Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

UST launches Alfredo M. Velayo College of Accountancy

from PHILSTAR:

UST launches Alfredo M. Velayo College of
Accountancy

The University of Santo Tomas (UST) and the
UST College of Commerce Alumni Foundation
Inc. (COCAFI) launched the UST-Alfredo M.
Velayo College of Accountancy yesterday.

The Department of Accountancy, which is
currently under the College of Commerce and
Accountancy, will be spun off as a separate
degree-granting unit of UST and is being named
in honor f one of its illustrious alumni, Alfredo M.
Velayo. The naming of a college after a private
individual is an unprecedented event in the 393-
year history of the oldest university in the
Philippines.

Alfredo M. Velayo graduated summa ***** laude
with a degree in Commerce in 1940 at the age of
18. He passed the board examinations for CPA
that same year and emerged as one of the top
placers. In 1946, he co-founded with Washington
Sycip the countrys premiere professional
services firm, Sycip Gorres Velayo & Co. (SGV).
When he retired in 1971, he assumed several key
positions in the business.

The UST COCAFI, headed by its president,
Laura Suarez Acuzar, recommended the creation
of a separate College of Accountancy as the
initial project of its endowment campaign,
Rekindling the Thomasian SpiritOnwards to
2011. The campaign aims to benefit the College
of Commerce and transform it into a Center of
Excellence by the time UST celebrates its
quadricentennial anniversary in 2011.

Fr. Rector Tamerlane R. Lana, O.P. says, This
is a milestone for the university which we hope will
inspire our students, faculty and alumni to work
together towards our 400th anniversary in 2011.
Mr. Velayo personifies the values and ideals
imbibed by the university in its continuous quest
for excellence in education. We are so fortunate to
have this opportunity to honor one of our alumni in
a meaningful and lasting way.

Comments

• So the only pride of College of Commerce will spread its wing.

Hello to all Commerce students and alumni.
  • So it did push through...that's good to hear!! when I was still in college, I heard na the news...how come kaya hindi si Washington Sycip...

pwede ding Sycip, Velayo College of Accountancy!! dont know kasi if Gorres or Gores is from UST!hehe!:)

I hope this would make us even more stand out in the board exams!
  • I knew Washington Sycip is a Thomasian, I never knew Velayo was also a Thomasian. This is really awesome.
    I also saw this article in yesterday's edition of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, and it made me think of a number of questions: Would it greatly benefit the students? Would it enhance/uplift/improve the standard of education? Would it benefit the university? Would it improve more the University's standings in the board exams? If it does, then go for it. But I guess there's no other way to find out if we don't try.
    Kudos to the UST College of Commerce!
  • Mabuti para sa Accountancy pero paano naman ang Business course. Dapat bigyan din nila importansiya ang lahat ng courses hindi porke may board exam ang iba.
  • Originally posted by JudgeMINT
    Mabuti para sa Accountancy pero paano naman ang Business course. Dapat bigyan din nila importansiya ang lahat ng courses hindi porke may board exam ang iba.

I agree. I think this was brought about by the initiative of Accountancy grads of UST of stand out. Well, I guess for the other courses being offered in the College of Commerce to also stand out, I think the alumni must also take action. The Faculty of Arts and Letters, especially their Philets/Artlets alumni association and the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery alumni association are very active. Sad to say, other alumni associations within the University are not so active. Other schools' alumni association are very much active, and these schools are the ones which really benefit.
  • Originally posted by JudgeMINT
    Mabuti para sa Accountancy pero paano naman ang Business course. Dapat bigyan din nila importansiya ang lahat ng courses hindi porke may board exam ang iba.

Most Alumni who are active in the COCAFI are Accounting Majors/Accountancy graduates. Kung magiging active din sana ang BA/ECO Alumni magiging maganda din siguro yun Programs nila. Im not saying na panget ang BA/ECO (FYI, BA is a COD) but theres always room for improvement.

"We already have the wings... all we need to do is to learn how to fly..."

Pontifica et Regalis! Viva Santo Tomas!
  • Ano na'ng balita dito? :)
  • This is good news for the accountancy department..nabalitaan ko na nga to before...basta! .. =) they deserve it naman. sana nga din bigyan focus din yung other departments..ba,eco and entrep..nakakainis kasi yung mga news na magkaka another ust campus pero pwede naman gamitin ang funds to improve muna the quality of education and buildings in its current campus!