COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

The English Grammar and Usage Tutorial Thread

help me naman with the following sentences;

1. the decision of the umpires (were, was) hotly disputed.

ang sagot ko ay "was" dahil sa word na decision, but i'm confused
dahil sa word na "umpires"

2. the high cost of repairs always (come, comes) first.
"comes" ba because of high cost or "come" dahil sa repairs?

3. the speed of these new jets (are, is) nearly three times the speed of sound.

ang sagot ko ay "is" because of the word speed, pero as always, i'm still confused.

thanx in advance for you help.

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Where are the grammar guys when you need them?
  • yo_monyo_mon 20 TIMES PExer
    1. the decision of the umpires (was) hotly disputed.

2. the high cost of repairs always (comes) first.

3. the speed of these new jets (is) nearly three times the speed of sound.

tama ka sa lahat ng sagot mo! yung prepositions lang naman yung nagpagulo eh.:)
  • Thoma§Thoma§ FULL-TIME LL.B. PExer
    Originally posted by plum_sun20
    1. the decision of the umpires (were, was) hotly disputed.

ang sagot ko ay "was" dahil sa word na decision, but i'm confused
    dahil sa word na "umpires"
    yes :) just remember these things:

1. the subject is "the decision" and that's singular, so the verb must be singular (was) also.

2. the preposition (of) and its object (umpires) are not the subjects. even if you remove them (collectively, they're called the 'prepositional phrase'-- a phrase that's started with a preposition), the sentence will still say the same meaning (that is, that "the decision was hotly disputed").
    a sentence will always have these two things: nouns (most of the time, they're the subjects) and verbs.

this is a sentence:
    1. run!

why? because it has an implied subject (even if it's not stated).
    1. (you) run!
  • intensity1214intensity1214 Banned by Admin PExer
    Originally posted by KuyaDanny
    Where are the grammar guys when you need them?

gumagawa pa ng bagong alternicks. :lol:
  • TurdTurd Banned by Admin PExer
    Paging our resident subject-verb agreement expert -- gerry_lim, charlie_g, clayCROFT, redFERN, arthurVICK, jackMARTIN .... or whatever latest alternick he is using. :D

Here's your golden opportunity to show off the skills you learned in UP/Warwick, the best schools in the entire universe. :lol:

Let's breeze ourselves for an exhilarating experience. :evil_lol:
  • Dennis21Dennis21 Banned by Admin PExer
    Originally posted by Turd
    Paging our resident subject-verb agreement expert --

Here's your golden opportunity to show off the skills you learned in UP/Warwick, the best schools in the entire universe. :lol:

Should this have to be 'in'? i'm just being snoopy... :D
  • plum_sun20plum_sun20 Member PExer
    Originally posted by Thoma§ a sentence will always have these two things: nouns (most of the time, they're the subjects) and verbs.

diba dapat "has"? the sentence has these two things....

thanx for the help guys!!!
  • Introvert_SIntrovert_S Advocatus Diaboli PExer
    the sentence has these 2 things - tama

a sentence will have these 2 things - tama
  • Dennis21Dennis21 Banned by Admin PExer
    Here's your golden opportunity to show off the skills you learned in UP/Warwick, the best schools in the entire universe.

Here's your golden opportunity to show off the skills you learned at UP/Warwick, the best schools in the entire universe.

which is correct guys? help please.
    Originally posted by plum_sun20
    diba dapat "has"? the sentence has these two things....

thanx for the help guys!!!
    tama ka rin. kaso, may "will" eh. just try to read this and find out if this sounds ok:

1. a sentence will has these two things.

has is singular (that's a given) but it's in the present tense not future (will).

however, a present act can also be stated in the future.

e.g. the doctor cures the patient tomorrow.

parang similar din 'yan sa may 'do' (plural-present expletive), 'does' (singular-present expletive), and 'did' (both-past expletive). = laging sinusundan ng have.

e.g.
    did you have to do that?
    he does have to work hard to get it.
    do you have a pencil?

:)
  • paralusiparalusi Member PExer
    Originally posted by Dennis21
    Here's your golden opportunity to show off the skills you learned in UP/Warwick, the best schools in the entire universe.

Here's your golden opportunity to show off the skills you learned at UP/Warwick, the best schools in the entire universe.

at (point)
    The noun that follows is treated as a point in relation to which another object is positioned

on (surface)
    The position of an object is defined with respect to a surface on which it rests

in (area/volume)
    An object lies within the boundaries of an area or within the confines of a volume
    Originally posted by Dennis21

both are okay, it depends on what you're trying to say. but in my opinion, "at" suggests a specific location.
    e.g. i live at 123 pinoyexchange street.

"in" suggests a bigger place.
    e.g.
    in the sampaloc district
    in manila
    in the philippines
    in asia

in that example, i think in is more appropriate than "at" -- i could be wrong.
    Originally posted by paralusi
    at (point)
    The noun that follows is treated as a point in relation to which another object is positioned

on (surface)
    The position of an object is defined with respect to a surface on which it rests

in (area/volume)
    An object lies within the boundaries of an area or within the confines of a volume
    this is correct. maraming klase kasi ang prepositions. may prepositions of time, place etc.. sa news writing, mahahasa ka talaga sa paggamit ng prepositions.
    plum_sun20 if you're having a hard time with grammar, i suggest that you buy this small book (it's a best-seller now):

handbook to better english by worldlink books.

i bought it last year for P95.00, unfortunately, it's P125.00 now. it's just basic reading but this is the best (in my opinion) handbook i've seen for starters. maganda rin 'yung ibang libro but it's too technical at nakakatakot for those who are just starting to appreciate. the small book is reader-friendly, comprehensive and affordable. so, get one now!! :D hehe
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    can my cured be dyslexia?
  • SpellbindMediaSpellbindMedia Fantasy=Reality PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Students/Writers' must-haves:

Kate Turabian's book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/12917.ctl

Elements of Style: (Strunk/White)
    http://www.bartleby.com/141/
  • barako_cafe_00barako_cafe_00 Banned by Admin PExer
    wow! this thread is very helpful to me and to my classmates.

more more!
    Students/Writers' must-haves:

Kate Turabian's book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/12917.ctl

Elements of Style: (Strunk/White)
    http://www.bartleby.com/141/
    i have the LPE version of the elements of style. however, i haven't started reading it yet because i'm still not finished with Nick Joaquin's collection of stories.

hay... so many books, so little time. :(
    can my cured be dyslexia?
    mac, i think your case doesn't involve dyslexia but it's simply called old age. :lol: joke

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file