Home PEx Sports NBA

NBA's most improved team

The NBA's most improved team this year will have to be the Chicago Bulls; they are constantly in the playoff hunt.

Comments

• true, chicago bulls...also phoenix and seattle, don't forget!
  • First of all, it's important that we define what constitutes improvement and what factors contribute to make a team better. In my opinion there are three things that could bring about team improvement - roster changes (whether through trades, free agent signing and/or draft), changes in basketball philosophy (coaching) and player improvement.

In terms of personel changes, the Chicago Bulls definitely take it. Though the Bulls have not been consistently in the playoff hunt this season as said by the thread starter - the Bulls have only crashed the top eight for less than two weeks this season; they have acquired good talent over the last two years. They drafted a future blue-chip point guard in Kansas' Kirk Hinrich while the additions of future all-stars Luol Deng (Duke), Ben Gordon (Connecticut) and Euroleague mainstay Andres Nocioni has paid dividends after starting the season with nine straight losses. Though there's not much change in the play of Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry, the Bulls have improved their overall performance and have shown that they are worth a slot in the Eastern Playoffs (which is not saying much). :D

A close second is the Washington Wizards who by getting rid of Jerry Stackhouse aquired power forward Antawn Jamison. Along with the play of Gilbert Arenas (notorious for promising a playoff berth last year) and Larry Hughes, Jamison has made the Wizards among the East's elite and are even considered one of the favorites to bag home court advantage come the first round of the post season.

The Miami Heat gets a nod a number three for getting a legitimate game-changing factor in Shaquille O'Neal. Though Shaq makes life easier for Dwyane Wade and makes the possibility of June games in Miami more realistic, the thinning out of their bench with the trade that brought The Diesel is in a sense counterproductive.

Honorable Mention: LA Clippers (Bobby Simmons)

When it comes to a change in basketball philosophy, the Orlando Magic have been a living statement on how changing the pace of the game improves one's chances. Sure, the entire starting lineup weren't wearing Magic jerseys last year (Grant Hill, Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Hedo Turkoglu and Dwight Howard), but more than the player changes, the fast paced attack of the Magic have been the biggest reason for the big turnaround from last season's nightmarish 21-61 finish.

Also to be included in the same breath is the Phoenix Suns. Phoenix has tasked one of basketball's best running guards (Leandro Barbosa... hehe, just kidding_ to facilitate a run-and-gun attack that unlike the Dallas Mavericks of yore has the luxury of having a dominant interior player in Amare Stoudemire.

Player improvement-wise, it's a tough call, but I think the Utah Jazz cuts it. Andrei Kirilenko, Mehmet Okur and Carlos Boozer are all on career-best years even if the Jazz seem to be sloppily losing games as of the moment.
  • Magic Bulls Seattle Phoenix Miami
  • Road DoggRoad Dogg PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A close second is the Washington Wizards who by getting rid of Jerry Stackhouse aquired power forward Antawn Jamison. Along with the play of Gilbert Arenas (notorious for promising a playoff berth last year) and Larry Hughes, Jamison has made the Wizards among the East's elite and are even considered one of the favorites to bag home court advantage come the first round of the post season.

i agree with you... they have vastly improved with the acquisition of Antawn Jamison... Gilbert Arenas, Larry Hughes, and Jamison are averaging at least 20 ppg each, and the Wizards have their best season in years... but the first big test for the Wizards this season is that Hughes will be missing 4-6 weeks with a thumb injury... hope the other Wizards (probably Juan Dixon) step up in place of Hughes' absence...
  • I think the most improved team is the Phoneix Suns, however without Nash they are the same old Suns.

The most improved player to me is Bobby Simmons. He one of the reasons why the Clippers are at .500.
  • don't forget the cavaliers! they lost boozer but they're still winning. and orlando is way better than last year's bunch, too. but i agree with faaip's list also.
  • good candidates:

washington wizards
    phoenix suns
    seatlle supersonics
    cleveland cavaliers
    chicago bulls
    los angeles clippers

but with the way things are going, and considering their standing last year, i'd have to say its the Suns
  • For me it's the Bulls, Cavaliers, Suns, Wizards, and Heat.
  • miami heat - dwyane wade has blossomed into a superstar PG, plus they added shaq...

washington wizards - sure have surprised me...larry hughes is breaking out this year, plus we have the usual games of gilbert arenas and antawn jamison. same old kwame brown... (sigh)
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    ^ Phoenix and Seattle are the annual surprise teams we've been treated to before. Sure, getting a 65-17 record is cool and all, but that doesn't really mean anything if you don't (or in the case of the abovementioned teams, won't) win the championship. Am I right, Pacers fans? :D

sheep.jpg
  • Pandaemonaeon:

Are you sure you're in the right thread? :D
  • ^ Phoenix and Seattle are the annual surprise teams we've been treated to before. Sure, getting a 65-17 record is cool and all, but that doesn't really mean anything if you don't (or in the case of the abovementioned teams, won't) win the championship. Am I right, Pacers fans? :D

sheep.jpg
    Definitely, it is the ultimate crowning glory of every team every season. The record in the eliminations just gives you an edge (sometimes it's not even the case) for the seedings in the playoffs but what matters is the performance that you give to win the penultimate 15 games to become the NBA champs. Houston did the best Harry Houdini in 1995 where they were seeded 6th in the West, overcoming a 3-1 Western finals series deficit against the Suns and sweeping the 60-22 Orlando Magic (with the "future" predicted Magic and Kareem in the mold of Penny and Shaq) in the NBA finals.
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    bchoter wrote:
    Pandaemonaeon:

Are you sure you're in the right thread? :D

You're right :depressed: I have enclosed the picture below to describe my latest toomfoolery:

insertbrain9tz.gif

sheep.jpg
  • You're right :depressed: I have enclosed the picture below to describe my latest toomfoolery:

insertbrain9tz.gif

sheep.jpg
    I'm sure you meant tomfoolery... lalim mo mag english, man ;)
  • A close second is the Washington Wizards who by getting rid of Jerry Stackhouse aquired power forward Antawn Jamison. Along with the play of Gilbert Arenas (notorious for promising a playoff berth last year) and Larry Hughes, Jamison has made the Wizards among the East's elite and are even considered one of the favorites to bag home court advantage come the first round of the post season.

Imagine what goes through Golden State Warriors fans now that they've seen those 3 former players of theirs mature.
  • grabe turnaround talaga this season... raming biglang lumakas na team seattle didnt change much of their line up though
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Yep, I think Pandaemonaeon's on the right thread, although his timing's off.

:D