PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

United States Military

First of all, I'm Filipino-American. This question po ay para sa mga Filipinos living in the Philippines (but all are welcome to comment). I've enlisted in the United States Marines, and the chance of me going to war (either in Iraq or Afghanistan) after all the training is 100%. I am absolutely positive that this is what I want to do.

I know that Americans are now hated more than ever throughout the world because of the war on Iraq and Afghanistan and how it is being handled. My question is, are Americans (especially in the military) hated in the Philippines? Like, if I decide to take a vacation there with me wearing a Marines t-shirt, will I be frowned upon or will I be welcomed with open arms? Or both?

Note: Your comments will no way affect my enlistment with the Marines or my planned vacation to the Philippines.

Comments

• kelunjikelunji Member ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by noleafclover
    First of all, I'm Filipino-American. This question po ay para sa mga Filipinos living in the Philippines (but all are welcome to comment). I've enlisted in the United States Marines, and the chance of me going to war (either in Iraq or Afghanistan) after all the training is 100%. I am absolutely positive that this is what I want to do.

I know that Americans are now hated more than ever throughout the world because of the war on Iraq and Afghanistan and how it is being handled. My question is, are Americans (especially in the military) hated in the Philippines? Like, if I decide to take a vacation there with me wearing a Marines t-shirt, will I be frowned upon or will I be welcomed with open arms? Or both?

Note: Your comments will no way affect my enlistment with the Marines or my planned vacation to the Philippines.

hmm, well if you look caucasian or black and you wear your USMC shirt, people will probably believe you're just here for those you know sex and cheap women.

if you're say look like an average Juan, nah people will probably think you just bought the shirt somewhere or at worst trying hard poser.
  • arciearcie Member PExer
    Americans are not hated in the Philippines so you have nothing to fear. The few who do hate the Americans are either leftist or leftist sympathizers.
  • lakaylakay Proverbial pain PExer
    First and foremost, I'm a retired US Military and the first thing that they teach us when we go on leave on the foreign land (which is our homeland) is to blend in and not to stick up like sore thump. And wearing a t-shirt with USMC written on it is like a bulls eye written on you and asking somebody to either shoot you or harm you. Go home, ack like you've been there for all your life, and you should have a nice time.
  • heymikeyheymikey SCAN THIS... PExer
    Originally posted by kelunji
    if you're say look like an average Juan, nah people will probably think you just bought the shirt somewhere or at worst trying hard poser.
    I'd have to agree with what kelunji said. Filipinos in the Philippines have this erroneous belief that in order to be a true American, you either have to be black or white (or mixed). If you're an American of Malay or any other asian descent and they see you wearing your marines t-shirt, they will most likely think you are a trying-hard wannabe american. It has nothing to do with what they think of the war.
  • jolog1jolog1 Member PExer
    Don't go around wearing your marine outfit here in the Philippines. You're just looking for trouble.

It doesn't matter if you're fil-am, what matters is what you look like? If you look brown, you're just one of the locals. They don't know you're an american unless you're going around bragging about it or stupid enough to walk around in your army gear.

If you look white, it doesn't matter where you're from because filipinos have a hard on for white people. They worship them. That's the sad thing about pinoy, even ugly white people are considered handsome here. I'd say 80% of white people I've seen in the Philippines are considered ugly in their homeland and yet their pinay girlfriends are fine looking.
    why do you want to go on vacation and wear your shall we say "work-clothes" anyway? you've been wearing them the rest of the year and even on your R n R you'll still wear them?
    Originally posted by arcie
    Americans are not hated in the Philippines so you have nothing to fear. The few who do hate the Americans are either leftist or leftist sympathizers.

the second statement kinda contradicts the first.

anyway just do as lakay said, blend in and refrain from wanton display of American jingoism.
  • Originally posted by kelunji
    why do you want to go on vacation and wear your shall we say "work-clothes" anyway? you've been wearing them the rest of the year and even on your R n R you'll still wear them?

Well, it was just a "what if" question and only asked it to satisfy my curiosity. And what I meant when I said Marines t-shirt was those promotional apparels that you get from PXs, not the ones you officially get ("work clothes"). I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear. And thanks for the replies.

I'm full-blooded Filipino, btw. :cool:
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin PExer
    i don't hate the americans
    i am a leftist
    i am not an (active) leftist sympathizer

all i'm doing is waiting for the next big terrorist attack inside CONUS. oooohhhh, a six-kiloton backpack nuclear bomb detonated in time square. :evilgrin:
    Then either you're a terrorist or a terrorist sympathizer.
    boy, don't ever give arcie your address. american soldiers shoot you for what you're thinking! :lol:
  • agentmoriagentmori Hello, world! PExer
    Originally posted by jolog1
    I'd say 80% of white people I've seen in the Philippines are considered ugly in their homeland and yet their pinay girlfriends are fine looking.

Oh, really then.... :D
    Mac, anyone with a miniscule understanding of the English language can tell that you're a terrorist sympathizer. HTF could you say you are waiting for the next terrorist attack to strike in the US? You insinuate that your ears would be clapping too when it happens.
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN hooah! PExer
    Originally posted by jolog1

If you look white, it doesn't matter where you're from because filipinos have a hard on for white people. They worship them. That's the sad thing about pinoy, even ugly white people are considered handsome here. I'd say 80% of white people I've seen in the Philippines are considered ugly in their homeland and yet their pinay girlfriends are fine looking.

eh papano naman si Redford White? :D
    Mac, anyone with a miniscule understanding of the English language can tell that you're a terrorist sympathizer. HTF could you say you are waiting for the next terrorist attack to strike in the US? You insinuate that your ears would be clapping too when it happens.

grabe naman ito.

well if the US can't catch the guy who bombed the WTC and brag about it over world TV...
    it's like this, ars.

mac_bolan00 = couch potato
    mega-terrorist act = great news
    mac_bolan00 + great news = contentment

mac_bolan00 = terrorist sympathizer ---> does not follow.

i was thinking your new-world brain might appreciate linear relations more easily, considering your miniscule understanding of english.
  • heymikeyheymikey SCAN THIS... PExer
    Originally posted by mac_bolan00
    it's like this, ars.

Well, it does seem to follow.

Let's assume that mac_bolan00 = terrorist sympathizer is correct.
    Based on that assumption, we can say,
    terrorist sympathizer + great news = contentment

Since mega-terrorist act = great news, we can rewrite the equation to...
    terrorist sympathizer + mega-terrorist act = contentment
    ... which makes perfect sense, don't you think?

A terrorist sympathizer who witnessed a terrorist attacks will get some form of contentment.
  • sunspot101sunspot101 a corrupt philanthropist PExer
    guys off-topic na kayo.
    (hahaha! feeling moderator....)

on-T: i dont think so. hindi naman iniisip ng mga pilipino ang giyera pag nakakakita sila ng mga amerikano eh. at ang pagkakaalam ko, the leftist movement hate the American government, not the American people. just like elsewhere.

astig, Marine ka. may PM ako sa iyo. =)
    Originally posted by kelunji
    grabe naman ito.

well if the US can't catch the guy who bombed the WTC and brag about it over world TV...
    Ang layo naman ng sagot mo. Ever heard of relevance?
    Originally posted by mac_bolan00
    it's like this, ars.

i was thinking your new-world brain might appreciate linear relations more easily, considering your miniscule understanding of english.
    I don't see any semblance of mathematics in your equations. There are too many unknowns. In mathematics you establish as many equations as variables to solve for them. In your kind of mathematics you have eight unknowns in only 3 equations. HTF could you solve for them?

Let me solve an unknown that we call mac_bolan00 (assuming he is still unknown to pex to this day)

Mac_bolan00=leftist (by his own admission)
    Leftist=american hater
    therefore Mac_bolan=american hater

But american hater= someone who wants anything bad to happen to the US=terrorist/sympathizer (fact)
    Mac_bolan=someone who impatiently waits the next terrrorist strike to hit the continental US (through his own admission)
    Therefore mac_bolan00=terrorist/sympathizer.

Doesn't that sound more mathematical than yours, Mac?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file