NBA Position: Small Forward
College: North Carolina
Class: Freshman
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 230
Hometown: Bremerton, WA
High School: Bremerton

Project First Over-all Pick
Strengths: Elite level athlete, Very quick and agile for a player of his size... Can play any position on the floor effectively.. Never out-worked or out-hustled... Doesn’t take plays off... Gives you everything he has whether it’s a high school playoff game or an AAU event... Excellent form on jumper... NBA range... Very effective when facing the hoop as he has a quick first step and utilizes his jabs and fakes to perfection... Court awareness is that of a vet... Finds teammates from anywhere on the court...An excellent passer from any spot on the floor who possesses great knowledge of the game.... At 6-9 he handles like a guard and has excellent touch out to 17 feet.... Great rebounder because of his size and ability to get off the ground quickly... Big game player... Plays his best in the clutch... A quick leaper who plays well above the rim. Has tremendous potential.
Weaknesses: More of a wing/forward at this point... Doesn’t play well with his back to the basket as he hasn’t developed a go-to post move... Must improve strength as he won’t always be able to rely on his athletic ability at the next level... Is a shot blocker but has trouble defending smaller quicker players...As with all young guys not named LeBron or Carmelo, he struggles with consistency....

Notes: Would greatly benefit from a year or two in college. A relatively unknown on the hoop scene until the 2002 ABCD camp where he earned all-star honors. He followed that up with a terrific performance at the Adidas Big Time Tournament, being named to the all-tournament team. As a sophomore, averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds for Bremerton High School in Bremerton, Washington. Plays summer ball for Rotary Select, an Adidas sponsored AAU team. Having establishing himself as one of the elite players in the country. Had a huge 34 point performance against Josh Smith and the Champion Atlanta Celtics in the Big Time Tourney last Summer.

chris-paul-hd.jpg

Chris Paul
Birthdate: 5/6/85
NBA Position: Point Guard
College: Wake Forest
Class: Sophomore
Ht: 5-11
Wt: 175
Hometown: Lewisville, NC
High School: West Forsyth

NBA Comparison: Kenny Anderson
Projected 2nd Over-all Pick
Strengths: Paul is the consummate point guard. He is a mature leader, wise beyond his years. He can score and get into the paint and drop the catchable pass with the best of them. A 3 point marksman that will knock it down if given room. His foot quickness makes him a capable ball hawk on defense when he picks his man up. To lead the ACC in steals as a freshman tells you a little about his defensive ability. His character and heart on and off the court make him a GM's dream. Will have a chance to be a star in the league, and it will be his passion for the game that will keep him from falling off.

Weaknesses: At under 6 foot, he's very small for the pro game. His intangibles and athleticism help to make up for it some. Improved strength and a year of maturing will help him avoid the dreaded sophomore jinx that Chris Thomas suffered a two years ago. Point guards are judged by their teams play, and with his team this year should reflect the type of player he is, a Champion.

tiago-splitter-hd1.jpg

Tiago Splitter
Birthdate: 1/1/85
NBA Position: SF/PF
Ht: 7-0
Wt: 236
Int Team: Tau Vitoria
Hometown: Blumenau, Brazil

NBA Comparison: Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki
Projected 3rd Over-all Pick
Strengths: In 3 years will surely be a top 5 player internationally, he has the typically strong Brazilian offense game. He's a scorer, and can shoot from everywhere on the court. He plays one-on-one very well, has nice moves around the basket where he usually finishes with power plays. He has excellent mobility and great foot work for a player his size. He already has more international experience than Nene and Anderson combined. His future is at the SF position, so you can imagine the troubles that a 6-11 guy can cause in this situation. It's possible that he is not finished growing!

Weaknesses: His body still very weak to play the PF position. He has problems defending stronger guys and playing post up on offense, has to improve his timing on rebounds and his patience on defense. His defense can improve a lot playing in Europe and his body will certainly develop.

Notes: Made the Brazilian National team as a 17 years old and competed in the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis. Very athletic player. Prefers to play on the outside. Shies away from contact. A bigtime scorer. Somewhat similar to Kirilenko with his rangy frame. Has a ways to go skill-wise.

I've seen this guy play in the Tournament of the Americas and I believe that Splitter will be a decent player in the NBA. I didn't see the Nowitzki angle, but this guy has Gasol v.2 written all over him down to the scrawny arms and legs.

I predict that in two or three years time, we'll be debating on which Brazilian is better --- Varejao or Splitter.

faaip_de_oiad's hyped rookies roster
2003: Darko Milicic and Maciej Lampe
2004: Sasha Vujacic
2005: Tiago Splitter (and yes, the third time will be a charm... hehe)

Comments

• Papa-draft na si Marvin Williams? E tingin ko hindi pa honed up yung game niya sa UNC. Ni hindi nga siya yung first option ni coach Roy Williams dun eh. I think he should play 1 or 2 years more sa NCAA before elevating to the next level.

I think Chris Paul will be an another Jameer Nelson na ang galing-galing sa college and then halos makalimutan na ng mga scouts/GM's nung last year's draft. Maiiyak na nga siya kasi nasa 20th pick na ata nun e hindi pa rin siya tinatawag. But I am not yet sure about that, baka naman may mga teams dyan na kailangan talaga ng point guard ala-TJ Ford.

I agree with Tiago Splitter. This guy has to be given a chance to play in the league. Okay din laro nito based sa observations ko nung olympic qualifying tourney last year. Bakit naman nawala si Nene sa mga comparisons of good Brazilian players? Si Varejao and Splitter lang yung andun. Tingin ko puede mo din isama si Nene sa comparison because I believe Nene can matchup with the two.
  • errr... Ewan. wala akong bilib kay Nene masyado... Maybe it's because of the fact that he's with the Nuggets. :D

Ang pangit sa mga small guards ngayon, wala na talaga silang shooting - Telfair, Nelson, Ford... Si Gordon na pinaka matino.
    ---

Martynas Andreskivicius - a projected top 5 pick in the 2004 (before pulling out) draft --- has said that he will enter the draft in 2006.
  • in si mag, tj doesn't even know if he'll ever recover up to his last season in level of play. time will tell
  • Felton and McCants are good but they're small. That wouldn't be a problem sana kaya lang there's just too many small guards around.
  • felton is only 6'4" so i see him becoming someone like mobley at best.
  • ^

i meant mccants!
  • hmm..shortie lang pala si chris paul...mahirap makuha yan ng mataas....shorties dont get drafted high....
  • come to think of it, i might be wrong about mccants. when wade was drafted i also thought he'd only turn out to be like mobley. then again, wade's game is much more complete than mccants, and mccants is known to have a little bit of a star complex, too.

and about chris paul not being drafted high.. stoudamire was the second pick in his batch. and iverson was 1st in 1996. if he's that special, he might even be picked 1st.
  • I don't think Chris Paul is in that class of AI. Puede pa siguro kay Damon hehe. Pero with the influx of talent also coming from the high school ranks, mahihirapan si Chris Paul nyan to get drafted high, maybe mga top 10 nga impossible pa sa kin yun pero for sure first rounder siya.
  • team slickteam slick PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^ Damon was the 7th overall pick in his batch not 2nd po, he was in the batch of joe smith who went no 1. Chris Paul is nowhere really in the league of damon nor iversion, his not really a great scoring guard.
  • nbadraft.net
  • team slick wrote:
    ^ Damon was the 7th overall pick in his batch not 2nd po, he was in the batch of joe smith who went no 1. Chris Paul is nowhere really in the league of damon nor iversion, his not really a great scoring guard.

oops. my bad. but i guess we could still consider that high for a 5'10" guard.
  • Can somebody tell me who is the shortest NBA player to score 50+ points in a single game? Iverson scored two 50+ points games and then Damon also made a follow-up with 54 in a loss against the Hornets. I still can't believe that these guys (who are below 6 feet) are making big strides in terms of point production in a single game.
  • PF Chris Taft anyone?

:king:
  • Any Chinese or Asian giants applying? :socool:
  • In terms of Asian giants who want to apply for the NBA draft, I guess they should try training first in foreign ground or get someone in China or Korea that could train and develop their "bases" more. I mean here their stance of their feet because that's where I see the weakness of Asian centers (even I see Yao having problems on these). Their movements are not that agile as well as their lateral movements. And also don't leave their shooting back in their country. They should bring it in the NBA because that's their lethal weapon against more athletic opponents in the League.
  • In terms of Asian giants who want to apply for the NBA draft, I guess they should try training first in foreign ground or get someone in China or Korea that could train and develop their "bases" more. I mean here their stance of their feet because that's where I see the weakness of Asian centers (even I see Yao having problems on these). Their movements are not that agile as well as their lateral movements. And also don't leave their shooting back in their country. They should bring it in the NBA because that's their lethal weapon against more athletic opponents in the League.
  • chris paul may be the best of the pg's, probably closer to damon in his prime than AI in his prime...raymond felton is the 2nd coming of tj ford...good pg skills, bad shooting.

i do hope this draft will be more american (too many euro busts...darko milicic, nikoloz whats-his-name, maceij lampe) and have less HS prospects like robert swift or dorrell wright whom i don't think would be anything special even if they went to college...mga 2 or 3 HS prospects for me would be an ideal number.

marvin williams should develop to something special if he enters the draft...rashad mccants may be the 2nd coming of shawn respert if he doesn't shape up. that guy is a head case!

ike diogu, if he enters the draft, may be mike sweetney part II...at 6'7 he's too short to play PF much less C...chris taft has the height for PF but i'm not too familiar with him aside from that.

(more comparisons...sigh) ryan humphrey II = ryan gomes (another undersized PF prospect)

lawrence roberts could sneak into the 1st round. he has the height and the skills to be a productive nba big man...

nbadraft.net, for me, is a bit too euro and HS-centric, especially since i want to see less of 'em in the 2005 draft!
  • I just checked nbadraft.net and I saw a player who goes by the name of Rudy Fernandez hehe. Wala lang, I was surprised. Pag nagkataon sisikat si Rudy F., not just an artist but a baller as well hehe. Pero tama ka irateluvmachine, medyo may pagk Euro-HS centric yung site. Ang daming names na hindi ko mai-pronounce ng tama.
  • yup, may rudy fernandez nga sa nbadraft.net...hoping he gets drafted para may action star na ang nba aside from ron artest... :D

more "accurate and brutally honest" nba comparisons:

louis williams = sebastian telfair (THIS YEAR...not 7-10 years from now...)
    andrew bogut = chris anstey (I HOPE NOT...)
    jason maxiell = brandon hunter
    josh pace = chris carrawell
    kennedy winston = PBA import

not to be entirely pessimistic, i'm hoping guys like lawrence roberts, julius hodge, travis diener and/or channing frye sneak into the late 1st round...and chris paul should be at the very least a 15 ppg/7-8 apg guy in the nba...kahit na 6'0 lang siya...