Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

New int'l weight limit for check-in luggage: 50 lbs

To all travelers, have you heard this piece of bad news? I just checked my airline and a friend of mine also confirmed 3 weeks ago that the new int'l limit for check-in luggage is 50 lbs from the previous 70 lbs. So if you're allowed 2 pieces of luggage, you've lost a whopping 40 lbs! Anybody traveled under this new rule?

Comments

• Well, pack light! I don't consider this bad news at all. It would make travellers rethink what they should bring with them.

When I backpacked around Europe for 10 weeks, the weight of my luggage was only 9-10 lbs. A luggage (or two) weighing 50lbs seems quite excessive already for one person unless you are planning on bringing home boxes full of "pasalubong".

Besides, some carriers in Europe (such as RyanAir and EasyJet) restrict check-in baggages to about 15-20 lbs.
  • Meron pa ring makakalusot sa rule na yan. Northwest's Worldperks Elite customers are exempted from this rule.
  • I'm flying out on December and China Air still allows 70lbs/checked-in luggage. In fact we are allowed up to 3 checked-in luggages dahil promo daw nila. Although ang pabalik will be the regular 2 each.

Medyo useless since I'm probably going to bring back more stuff than I'm bringing going home to Manila.
  • TravelBugTravelBug PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    All airlines ba ito? I just checked the websites of PAL, Northwest, Cathay and Singapore Airlines. 70 lbs pa din ang limit for transpacific flights.
  • sana naman nde... ang konti ng 50 lbs.

yes, I do pack light, but it's going back home that I'm having trouble with. I bring lots of stuff for my family and friends.

Most of the time I leave behind some of my clothes abroad just to make way for consumables... baka mabulok, and mababalikan ko naman ung damit.... Na-max ko talaga yung 70 lbs.
  • how about Continental?
  • Originally posted by angst
    Meron pa ring makakalusot sa rule na yan. Northwest's Worldperks Elite customers are exempted from this rule.
    I think a different rule applies first class passengers. I don't see anything about the new weight limit in the IATA website. Cathay Pacific still has a limit of 70 lbs or 32 kg per checked bag.
  • To quote the email I received from Northwest:

For international travel on Northwest Airlines® between Asia and the United States or Canada on/after November 1, 2004 with tickets issued on/after August 1, 2004, the free weight allowance for each checked baggage will be 50lbs (23 kgs) when traveling in Economy Class and 70lbs (32 kgs) when traveling in World Business ClassSM. You can check up to a maximum of 2 pieces of baggage per person with linear dimension (length plus width plus height) of 62 inches (158 cm) per each checked piece. For details, please click here or contact your local Northwest Reservations Office at (02) 841-8800.
  • how about continental???? does anyone know.. im going to pinas kasi in december.......... and have a bunch of pasalubong for family.............. anyone know?
  • why don't you call Continental.
  • Originally posted by heymikey
    Well, pack light! I don't consider this bad news at all. It would make travellers rethink what they should bring with them.

When I backpacked around Europe for 10 weeks, the weight of my luggage was only 9-10 lbs. A luggage (or two) weighing 50lbs seems quite excessive already for one person unless you are planning on bringing home boxes full of "pasalubong".

Besides, some carriers in Europe (such as RyanAir and EasyJet) restrict check-in baggages to about 15-20 lbs.

I agree..travel light:)
  • annieliseannielise PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^ You know what, if I could, I'd love to, but I'm travelling with an infant who's a lap child (he doesn't have his own seat), so i'm packing for both of us. Anyone who has kids knows that packing for an infant is no small feat. Not all people can pack light, even if they want to.
  • For international travel on Northwest Airlines® between Asia and the United States or Canada on/after November 1, 2004 with tickets issued on/after August 1, 2004, the free weight allowance for each checked baggage will be 50lbs (23 kgs) when traveling in Economy Class and 70lbs (32 kgs) when traveling in World Business ClassSM. You can check up to a maximum of 2 pieces of baggage per person with linear dimension (length plus width plus height) of 62 inches (158 cm) per each checked piece. For details, please click here or contact your local Northwest Reservations Office at (02) 841-8800.

pwede bang ask kung sa cathay pacific pwede din 2 baggage per person? would that be 70 lbs per baggage? thanks for the reply. :)
  • alam ko ganun pa rin sa cathay... nag fly ako via cathay dec 1 and wala namang changes...
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If pasalubongs or pabilins were an issue, then buy the most important & expensive ones. In that way, malilimit mo yung dala mo sa mga importante lang.

You can buy almost everything to your destination. & yung mga nagaabang ng pasalubong eh di pakainin mo nalang sa restaurant. & tell them na hindi ka si santa claus. :)

A little practicality goes a long way.
  • alam ko ganun pa rin sa cathay... nag fly ako via cathay dec 1 and wala namang changes...

ilan baggage ba ang dala mo? 2 bags ba?
  • NORTHWEST AIRLINES makes exceptions for travel wholly between U.S./Canada and the Philippines, checked pieces may weigh up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each.

It is clearly stated on their website.
  • ilan baggage ba ang dala mo? 2 bags ba?

1 70 lbs luggage and 1 70 lbs box!
  • yun auntie ko nman,nakalabas ng u.s this january lang papunta ng pinas...2 boxes,both 70 lbs!philippine airline pala yun sinakyan nya...so i guess depende siguro..