Home PEx Campus The Academe
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

PDI: Joaquin, Nolledo, Condino to receive UST literature prize

I know this is a little too late, but the event was just 2 days ago (Dec. 11). I can't find the archived article (lifestyle section -- D2; december 6, 2004) right now, but i'll post it as soon as i find the article.

Parangal Hagbong is the highlight of the 20th USTETIKA awards, the country's longest running campus literary awards.

judges:
National Artist Virgilio Almario
Cirilo Bautista
Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo
Jun Cruz-Reyes
Oscar Campomanes

congratulations to our thomasian poets!

UST -- a center of excellence in literature (honorific).

Nick Joaquin
- National Artist for literature
- associate in arts degree from the old UST college of liberal arts (now merged with philets)
- famous work: "La Naval de Manila"

Wilfido Nolledo
- literary editor, the varsitarian (1957)
- Bachelor of Literature in Journalism, UST
- famous work: "But for the lovers" -- published in the USA.
- Received the TOYM (ten outstanding young men of the Philippines) in 1963

Ben Villar Condino
- Journalism graduate, UST
- first bicol poet to receive the "Makata ng Taon" award from the Surian ng Wikang Pambansa twice --in 1951 and 1967.
- Gintong pamana awardee for excellence in literature (2003)
- reporter of the "Bagong Buhay" (now taliba) and editor-in-chief of Mabuhay of DMHM publications in 1972.
- famous work: "Puera Biro"

previous awardees:
Rolando Tinio
Rogelio Sicat
Genoveva Edroza Matute
National Artist Elizalde Navarro
Erma Cuizon
Reynaldo Duque
Ponciano Pineda
Lilia Pablo Amansec
Bienvenido Lumbera
Sr. Delia Coronel, ICM

VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Comments

• sorry, it's wilfrido.
  • even the late zenaida amador graduated from UST. she deserves to be nominated next year by UST too, since she's one of the pioneers in Philippine theater. she founded the repertory ('yun ba spelling nun?) of the philippines. she was also instrumental to the careers of monique wilson and lea salonga.
  • University of Santo Tomas Literature and Journalism Programs - Simply, the creators of the best literatis and journalists.

I also recommend F. Sionil Jose. A former UST Graduate School professor and a retired associate of the UST Creative Writing Center.

And of course, the literary matriarch Ophelia Alcantara-Dimalanta, the creator of literatis and one of the reasons why UST is the best sanctuary for literature.

By the way, Nick Joaquin is also considered a national artist for journalism. he is called "Quijano de Manila," a pen name he used when he did journalistic legwork. I enjoyed reading an essay in the RMAF, "Literature versus Journalism," a discourse by the late national artist.

VIVA SANTO TOMAS
  • viva santo tomas
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

viva!
  • Narcoleptic.
  • starczamorastarczamora Sissie DaToic PEx Moderator
    Galing talaga ng USTe, gaya natin... :glee: