big ben undrafted...that WAS a rookie class!!! :D
  • ^

tractor plays 15-20 minutes a game on a winning cavs team, ahe he's SO BIG so i'd have to say that he's notable. hehe.
  • '99 Draft- Brand, Francis, Baron Davis, Marion, Odom, Hamilton, Maggette, Kirilenko, Andre Miller, Artest, Jason Terry, Ginobili
  • Wasn't Eddie Jones also drafted in 96? Or batch ni Kidd and Grant Hill yun?
  • sinu-sino kasama sa batch 84?
  • I'd still go with the 1996 batch..
  • I'd go for '96
  • fReAk wrote:
    sinu-sino kasama sa batch 84?
    hakeem, barkley, stockton, to name a few...basta sobrang talented yung mga galing ng draft class of '84...but '03 is getting there, and i think '96 may surpass their achievements as long as everyone continues playing the way they do... (or if camby becomes a franchise player...or shareef goes back to being a 20 ppg player...)
  • coydeleon wrote:
    Wasn't Eddie Jones also drafted in 96? Or batch ni Kidd and Grant Hill yun?

he was a rookie the same year as grant and jason. or if i'm wrong, he was a rookie the year before, when c-webb won the ROY. either way, he had played at least 2 seasons when kobe and the gang came in.
  • berdy wrote:
    '99 Draft- Brand, Francis, Baron Davis, Marion, Odom, Hamilton, Maggette, Kirilenko, Andre Miller, Artest, Jason Terry, Ginobili

i was thinking of putting this batch here, too, but other than hamilton, artest and manu, none of these guys have made it past the 1st round of the playoffs. well, i think davis did, too, but he's been too much of an injury prone lately.

and didn't manu play only after a year or two even if he were drafted the same year as these guys?
  • hakeem, barkley, stockton, to name a few...basta sobrang talented yung mga galing ng draft class of '84...but '03 is getting there, and i think '96 may surpass their achievements as long as everyone continues playing the way they do... (or if camby becomes a franchise player...or shareef goes back to being a 20 ppg player...)

Hard to surpass Batch 84's achievements:

8 championships (6 by Jordan and 2 by Olajuwon; baka may iba pang role player on other champion teams)
    7 MVPs (5 by Jordan, one each by Olajuwon and Barkley)
    All-time assists leader (Stockton)
    All-time blocks leader (Olajuwon)
    All-time scoring average leader, regular season and playoffs (Jordan)

And while we're counting MVPs and championship rings, Batch 79 also makes a good case:

11 championships (5 by Magic, 3 by Bird, 3 by Bill Cartwright)
    6 MVPs (3 each for Bird and Magic)

For the 90s, I have to agree that Batch 96 is pretty solid with Kobe, Iverson. Marbury, Nash and Jermaine O'Neal. But I also like Batch 95 (KG, Stackhouse, Sheed, Damon Stoudamire).

Btw Eddie Jones was drafted in "94. He was another one of Jerry West's draft day steals.
  • is jordan batch '83 or '84? parang '83 yata...someone enlighten me on this... :confused:
  • 84 si Jordan.
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    tractor traylor counted among notable role players? count him among journeymen! i think dallas traded him to milwaukee for dirk nowitzki, look who's by far the better player now... :glee:

It was a pre-arranged deal; Don Nelson (Dallas) and Rick Pitino (Boston) were the only GMs interested at Dirk. In fact, I remember when everyone was laughing at Nellie for not drafting Pierce and trading Tractor.

sheep.jpg
  • I also go for the '96 batch other than the '84...

Same here! I'd easily choose the batch of 96 other than the Batch of 84. Batch of 96 is simply the BEST rookie class EVER!:)
  • I'd still go for '96 :D
  • alin naman ang pinakawalang-kakuwentang kuwentang batch? curious lang ako ha...
  • The 1960 Batch had:

Jerry West
    Oscar Robertson
    Jerry Lucas
    Walt Bellamy

4/10th of the league was able to get a big name for themselves.

The most ill-fated batch could have been 1986:
    - Len Bias
    - Drazen Petrovic
    - Brad Daugherty
    - Arvidas Sabonis
    - Mark Price
    - Roy Tarpley

Bias and Petrovic died prematurely; Daugherty, Sabonis, Price had injury-riddled careers; and Tarpley fell to substance abuse.

There were 2 players notable though and they were both drafted in the 2nd Round--Dennis Rodman and Jeff Hornacek. The top ten had three 7-footers who were busts--Chris Washburn, William Bedford, and Brad Sellers.
  • pio_valenz wrote:
    And while we're counting MVPs and championship rings, Batch 79 also makes a good case:

11 championships (5 by Magic, 3 by Bird, 3 by Bill Cartwright)
    6 MVPs (3 each for Bird and Magic)
    Add 7 more. Vinnie Johnson had 2, Jim Paxson with 3, Jerry Sichting and Brad Holland with 1 each, and Ricardo Brown had several PBA championships. :D