Famous atheist now believes in God. Still undecided on Easter Bunny & Santa Claus

Alt+Ctrl+DelAlt+Ctrl+Del Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

NEW YORK - A British philosophy professor who has been a leading champion of atheism for more than a half-century has changed his mind. He now believes in God — more or less — based on scientific evidence, and says so on a video released Thursday.

At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England.

Flew said he's best labeled a deist like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was not actively involved in people's lives.

Comments

• Alt+Ctrl+DelAlt+Ctrl+Del Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Another example of "I'm too old and about to die... what if there is a God? I probably should change my beliefs now."

/JK. I'm definitely going to Hell.
  • The guy is not an idiot. I'm sure he didn't think that way.
  • Alt+Ctrl+DelAlt+Ctrl+Del Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Many think he needs to believe in God since he'll die soon. However, he does not believe in an afterlife.
  • micketymocmicketymoc Oversized Member PExer
    Yun lang pala e. Richard Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker has an excellent explanation of the probability of life springing out of crystals or clay deposits. Siguro pwede natin tong ibigay na gift ka Mr. Flew.

Tamang-tama, Christmas pa naman. ;)
  • my_identitymy_identity ATheist PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^The blind watchmaker argument has been refuted before if my memory serves me right. Anyway, who are we to judge? :D
    Cite your sources.
    Contrary to your link, not all mutations are harmful. And your link also leaves out a crucial element of the natural selection model: mutation PLUS natural selection EQUALS evolutionary change. Not "mutation EQUALS evolutionary change."

Focusing solely on harmful mutations (Nobody denies they exist) - and harmful human mutations at that - the author of the link sets up a straw man argument that anyone can see right through.
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    quoted from the article:
    "Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe."

that doesn't necessarily mean god. an intelligence could mean an alien.

quoted from the article:
    "Flew said he's best labeled a deist like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was not actively involved in people's lives."

and if he is deist. he may not believe in punishment after death. i think a deist god creates the universe and then leaves people on their own, similar to taoism. theists might sometimes even consider them still 'atheist' since the deist god does not show love or care to its creations
  • tianak_metianak_me Banned by Admin PExer
    Senility. Don't let it bother you.

Agree. "There might be an intelligence behind life/the universe/everything" is miles away from "There is a God with the power to forgive sins and send souls to heaven."
  • yeah, and those aliens could be buddhists.
    quoted from the article:
    "Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe."

He concluded that some sort of intelligence created the universe. You've said that it might be an alien. But an alien, is still a part of the universe since it is still a creation. Unless it's outside the universe. But that's another topic.

Anyway, what's important is that He now realized that chance alone cannot come up with a universe as spectacular as this is. It requires an input of intelligence. That source of intelligence is the very essence of what God is. ;)
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie Moderator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    the collapse of the schrodinger wave...
  • TruthsayerTruthsayer Member PExer
    Another godless oger bites the dust. :lol: :lol:
  • st.angerst.anger Domo! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    old people, what can you expect? crazy mofos.
  • jaypoxxjaypoxx @#%^* PExer
    Could I pls. know the scintific studies he was referring to.
  • Lucca YamazakiLucca Yamazaki die boy abunda die! PExer
    aw man, another origin of life discussion and I missed it... mayn...
    Famous Atheist STILL Doesn't Believe in God

"I recognize that developments in physics coming on the last twenty or thirty years can reasonably be seen as in some degree confirmatory of a previously faith-based belief in god, even though they still provide no sufficient reason for unbelievers to change their minds. They certainly have not persuaded me." - Antony Flew
This discussion has been closed.