Home PEx International Entertainment General Entertainment
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Hotel Rwanda

trailer pa lang nakita ko and some features from Access Hollywood... mukhang interesting kasi based on a true story di ba?

Comments

• yupyup....10 years ago there was this genocide in Rwanda.I saw the trailer rin, I wanna watch it.
  • current RT rating... 91%

hay! tagal pa ata palabas dito...

i really wanna see it because of Don Cheadle... everybody's raving about his performance...
  • can't wait to see this movie! i need to see films where the heroes are not americans (have nothing against them, it's just that i have yet to see a hollywood film that features a hero from a different country). besides, my fave actor - joaquin phoenix - is in the movie :)
  • i'm also a Don Cheadle fan. favorite din yata sya ni Soderbergh e..

been watching the trailer over and over again.....
  • A great movie with a wonderful performance by Don Cheadle*okay*
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hotelrwanda_bigposter.jpg

Hotel Rwanda
    Rating: 10/10
    Oscar Chances: Don Cheadle, Actor; Sophie Okonedo, Supporting Actress; Terry George, Director; “Million Voices” (Wyclef Jean), Original Song; Best Picture

The year was 1994. Try remembering what you were doing that year. I was still in grade school then, probably worrying about the science or math quiz that I didn’t study for (come to think of it, I never really gave a *bleep* about my grades anyway). Checking on the significant events of that year, I see that it was the year O.J Simpson lost his mind, Ayrton Senna lost his life, and Kurt Cobain lost both (Sorry y’all Cobain fans, I apologize already even before I receive hate messages). However, none of them compares to the loss of thousands of lives in Rwanda that year. If you asked me 11 years ago what I knew about Rwanda, I would’ve shrugged my shoulders. The sad thing is this: apparently, the whole world also did, and looked the other way.

Based on a true story, Hotel Rwanda is an account of how hotel manager Paul Rusesabagina (Don Cheadle) sheltered hundreds of refugees from ethnic cleansing. For years, the two major ethnic groups of Rwanda – the Hutus and the Tutsis – have been at odds with each other. Just as the two groups were about to sign a peace accord to end decades of animosity, the plane of the Rwandan president (a Hutu) is gunned down, sending the country into a state of anarchy. Military and militia groups began rounding up and killing as many Tutsis they could find, as well as Hutus sympathetic to the Tutsis. (Click this link for more information on the Rwandan Genocide)

The brilliance of director Terry George’s work is that he doesn’t concentrate on the gruesome aspect of the situation. He doesn’t try to do a Michael Moore-esque impression of the horrors of war, nor does he make the film a political statement on who-is-to-blame-for-what. There are no fancy camera tricks here, no special effects, no horrid and violent pictures of people killed with bolos and machetes. Instead, he centers his film on Cheadle’s character, and how he reacts to the atrociousness that is unraveling around him. The film is hinged on its subject matter, and delivers its message strongly and convincingly. George masterfully builds up the pace of the story just as you’d expect in real life situations. At first, the tone of the film is more subdued and indifferent to the escalating tension that surrounds the hotel. He gradually changes the pace, giving the viewers a real sense of panic as violence slowly approaches the hotel and its occupants. I kid you not; it’s story-telling at its finest.

George also uses a faceless voice as the film’s antagonist – the Hutu radio station announcer who incites the militia to seek Tutsi blood. With words of hatred and calls for bloodshed, the voice can be compared to the evil whisper that we hear in our heads. As the hate-mongering voice bombards the airwaves with messages like “Kill the cockroaches,” we are reminded by the ugliness that humans are capable of.

Don Cheadle gives the performance of a lifetime as hotel manager Paul Rusesabagina, the unwitting hero. He worries for his family’s welfare first and foremost; his heroism is not really borne out of bravery or a sense of righteousness. But as the war is brought closer and closer to his hotel, we see Paul coming to terms with his role as the protector and father figure not only of his immediate family, but also of 1200 people. Cheadle delivers a passionate and powerful performance as Paul. Consistent with the film’s style, there are no big speeches or fist-wagging calls for courage ala-Braveheart here, but Cheadle manages to convey the sentiments of hopelessness and valor in a compelling fashion. His portrayal is not as high-profile as Jamie Foxx in Ray, but I truly believe he deserves the Oscar more than anybody else.

The underlying love story between Paul and his wife Tatiana is held together by Sophie Okonedo, making her an underdog for a supporting role award this year. Nick Nolte and Joaquin Phoenix play lesser roles as a UN Colonel and American journalist, respectively. Given minimal screen time, Phoenix makes do with what he has, and by the time he delivers the film’s most important message, he does so in a way that hits you in the gut.

"I think if people see this footage they'll say, ‘Oh my God, that's horrible,’ and go on eating their dinners."

Hotel Rwanda is inspiring and disturbing at the same time. It has drawn comparisons to Steven Spielberg’s Schindler’s List, and it’s a pity the film is not getting the same buzz as Spielberg’s work. Be that as it may, Hotel Rwanda a must-see, and may well be the most important film of the year.
  • I saw this on New Year's Eve. I was just floored, as was most of the audience. The woman next to me was crying so much that the woman next to her (a stranger) offered her a tissue. The movie truly shows humanity at its worst and best.
    The scene in which Paul and Gregoire are driving over something bumpy as they drive through the fog..only to realize that they are driving over human bodies.
    Sent chills down my spine.

Of the performances I've seen this year, Don Cheadle's was far and away the best. Like George Clooney said in the Boston Globe interview, his acting is so true..so real. There is nothing cloying or overly sentimental about it, which makes it all the more effective and moving.

I also thought Nolte kicked ***. He captured the Dallaire's impotence and frustration perfectly. I wasn't surprised that they didn't go into the personalities of the other Tutsi refugees. The movie was centered on Paul's heroic deed.
  • I just watched this with my girlfriend last night. I must say that this movie is the total opposite of a feel-good movie. This movie definitely feels real.

And if you think this would lessen your racism - think again.

This movie makes the EU look real good. The US didn't even figure into the equation. haha
  • I watched "Hotel Rwanda" as part of my class. The film puts you into deep thought about the current sorry state of the world.
  • inisinis PExer
    I have watched this movie, and it made me really look stupid! I was crying alone in an almost empty theater at Gateway Mall.

The movie was very powerful! God, I hate the world when they shut the doors for the poor beings at Rwanda! The world should apologize to Paul and the rest of the survivors of the atrocities in Kigali!

Ang galing ng movie! And Don Cheadle delivers the best performance of his life! The direction was superb! I could feel the violence and the emotion pouring out of my heart that night I was watching the movie. It was poignant when all foreigners are about to leave the Hotel. That was very powerful, I couldnt even contain myself from cyring profusely!
  • I wanted to kill all the Hutu extremists, actually. But at least the movie was still tasteful. There were no overly violent scenes - at least in the versions seen in the Philippines.
  • Nobody cared about this genocide when it happened years ago because black ppl were slaughtered. if it were white ppl, there would be world war 3!
  • i want to watch this film
  • Hey I watched a Canadian documentary kanina sa UP Diliman,
    I hope you watch it too... maganda siya at documentary
    about the dramatic sentiments of the Canadian chief of the
    UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda... free admission pa.

Meron ulit na screening sa July 13 Wednesday, 4 pm.

Highly recommended!!!

ProGay invites LGBT folks to support Canada Day at the
    Movies --- Admission Free !!!

We are grateful to the Embassy of Canada for its
    support for the PINK FILM FESTIVAL 2005. In turn, we
    hope to support its other cinematic endeavors such as
    this Canadian documentary festival.

The UP Film Institute hosts the documentary filmfest
    every Wednesday this July on the occasion of Celebrate
    Canada 2005 mounted by the Canadian Embassy Manila in
    commemoration of Canada's 138th anniversary as a
    nation.

Peter Raymont's "Shake Hands with the Devil" - the
    Audience Award Winner and Official Selection for Grand
    Jury Prize at the 2005 Sundance Films Festival -
    topbills the documentary features for the Canadian
    Documentary Festival opening on July 6, Wednesday, at
    7 p.m., at the Cine Adarna of the UP Film Institute.
    His Excellency Canadian ambassador to the Philippines
    Peter Sutherland is Guest of Honor.

The documentary of the opening night, "Shake Hands
    with the Devil." is the heart-wrenching account of the
    experience of Canadian Lt. Col. Romeo Dallaire as the
    head of the United Nations peacekeeping force in
    Rwanda during the 1994 genocide.

Other selections include "Turbulent Waters" by Malcolm
    Guy and Michelle Smith; "Under One Sky: Arab women in
    North America Talk About the Hijab" by Jennifer Kawaja
    and "Journey to Justice" by Milton Bryan and Roger
    McTair.

"Turbulent Waters" takes viewers below the deck to
    meet the workers at the grimy heart of the global
    economy and expose the realities of international
    shipping. The film includes the tale of a Filipino
    shipping crew's own adventures in Vancouver.

"Under One Sky: Arab Women who assert the wearing of
    veil as a proud emblem of their heritage and identity.

"Journey to Justice" charts the little-known history
    of Canada's civil rights movement with the brave black
    Canadians who led the fight for equality from the
    1930s to the 1950s.

The full rundown of screenings is as follows:

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL
    July 6 Wednesday 7 p.m.
    and
    July 13 Wednesday 4 p.m.
    UPFI Cine Adarna (front entrance)

TURBULENT WATERS
    July 20 Wednesday 4 p.m.
    UPFI Videoteque (back entrance)

UNDER ONE SKY
    July 27 Wednesday 4 p.m.
    UPFI Videoteque

JOURNEY TO JUSTICE
    July 27 Wednesday 5 p.m.
    UPFI Videoteque

ADMISSION IS FREE, first come first served basis

Call UPFI 9263540.
  • Great movie, and really creepy. Ang nagagawa talaga ng ibang tao, killing other people like animals...

Nakakatayo balahibo rin yung scene na nagdadrive sila sa road na punong puno ng dead bodies...
  • The sad thing is Darfur (Sudan) is experiencing a similar tragedy right now and the rest of the world is just as ill-informed as it was when the Rwandan genocide took place.

History does repeat itself.

Ten years from now we're going to watch a movie about the Sudanese genocide and say the same things we said about Hotel Rwanda.
  • ambertookmeambertookme 🦅 Eagle Squad🏅
    can't believe we chose to watch War of the Worlds over this gem...should watch it tomorrow.
  • ^i agree. can't believe that media hyped other movies over this one...tsk tsk tsk...we should text other people to watch this movie...sayang naman...