Home PEx Campus The Academe
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

UP Physics student wins young DOST scientist awards

UP Physics student wins young DOST scientist awards

from INQ7.net:

Updated 07:33am (Mla time) Dec 11, 2004
By Alexander Villafania
INQ7.net

A GRADUATING Physics student recently bagged this year’s Young Scientists Competition top prize for his two related projects on microelectronics, which are aimed at helping the country’s semiconductor firms.

Edward Carlo Samson, a 21-year old student of the University of the Philippines Diliman presented two projects from his team for this year’s contest. The first one is a customized confocal microscope assembled using stock parts from existing microscopes and mounted gold nanobeads that increased the resolution of the microscope’s lens.

Confocal microscopes create 3-dimensional images up to 0.2 microns of integrated circuits (IC), which are the basic components of all electronic devices. These microscopes are commonly used to detect defects in ICs.

The second project is the actual application of the confocal microscope: 3D high resolution failure analysis of ICs using the confocal microscope’s near-infrared spectral imaging quality. Failure analysis is a practice by semiconductor firms to seek faults within raw ICs, prior to mass manufacturing of circuit boards for electronic devices.

Samson’s failure analysis project also does not need to cut a sample from a test IC, which is common practice during failure analysis. The failure analysis project of Samson and his team lessens the cutting process, thus saving the semiconductor firm from wastage.

Samson and his team also received about 300,000 pesos from the UP Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Development to pursue the 3D high resolution failure analysis project.

Samson said that both projects were developed as potential and inexpensive alternatives to existing failure analysis processes for semiconductor firms, who mostly spend millions on the equipment and the failure analysis process itself.

“My colleagues from the Physics Lab in UP recognize the importance of the electronics industry in the Philippines. By localizing some of the processes, these firms will be able to save on costs,” Samson said.

Samson also noted that the confocal microscope could also serve as a high-resolution microscope for biotechnology laboratories since their microscope’s pieces came largely from commercially available parts

Comments

• anu ano namang pipitsuging school ang nakalaban ng UP d'yan?
  • Yung mga walang accounting course. :glee:
  • First of all, congrats to UP's Edward Carlo Samson for winning first place!

Congratulations!

Congratulations to

Reinabelle C. Reyes
    (IV BS Physics)
    2nd Place, Young Scientist Competition

and

Joseph Patrick D. Echevarria
    (IV BS Physics with Computer Engineering)
    3rd Place, Young Scientist Competition

They were among five science students awarded by the National Academy of Science and Technology after their research presentation on December 8, 2004 at the Traders Hotel, Manila. First place went to Edward Carlo Samson (V BS Physics, UP). The other finalists were Noelle Andrea Fabie (IV BS MBB, UP) and Wilfrido Kabiling (V BS IE, DLSU).

Reina's work on "Successive Lorentz Boosts: Equivalent Boost and Rotation Using Geometric Algebra" presents a more intuitive and graphical approach to the standard equations for special relativity. This could be a tool to facilitate a more solid grasp of fundamental but abstract concepts in the physics of relativistic systems.

Patrick's work on "Small-Scale Wind Turbine: Design, Assembly and Performance Testing" responds to the challenge of using our largely untapped wind resource as an alternative source of energy. Instead of large-scale windmill farms, however, its focus is on the small-scale wind turbine for low-wind and intermittent conditions.

Again, congratulations to Reina and Patrick. We are truly proud of you!

Congrats to all of the winners and finalists!
  • cccccccc Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    si reinabelle ay salutatorian ng philippine science high school ng batch 2001 ata
  • testosteronetestosterone PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^ She's the valedictorian. Her salutatorian was Celina Pia Patricia Oliveros, now in UP's Intarmed Program.
  • congratulations!
  • Originally posted by testosterone
    ^^ She's the valedictorian. Her salutatorian was Celina Pia Patricia Oliveros, now in UP's Intarmed Program.

correct. she was the vale - the first and last vale from PISAY, Diliman to join with de Ateneo. She transferred there from UP Diliman.
  • Originally posted by clayCROFT
    correct. she was the vale - the first and last vale from PISAY, Diliman to join with de Ateneo. She transferred there from UP Diliman.

Nina Rojas and Adlai DePano, valedictorians of classes 86
    and 73 respectively went to ateneo for their undergrad
  • Originally posted by badabing
    Nina Rojas and Adlai DePano, valedictorians of classes 86
    and 73 respectively went to ateneo for their undergrad
    Ok, she's so far the 3rd and definitely the last vale of Pisay to join with de Ateneo.

was there a vale of UPIS who joined with de Ateneo? because there were already a lot of high school vales from de Ateneo who went to UP for college...and definitely there were more high school vales who went to UP from La Salle greenhills than to DLSU...
    Ok, she's so far the 3rd and definitely the last vale of Pisay to join with de Ateneo.

was there a vale of UPIS who joined with de Ateneo? because there were already a lot of high school vales from de Ateneo who went to UP for college...and definitely there were more high school vales who went to UP from La Salle greenhills than to DLSU...
    i dunno, you're better off asking the registrar of Pisay. i'd assume they track these things just to make graduates fulfill their end of the bargain.
    just curious, what's your stake personally if a lot more honor students go to UP than ateneo or lasalle?
  • ^ ^ Just in case you haven't noticed, clayCroft is just a reincarnation of Ateneo-basher, self-confessed ACET flunkie gerry_lim. In his post above yours, he is just displaying his usual insecurities of the Ateneo.
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    so why don't you start a thread on gerry_lim? :rolleyes:
  • Originally posted by badabing
    i dunno, you're better off asking the registrar of Pisay. i'd assume they track these things just to make graduates fulfill their end of the bargain.

i asked for UPIS not Pisay. we both already know there were already 3 vales of pisay na naligaw sa kabilang side ng katips. Meron din kaya from UPIS kasi naging practise na sa de ateneo high school na sa UP mag-aral ang top graduates nila?
    Originally posted by badabing
    just curious, what's your stake personally if a lot more honor students go to UP than ateneo or lasalle?

actually wala. hindi big deal sa UP ang pagka vale o salu mo. napaka ordinary lang nila sa UP at definitely wala silang especial treatment. they don't brag that they are honor grads themselves. they find no pleasure doing that to their fellow classmates because it would be most likely that their classmates whom they'll try to share their cvs with are high school vales/salus too.

pero dito sa PEX, yan ang labanan. big deal dito kung saan ang vale at salu nag-aaral. cheap and low man pakingan, i have to play with them that way kasi it is the only way that i can successfully make them understand that their uni is still below the calibre of UP maski sa cheap na pamaraan.

kung gusto nyo ng "class" na pamaraan, lalong ma behind ang kalaban.

peace.
  • Originally posted by Ultra_MegaStar
    ^ ^ Just in case you haven't noticed, clayCroft is just a reincarnation of Ateneo-basher, self-confessed ACET flunkie gerry_lim. In his post above yours, he is just displaying his usual insecurities of the Ateneo.

matigas talaga ang ulo mo. matigas o mahina?
    ito sabi ko sayo noon pa:

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=190461
  • cccccccc Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    vale ba? sorry ha? e narinig niyo na ba yung joke? may 04 kasi sinulat sa board sa physics... haring coro at reyna belle... :p

tignan natin kung may makagets... hmm, yung last ba na sinasabi iyo ay dahil alam niyong wala ng valedictorian/salutorian starting batch 2005? ginawa kasi yun para idiscourage yung competition sa ibang tao, gusto nila competition sa sarili mo... bale kailangan mong makakuha ng certain average para maging ***** laude (hindi ito yung exact term e, post ko pagnaalala ko) tas pag 1.5 pataas, with honors ka gragraduate... hay, nalulungkot ako, nabitin ako ng 4th year, di ako nakapagdirector's lister man lang nung high school...
    i asked for UPIS not Pisay. we both already know there were already 3 vales of pisay na naligaw sa kabilang side ng katips. Meron din kaya from UPIS kasi naging practise na sa de ateneo high school na sa UP mag-aral ang top graduates nila?
    ]

i only referred you to the pisay registrar to get an accurate count of valedictorians who attended ateneo. remember you started with "the first and last vale from PISAY" then went to "3rd and definitely the last vale" when confronted with facts. what if another did attend ateneo, will you then revise to "4th and definitely the last vale"? it is wise to hold off such pronouncements till you verified your facts.
    just in case you think that i'm pro-ateneo, i'm not. i believe that up gets a big chunk of the best high school grads. but there is something to be said about pisay vales attending ateneo di ba? their presence there cannot simply be dismissed as "naligaw". somehow ateneo was a fit to their academic and intellectual advancement as was up to several more(vea,abaya,miranda,sabido,zingapan.....).
    actually wala. hindi big deal sa UP ang pagka vale o salu mo. napaka ordinary lang nila sa UP at definitely wala silang especial treatment. they don't brag that they are honor grads themselves. they find no pleasure doing that to their fellow classmates because it would be most likely that their classmates whom they'll try to share their cvs with are high school vales/salus too.

pero dito sa PEX, yan ang labanan. big deal dito kung saan ang vale at salu nag-aaral. cheap and low man pakingan, i have to play with them that way kasi it is the only way that i can successfully make them understand that their uni is still below the calibre of UP maski sa cheap na pamaraan.

kung gusto nyo ng "class" na pamaraan, lalong ma behind ang kalaban.

peace. [/B]

uh..ok
  • Wiko Kabiling was valedictorian of La Salle Green Hills Batch 2000. =)