Home PEx Campus The Academe
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

What should ADMU do to prove its worth in ICT?

A post taken from our administrator in Ateneo.
Also, I want to debunk this impression that high school students and their parents have: that Ateneo is not the school for ICT-related courses. I'm not sure what is perpetuating this idea, but I keep hearing it from all kinds of people. With any luck, showing (off?) our track record will convince our audiences the ICT-related education that we provide is world-class.

What do you think?

Probably, we just need some time. After all, our achievements will prove ourselves in the future.

Comments

• specialize. computer science, or ict, is not a general field anymore. like doctors, a general practitioner sometimes isn't enough. you need people who deeply specialize in the different fields of comsci.
  • Publish papers. Participate in conferences. Let yourselves be heard. Simply having sophisticated courses is not enough; what you need is to have yourselves recognized in the proper communities, both locally and internationally.

Remember that your main intent should not be to attract high school graduates and potential students. Your main focus should be to build up your rep with communities like the IEEE and the local ECE Conference, and everything else will follow.
  • I don't know man, but some of Ateneo's comsci profs has published international papers. The recent work of Dr. Luis Sarmenta (who has a Ph.D. from M.I.T. btw) won $125,000.00 from Microsoft.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Yes, but "publishing papers" in the academic world often means many papers, not a few. What my colleague means is the development of a capability to create knowledge, not just transmit it.
  • Rave, and KuyaDanny, Can I know the university that you represent. Do you think any Philippine university has that capability to create knowledge specially in ICT? Thank you.
  • I'm no ICT person, but I do believe, Ateneo or any Philippine University (well not just any...) for that matter has the capability you speak of. If a technician from Greenhills with very limited education can find ways around SIM blocking... what would prevent your PhD's or professors from developing new algorithms in computing?

What I'm not so sure about your query is this: Is knowledge created or is it already existent but just not discovered?

Tabi-tabi po, I just can't help it... GROWLZZZZ!

:D
  • atenean_hero101

Sometimes, we must concede that we are still not the number 1 school for ITC related courses. Yes, we are proving our worth to the competition, but there is still room for improvement.
  • We also know the brand of UP Education. But yes, we are the best private institution.
  • I know that many Philippine universities have the capacity to create knowledge. The problem is that it just stays as capacity and is rarely turned into something useful. For example, studying highly technical and scientific subjects would be of no use if you don't try to add new ideas to them. One way universities can remedy this problem is by being a bit more strict in accepting thesis proposals.
  • i have to agree with ziggyboy's post. also here in the US, I did notice that if ever undergrads do a thesis, they are graduate-level research material already... in other words, they contribute to their own fields already, and not just implement something for business or something useful that has been done before my a million other people.

although i have to hand it out to ateneo now. when i left a few years ago, the thesis projects were really not that good. now they are more strict about the proposals, and have more faculty members guiding students so they can get topics in more subfields of computer science. this is a good start. but i do hope too that even individual classes would be more research-oriented. also, maybe introduce the idea of seminar classes. so faculty members would get to directly work with students and introduce them to the world of research in computer science.
  • ateneo discs, or any other IT institution for that matter, should not hire jolina as its image model.
  • si Boy Abunda, great image ng ateneo. :)
  • Do you think any Philippine university has that capability to create knowledge specially in ICT?
    Of course. I'm sure you have heard one or more Pinoy success stories, where a smart Filipino person (regardless of school) made it big overseas with a remarkable breakthrough, invention or discovery. But looking closer upon the details would reveal them to be making their achievements under foreign institutions and corporations. Clearly something is wrong here.

The way I see it (and this definitely comes from first-hand experience) is that the financial powers-that-be on our society fail to see the tremendous potential in the Filipino ICT learner. Projects in ICT are grossly underfunded, and in the case of *some* agencies in DOST, overlooked and summarily dismissed as useless, without even permitting them the chance to grow.

In this regard, Ateneo has quite a chance of making it big in the ICT scene because of its being a private institution with relatively more money to fund research endeavors. Without a doubt the talent and potential is there in its students simply because its students are Filipino, but what remains to be done is to unlock said potential and realize something useful. As an academic institution, it is Ateneo's duty to take more risks -- more risks than what the normal corporate can afford. Start daring projects, publish papers, get the attention of funding institutions. Then with more funds, start more daring projects, study more, contribute more.
    Yes, but "publishing papers" in the academic world often means many papers, not a few. What my colleague means is the development of a capability to create knowledge, not just transmit it.
    Exactly. A one-hit wonder won't catch the attention of any IEEE fellow. What one needs to make his name in the inner circles is to publish one paper after another, after another, after another.

One way to do this is to steer the focus of your ICT department to only a few specialized disciplines. Filter research proposals if you need to; don't mind any protests from the students regarding academic freedom and such. Simply point out the department goals and they will be sure to understand. This is nice to do especially if the teaching staff is still a few in number. Along with this, establish a continuity across your laboratories' research efforts, so that you won't be stuck reinventing the wheel each term. Do something like: OFDM Level 1, OFDM Level 2, OFDM Level 3... well you get the idea.

Will post further thoughts as they come. Good luck!
  • pepsibluepepsiblue PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ateneo team res cogitans qualifies as a wildcard to the world competition of the ACM ICPC.
    Congrats.
  • ^ ^ ^ Is the Ateneo team the only Philippine team that qualified?
  • pepsibluepepsiblue PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ateneo placed 2nd to Tokyo university in the past ACM's division championship. they are the Philippine champions. only 2nd placers of different divisions are given the chance to be a wildcard entry.
  • Regarding winning contests, topping board exams, etc: I think it's nice to win contests and score high in exams, but the true proving ground in my opinion still lies in the arena of research publication. By winning contests and scoring in exams, all you will have proven is that you have exceptional aptitude in the pool of knowledge that already exists. By contributing through research, you prove a lot more by actually making significant additions to that pool of knowledge.

Though I can understand why almost everyone here puts such high regard for contests and exams, because if you make it big there your names get published in the more mainstream media (and thus makes you famous quicker... especially if you post threads about it in PEx). On the other hand if your research gets selected for a prestigious conference, the news will only reach those who are "in the know" in the ICT field's inner circles of elite thinkers (where's the thrill in that?). But one thing you have to consider is that it is these elite few who are influential, who have the power to make recommendations, sway ranking surveys, and approve fundings; as opposed to the general public who will only care for about a week.
    no need to prove. it has already proven!
    I will give this post the benefit of the doubt since it provides the perfect opportunity for my next point. The thread title is a question. It solicits advice and opinions on how Ateneo can improve its standing in the field of ICT. There is nothing wrong with admitting that you still have some areas in which you can still improve. But there is definitely something wrong if you are so sure of yourself that you think there is nothing else about you that needs improvement. That is equivalent to saying that you are perfect, which is quite an audacious claim and also is usually far from the truth. If you fancy yourself or your institution to be so perfect, one look at the world university rankings will easily tell you that such is not the case. Nothing is perfect, so let's just be more open-minded to suggestions.

If anyone else posts further suggestions here, let's not take it as ridicule or so degrading that we must retaliate with our own compensatory remarks. Let's be mature individuals and take these suggestions as positive.