FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

The Buzz Was Mean Last Sunday

Share ko lang ito (I agree with everything in this article):

http://news.inq7.net/entertainment/...id=15846&col=30

THE ARTICLE....

"THE BUZZ" was mean last Sunday.

I don't say the whole show was, but neither do I say this was the only time it has been. Having been away from the tube for a time, I may have missed even more shining examples.

I just know that I ended up wincing Sunday.

The show had this hyper voiceover that accompanied itself with what I can only call multiple leery laughter. The kind that thinks it has scored after humiliating someone. The kind that comes with a taste for venganza and the jugular.

This is not sutil, this is not playtime, this is not fun, this is kill time.

(And if that voice belongs to John Lapus, I cry at the thought of this man's huge talents being abused in this fashion by his own network.)

The voiceover was poking fun at things which, even at our lowest, we should only be whispering about -and following up with a sign of the cross so that Satan doesn't come recruiting!

It was guffawing over the flab in a young actor's middle. Ridiculing a young female star's hair in the armpit. Snickering about the English of the stars.

I kept thinking: Why and how and when did the show go so low?

Sure, on the screen a young male star's capital is his body, and having no flab is sterling sign of personal discipline-but I ask: Who gave these guys the right to pounce on that and grind at it like some beast to a prey? They might comment on it as part of the almost superhuman demands of cinema on the human body, why not, but to hound the boy in this way?

Pray: Can you guys even pass a flab test yourselves?

Sure, long hair on a girl's armpit is not the currently accepted convention-but what gods are they to shame someone in this manner? How would they feel if they were that girl's brother? Right. Think murder.

Think too: Are you really such specimens of beauty and grooming yourselves?

And sure, getting their English right is a plus for any star-but what icons of diction and idiom are they that would presume to flagellate others for every misstep? How colonial can anyone get in an age when to say "get back to the colonies" is to court world censure?

And answer this: If you guys were lined up, will you actually pass a basic English grammar and diction test? Or will all the educated blokes in this country have a riotous dinner at your expense?

Cheapest level

"The Buzz" was shaming the stars over these non-issues on no less than national television, too, which only means that the show was pinning down the visceral and mental lives of its audience to the cheapest level.

And this being the show-biz program that its network touts as No. 1 in entertainment, we can only imagine how many people-millions should be a
good number-these stars now have to hide their faces from wherever they go in the country.

Yet, in a terrible mix-up of good and bad, the program's ratings will actually feed on this and keep going up and up.

Add this to the final blow: The show went to town humiliating only stars belonging to "the other" channel!

Texting Kris

After wincing, I stewed. I ended up texting Kris Aquino even while she was still on the air.

Why Kris? Simply because I've always liked this girl. Through all her excesses and bad judgments, she's never struck me as mean-spirited or tight or ugly. True, she lashes out even from the unfair advantage of TV, but thus far she's done so from blind fury and not premeditated venom.

So I couldn't for the life of me understand why "The Buzz" wasn't picking up from her kind of spirit. She is the show's crowd drawer, after all!

Kris texted back (and I'm sorry I failed to get her permission to use this): "Sorry ha. But Jo Ann on a weekly basis 'Star Talk' subjects me to humiliation and lait. Will forward your text to Roxy [Liquigan, 'The Buzz' supervising producer]."

And she is right.

GMA 7 does the very same thing!

It will so carelessly mount an attack on stars from "the other" station but will zealously "protect" its own to death.

It will leave its stars untouched, even if a controversy there promised a bit of ratings. Because, well, it can get those numbers just as easily by "outing" the other channel's matinee idols, releasing blind items suggesting their immorality, or hinting at fissures in their marriages.

There is motive, there is opportunity, there is means. It is the murder of entertainment!

Descent to No. 1

GMA 7's "StarTalk" does to Kris and other ABS-CBN talents what ABS-CBN's "The Buzz" does to GMA 7 talents.

It has almost become a question of who is doing it to more stars more often more crassly.

And everything comes down to these two networks' drag-down fight to be No. 1!

Question is: Is this what it means to be No. 1?

To be the most murderous and the most vicious? To make entertainment a killing field? To tap into everyone's lowest common denominator?

Both stations forget that they are still in every way part of the broadcast industry, which is integral to the media profession, which in turn falls under basic journalistic rules.

Foremost of which is fairness.

Where is the fairness in mowing down a new star's sense of self because of hair in the armpit? And only because she happens to belong to the competing station and, even there, may be too small a star to get her network roused?

That's another thing: It's the small stars that get it every time.

Judy Ann Santos will not get it, not alone because she is nice, but because her manager is feared. Claudine Barretto will not get it, not even because she doesn't deserve it, but because her handler is powerful.

They're big; they're safe.

True, big ones like Kris and Goma will get it sometimes, but that's because these two are magnets for public love or public hate. No one is indifferent to these two! But they will not get it all the time because they have the means to fight back: They have big bucks, they have strong managers, they have their networks' backing.

So we're back to the networks. For in the end, it is they that determine whether their entertainment programs will go in one direction or another.

One memo alone can do it-or undo it.

But I guess if the continued crassness brings in the numbers, chances are we'll simply be wincing through many more Sundays. Being No. 1- whether having it or having it to wrest back-is the god before which all talk of "service" to nation and country flies.

And entertainment is always commissioned in every network war to be No. 1!

Marami pang nakasulat about how Channel 7 is also doing the same to the other channel's stars...but sorry, I cannot remember(although I do not watch Startalk or S-files regularly) these shows doing something as irritating as what the Buzz does (well, maybe sometimes they have a portion where they also poke fun at the English grammars of the stars, but it's not done in the same IRRITATING MANNER as the BUZZ).

I was not able to watch the bit about the "alleged" armpit hair of nadine, but my sister was able to watch and she said it was way below the belt...the segment clearly meant to HUMILIATE...and to do a followup report on it the ffolowing weeks clearly denotes MALICIOUS INTENT...treating it like it was some important showbiz issue.....SHAME TO THEIR WRITERS AND THE VOICE-OVER TALENT......if the armpit hair was really true, WHAT?!IS IT A CRIME?!AS FAR AS I KNOW, HAVING HAIR IN THE ARMPITS--ALTHOUGH SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE IF SEEN IN GIRLS IN THE PUBLIC----IS PERFECTLY NATURAL.....

UNLIKE HAVING STD AND ANNOUNCING IT TO THE WORLD, LIVING IN WITH A MARRIED MAN, HAVING PLASTIC SURGERIES, FLAUNTING ALL YOUR FAME AND WEALTH AND POWER TO AN IMPOVERISHED NATION, RELATING THE DETAILS OF ONE'S ROMANTIC AFFAIRS, ETC, ETC...

OKAY ANG PUMUNA KUNG KAPUNA-PUNA ANG ISSUE....HINDI YUNG ITSURA O IBA PANG KABABAWAN AND PILIT GINAGAWANG ISSUE....JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW SHALLOW THE BUZZ IS(NOT THAT I'M SAYING THE OTHER SHOWBIZ TALK SHOWS ARE MALALIM IN CONTENT, BUT THIS SHOW TAKES THE CAKE IN KABABAWAN....MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE HOST MAYBE?).....

I WOULD RATHER ADMIRE SOMEBODY WHO MAY INADVERTENTLY FORGOTTEN TO SHAVE HER PITS AND WORN SLEEVELESS CLOTHING THAN SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN ALL SORTS OF SORDID AFFAIRS (ie, STD, GETTING INVOLVED WITH MARRIED MEN, FLIRTING IN PUBLIC, ETC..) ANYTIME, ANYWAY, ANYHOW !!!!

DEEP SIGH....FELT GOOD GETTING THAT OFF MY CHEST....

Comments

• henri_2004henri_2004 Banned by Admin PExer
    walang pinagkaiba yan sa tigbak ng startalk at mas marahas un! kaya wag kaung pasaway at ika nga ni angelica "over O.A." kayo!

im sure natatawa din kau noh!

anyway.. tuloy pa rin pala ang ANTI ABS NOISE ng GMA ha galvante at butch racquel!

hay naku.. we can never can tell kung kelan matatapos ang campaign na yan ng GMA huh! kaya magtigil ung mga fans ng GMA jan.. titigan nilang mabuti ang TIGBAK ng startalk! pagkatapos humiling ng isang pose.. ookrayin.. un ang totoong pambabastos!

magbabalik ang THE BASH! hahahahaha!!!!!!!
  • v(",)nv(",)n you've been on my mind. PExer
    :rolleyes:
  • pollywogpollywog ...just because ✭✭✭
    ...marami pa yang neagative write na ups na yan(againts ABS). Lalabas within the next few days...
  • dhynnylldhynnyll pala kape PExer
    yung issue bout nadine is fabricated ....while the issue bout the other girl is true.......yun lang.......;)
  • mykel14mykel14 Oh, ****. ✭✭✭
    well...sabi nga ni ara mina

you can never can tell...

:glee: :lol: :rotflmao:
  • vertigovertigo Lasalista! ✭✭✭
    actually, i thought the Buzz went overboard last Sunday,
    but for Nadine, it only goes to show that she's made. If it wer the unknown sexy starlet wannabees, it wouldn't have made the segment. But I think the Buzz shouldn't have done that, it looked like they were sourgraping.
  • kennakenna Member PExer
    yah, having armpit hair is quite natural. ginagaya lang naman natin ang tate tungkol sa armpit hair removal. sa europe nga eh, hindi pinagtatawanan ang mga babaeng hindi nagsha-shave. some european guys nga have fetish for ladies armpit hair, ha ha ha!
  • LydsLyds pure bisdak PExer
    hay sana wala ng away between ABS and GMA. it definitely is not a healthy competition anymore. ang walang mga malay ay papatulan na para lang may mapag usapan.
  • rej_miller18rej_miller18 Ants in my pants! PExer
    duh, if that lady columnist of inquirer found the buzz mean last sunday, i must assume that she doesn't watch startalk..(she claims that she has not gotten glimpses of the boobtube happenings for weeks now)..... coz i believe that startalk is meaner.... not only to kris aquino which they always make as a flavor of the week....

especially their da who segment... its pretty obvious na pag talent ng abs ang pinapahulaan, napakaobvious ng mga clues....
    they even have claudine, ai-ai, erik santos, etc on the who and most of the stories are made up, has no basis and are definitely fallacious in nature....

perhaps he should try to dig deeper as to what is the root cause of this network war......

and she should at least try to pinpoint the anti-abs noise (that is if she's not one of the bayarans), as well as the patutsada of joey de leon in all the shows where he is a mainstay of.......
    ^ So true...
  • mintymalonemintymalone The dynamite PExer
    personally, I feel that it's all part of being in showbiz
    besides hindi sila magaganon kung hindi sila nagkamali one way or the other
  • manddy_leimanddy_lei Member PExer
    e anong magagawa kung talagang may hair sa underarms niya si nadine!

at least, ngyong lang naging mean ang the buzz or the other days, di gaya nila, na umaga, tanghali, gabi,oras-oras, minuto-minuto at bawat segundo, puro panlalait.

at least, ang mga taga abs marunong magsorry at magadmit ng kasalanan. di gya ng kabilang istasyon. na hindi sensitive at puro pananakit lang ang alam.

ganyan kababa ang kanguso.
  • boosterbooster Member PExer
    nagapologize si boy abunda kanina diba?
  • cfox_funlilfunkcfox_funlilfunk Banned by Admin PExer
    nakow!! ewan ko talaga sa GMA!!! e startalk nga! halos kada paabas puro paninira!

e bat naman mmaano yung may buhok sa kilikili??? e baka guilty? nyeee!!!

saka bout yung pa inglish inglish ng mali! sino ba yun! e pa inglish ingish pa kasi!...

Saka MAGSULAT SILA TUNGKOL SA MGA GINAGAWA NG GMA!! kasi sila yung mahilig dyan!! puro paninira!
  • p.h.r.e.a.k.yp.h.r.e.a.k.y w00t w00t! PExer
    :lol:
  • yUP, Boy apologized kahapon, specifically to Angel Locsin and Nadine Samonte...as in those names were mentioned....at least, they know how to say sorry and MEAN it.... yun lang! :)
    ^ Mas 'lalaki' pa si Boy Abunda ke Richard Gomez sa ginawa nya!
  • coydeleoncoydeleon Gatecrasher PExer
    IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO STARTED THIS SH!T, WHAT MATTERS IS THAT NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

At least Abunda had the cajones to apologize, hopefully EVERYONE, as in EVERYONE from Gomez's momma to Kris Aquino's hairdresser and the execs follows suit and GROW THE FRIGGIN HELL UP!
  • janlepitenjanlepiten jakile PExer
    Matagal ko ring napansin ito sa Da Buzz, this is their version of Tigbak pero hindi lang fashion ang tinitigbak nila. Meron ding English grammar & pronunciation. Also I remember na merong sexy starlet na madumi ang paa. Nakakaawa rin si John Lapuz dahil napagkamalan siyang voice over. Cguro may fault din ang viewers dahil maybe they keep doing this because ito rin ang gusto nila.
  • extranjeroextranjero Member ✭✭
    kase naman ang mga tao sa showbiz ay tinitingnan as perfect entities....

at ang pagsabi ng mga gnung balita ay talagang nakakatawa.

i think it's part of showbusiness. kung balat-sibuyas ka then get out of showbiz. di ka bagay dyan!!!

bawat isa naman talaga sa tao ay may malalait e! yun ang gusto ng mga tao. anong magagawa ng producers?!? kug may supply definitely because may demand!

so ang challenge sa mga artista ay mag-ingat sa kanilang mga sinasabi at ginagalaw. they're not ordinary people.... they have lots of people admiring them!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file