Home PEx Campus The Academe
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

University Education in Canada?

Can anyone give me an overview of the education system in Canada?

I heard getting into Universities cost an arm and a leg. Pano ba ang admission?

What's the difference between Universities and Comm. Colleges and Trade Schools?

Can I enroll in a community college and have better chances of getting into a University?

Thanks.
«13

Comments

  • universities in canada are a lot cheaper than in the states (even if you are an international student) but generally better in terms of education because there arent as many and all are govt funded. normally, you wouldn't be able to go directly into a canadian univ if you finished hs in asia unless your grades are really high (i.e. 97% general ave). you have to have finished at least 2 years of college educ here (but you would still have to start from 1st year) or do university transfer courses at canadian colleges.

    you also wouldnt have to take any entrance exams; admission depends entirely on your univ transfer/hs/college grades, lpi (language proficieny index) score and/or TOEFL/IELTS score. most univs require a B to B+ average for arts programs and higher marks for business, sciences, applied sciences programs depending on the number of applicants. univs in major cities are very competitive. recently, it has become even harder to get in since u.s. immigration laws are causing the influx of international students to rise.

    you can go into a community college first before univ but make sure you get grades that are good enough to get you into the program you want. doing your lower level requirements there is actually a lot more economical than going to univ all the way.
  • I already have 3 years of college education here, (in the Phils.) kaso lang ang daming bagsak, hehe.

    Is it possible for me to go there, tell them I just finished high school here, and start from scratch? And not to sound too cocky or anything, but I'm pretty confident I can do well in the TOEFL and any other exams I need to take. :)

    I'm thinking of getting into a community college, get the necessary grades, then hopefully get into a University, maybe taking management, marketing or something along those lines.

    I won't be there on a student visa, um, yung for migration na visa talaga, whatever it's called, does that help in anyway?

    Thanks.
  • Originally posted by ShowMeTheMoney
    Is it possible for me to go there, tell them I just finished high school here, and start from scratch?

    That's the one thing that you need to avoid doing in your whole academic life. Trust me, that will bring you harm than good. Government accredited institutions anywhere in the world will have a way to dig ALL your acad records -- from the 1st school you attended all the way to the last school before finally going there.

    if the institution finds out you deliberately detach a portion of your academic history, you will be expelled from that school.
  • Even if you state that you just finished high school you will be required to study two more years of high school. My suggestion would be to finish your degree here since you are already in your third year then just pursue graduate studies if you still wish to do so.

    Best wishes
  • Originally posted by shad_ma
    Even if you state that you just finished high school you will be required to study two more years of high school. My suggestion would be to finish your degree here since you are already in your third year then just pursue graduate studies if you still wish to do so.

    Best wishes

    Nice suggestion. But the sad thing about it is, there is none legally accredited Canadian university so far that would allow a college graduate from a Philippine institution (except those who hold a UP diploma) to proceed to the Master's programme (M, MA, MS, MSc) without any masteral degree from a Philippine accredited university.

    In other words, the Canadian higher education law is requiring either qualification for Filipino students who wished to pursue further studies in Canada: 1.) he must have a UP undergraduate degree or 2.) he must have held both undergraduate degree and graduate degree from a recognised Philippine university (other than UP).
  • anong kasinungalingan naman ito, aber?
  • i know that some universities like ubc also recognize (and even credit) undergraduate programs from ateneo and la salle. however, being a graduate of the philippines' big 3 univs is never enough to get into a canadian grad school. you must have astronomically high grades to qualify
  • hindi rin.

    canadian universities will not accept any philippine college graduates directly into their masters, usually 1-2 years lang ang macrecredit na na-earn ng applicant sa kanyang bachelor's degree. ulit ka baga ng 2 taon kahit anong school ka pa.

    and for phil. hs grads, you need to take some canadian hs credits to qualify for admissions.

    kaya tigilan na ang kasinungalingan, puede? may mga "except those who hold a up diploma" pang nalalaman, susme. basta philippine university sablay sa canada. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • marunong ka pa sa kin dun ako grumaduate
  • Originally posted by intensity1214
    anong kasinungalingan naman ito, aber?
    It wasn't a lie. if you doubt it, go ask people at the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines.
  • Originally posted by mozart
    i know that some universities like ubc also recognize (and even credit) undergraduate programs from ateneo and la salle. however, being a graduate of the philippines' big 3 univs is never enough to get into a canadian grad school. you must have astronomically high grades to qualify

    Hi mozart.

    I believe a UP degree in Diliman, Los Banos, Manila and the Visayas is an exception. Most of the recognised Canadian unis do accept a UP undergraduate degree as a standalone requirement. I know this because 1.) the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines is saying so and 2.) there are already a lot of UP grad who got onto the master's programme in some of the well-established unis in Canada only with a baccalaureate degree.

    Already 3 of my former instructors/professors in UP Diliman have acquired their MS from U of Toronto, UBC and Dalhousie.
  • Originally posted by intensity1214

    kaya tigilan na ang kasinungalingan, puede? may mga "except those who hold a up diploma" pang nalalaman, susme. basta philippine university sablay sa canada. NO EXCEPTIONS.

    You're obviously NOT from UP.

    So, those UP instructors that got directly onto the master's programme in Canadian unis were ghost? :eek:

    UP's being a member of the APRU has extended it and its graduates to avail privileges that are not so far available in other institutions in the Philippines.


    I recommend knowing before speaking!
  • i should know, my sister is a up alumna, but her up degree didn't guarantee her to get into major canadian universities, not even into the 2nd tier ones. only certain units were credited, pero na-complete na niya 'yung required units so she's with UoT na completing her master's in genetics of development. same thing with my cousin who is a la salle alumnus, but was also required to take some credits in canada, eto 'yung tinatawag nilang "bridging programs". trust me on this, dahil nasa canada ako ngayon, and i'm currently doing some "bridging programs" to get into UoT too.

    sorry but the apru doesn't extend to canada, to some us universities, oo, but not in canada. pahirapan dito. :)
  • You're wasting your time arguing with someone who has no credibility whatsoever.

    Let's just breeze ourselves for an exhilarating experience. :lol:
  • Originally posted by intensity1214
    i should know, my sister is a up alumna, but her up degree didn't guarantee her to get into major canadian universities, not even into the 2nd tier ones. only certain units were credited, pero na-complete na niya 'yung required units so she's with UoT na completing her master's in genetics of development. same thing with my cousin who is a la salle alumnus, but was also required to take some credits in canada, eto 'yung tinatawag nilang "bridging programs". trust me on this, dahil nasa canada ako ngayon, and i'm currently doing some "bridging programs" to get into UoT too.

    sorry but the apru doesn't extend to canada, to some us universities, oo, but not in canada. pahirapan dito. :)


    You’re obviously making up stories. No one would ever believe you have a sister who graduated from UP. You don't have a cousin from La Salle too. Stop it Please!!!!!!! You’re dragging clean and good names into your unconventional behavior.

    Gumising ka!!!!!!!
  • ayokong gumising. gusto kong maging parte ng bangungot mo. :D
  • tumigil nga kayo. paskong pasko nagaaway kayo
  • Originally posted by intensity1214
    hindi rin.

    canadian universities will not accept any philippine college graduates directly into their masters, usually 1-2 years lang ang macrecredit na na-earn ng applicant sa kanyang bachelor's degree. ulit ka baga ng 2 taon kahit anong school ka pa.

    and for phil. hs grads, you need to take some canadian hs credits to qualify for admissions.

    kaya tigilan na ang kasinungalingan, puede? may mga "except those who hold a up diploma" pang nalalaman, susme. basta philippine university sablay sa canada. NO EXCEPTIONS.


    absolutely right! hehe...my ex-girlfriend is currently taking up units at a certain college there(i forgot the name). From what she told me, she was supposed to take up High School again in order for her to become accepted at the Univ. of British Columbia. but she opted to go to a certain community college there, graduate, then go to that univ. yep, studying there can really cost you an arm and a leg... my ex told me she's paying something like Php200K per term there...
  • Originally posted by clayCROFT
    Hi mozart.

    I believe a UP degree in Diliman, Los Banos, Manila and the Visayas is an exception. Most of the recognised Canadian unis do accept a UP undergraduate degree as a standalone requirement. I know this because 1.) the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines is saying so and 2.) there are already a lot of UP grad who got onto the master's programme in some of the well-established unis in Canada only with a baccalaureate degree.

    Already 3 of my former instructors/professors in UP Diliman have acquired their MS from U of Toronto, UBC and Dalhousie.

    Let me clarify some info for people who really are interested in studying in canada.

    It IS possible to get into a canadian univ straight from a philippine academic institution provided you have the necessary requirements (i.e. super-phenomenal grades, ultra-remarkable work experience for post-grad programs). This deviation from the usual rule is not exclusive to UP graduates. Anyone who graduated from Ateneo, UST, La Salle, Xavier, or whatever pinoy school can inquire about this but admission will still be determined on a case-to-case basis. But it IS possible.

    Also, being a UP graduate doesnt automatically get a person into any Canadian univ. Your UP diploma is worth squat unless your grades are at least above-average
  • our professors at UP graduated from top UK, US, australian, japanese and canadian universities right after receiving their undergraduate degrees from UP--

    for example:

    mary ann espina-architecture at univ of masachussetts

    thelma arambulo-english at pennsylvania

    gemino abad-english at chicago

    architect aleta at new south wales in australia

    victor paz, wendell capili, ana labrador and mahar lagmay at cambridge

    law dean raul pangalangan from harvard

    computer science professor rommel feria at university of london's imperial college

    history professor luisa camagay and european languages professor erwin bautista from university of paris at sorbonne

    senor teodoro maranan at universidad central de madrid complutense

    UP president nemenzo, randy david from university of manchester

    history professor milagros guerrero and UP VP jose dalisay from university of michigan

    engineering professor jay sabido from stanford university

    these are just some of the few professors with degrees abroad. ang dami dami pang iba na di ko maalala sa dami.

    UP degrees certainly count overseas, even in this day and age!
Sign In or Register to comment.