FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

I.t. Jobs

bakit kaya ang hirap makahanap ng i.t. jobs... yung mga graduate sa school ko sa s.m. napupunta!

Comments

• Assassin_MageAssassin_Mage Warmonger PExer
    its because in IT, experience counts for a lot and most companies really insist on experience as a basis for employment. It is not enough for someone to graduate any IT course. What is needed is relevant job experience.

I did a lot of interviewing before. and I wold rather choose someone who did not graduate but had lots of experience over someone who is a graduate from a great school but has no experience whatsoever.
  • wooferswoofers I love Aina PExer
    Assassin_Mage has it right. Don't expect to get a job in IT easily just because you took computer science or engineering. You really have to show that you have the passion for IT and didn't get into it just because it's the popular field right now (just as nursing and engineering were before).
    that is actually a misconception a lot of people hold.

"once you graduate an IT course, you can get a job easily"

And it does not help that a lot of IT schools do their best to propagate this idea.

The fact remains that.. Even if you took up .NET, Java, Perl, C/C++, C#, Classic ASP, etc in school, if you do not have the necessary experience to back it up, you are nothing but diddly squat.

Programming in C# is a skill, so is programming in .NET or whatsoever. those are skills. Having such skills are great. But skills do not necessarily equate to Knowledge. And without Knowledge, employability goes down.

If you want to work in the IT, gain the necessarily experience. take on small cheap projects. then after the while try again. by then, I am sure your employability rating would have gone up.
  • uhmuhm --- tao lang po --- PExer
    So what is the most marketable IT field right now?

Database? SAP? What else?
  • kareggielskareggiels Miller Time! PExer
    that is the main problem in the provinces. madami kasi dito ang school na nagooffer ng i.t. courses. tapos mababa naman ang opportunity.. so yung mga graduates sa school ko sa mga department stores napupunta. maswerte na dito yung mga studyante na kinikuha ng schools na maging teacher.
    If you want to work in the IT, gain the necessarily experience. take on small cheap projects. then after the while try again. by then, I am sure your employability rating would have gone up.

ito nga ang ginagawa ko ngayon. freelancer ako ngayon(sideline) hehehe. pero i'm not that good. mababa kasi ang standard sa school ko. so, self study lang ng self study.
  • hellaPinoyhellaPinoy Member PExer
    Yup you guys are right. Even for an IT professional who had 2 years experience, finding a job would prove to be difficult and frustrating. But as most of these people have said, try to get experience, try to be good at it and try to keep up with the changing trends.
    As far as which ones are in demand, try to look at job postings and see what most of the companies are frequently asking for. It sometimes depends on the company, their type of business and what sector they are on. As for SAP, it was good a couple of years ago but trying to get into the business now would be a bit difficult since most companies would prefer experts since they pay a lot for their services.
  • kareggielskareggiels Miller Time! PExer
    ayaw kong maging tambay.
    Originally posted by uhm
    So what is the most marketable IT field right now?

Database? SAP? What else?

Outside of programming, databases (Oracle, etc.) will always be a good foundation. You'll still need solid DB application development or administration experience.

You can't really study SAP on your own. Most of the SAP people I know were trained in SAP upon joining consulting firms. The rest were regular office stiffs (people from finance, HR, etc.) trained to develop and maintain the corporate SAP installation, then became expert in their respective SAP modules.

Systems or network administration is another field you might be able to get into.
    Anybody ever thought of Software Quality Assurance (SQA)?

not many people are in SQA but it is a very lucrative/Marketable field.

another suggestion I can give you people is for you to learn another language. A programmer who has programming skills along with Language skills is very marketable. English of course is a foregone language as it is expected that anyone from the philippines be good in english.

A lot of companies are looking for people who have Chinese/Japanese/other language capabilities. If you are able to say that you can program as well as understand japanese, you have higher chances of not only getting into an IT firm, you will also get more chances to go abroad.
    as for DB, you will need a lot of experience to get in as a DBA.

it should be remembered that Production DBA experience is different from development DBA. most companies look for people who have extensive Production DBA experience.

If you can get certifications, that is one great boost
  • spartonsparton Member PExer
    how about microsoft's .net framework?
  • uhmuhm --- tao lang po --- PExer
    are people with Master's degrees in CS or IT marketable in the industry as well?
    Originally posted by uhm
    are people with Master's degrees in CS or IT marketable in the industry as well?

I'd generally choose someone with real world experience over someone with a master's but no experience.

Possible exception is if their masters thesis or research was something interesting and technical, and in line with the job they're applying for.
    masters degree is fine. but it still boils down to experience.
    If you have experience along with a masters, then you are a go for manager/director level work.

if you dont have any experience, then it is useless. what use is theoretical knowledge without practical application knowledge?
  • sharingansharingan raw power PExer
    i'll be graduating this december with associate degree only.but i do have cisco and microsoft certifications. i may not be a graduate of some prestigious university but i strongly believe i can compete or even surpass them.am i marketable in what i have right now?

need your opinion,sirs!ty
  • florenofloreno Miyembro ✭✭✭
    Companies choose Certified IT professionals more than the masters degree holders.
    masters degree holders as I emphasized are more for the higher management level. and usually it should be coupled with years of experiences
    I have job openings for Unix/C++ developers:

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184948
  • 8nina88nina8 hush PExer
    i didnt graduate with an IT course but Im working for an It company under HR Recruitment.

I have processed a lot of Fresh Grads for my company even without any knowledge in Oracle or what seems to be marketable nowadays.

You just have to show that your eager and enthusiastic about getting a job during interviews. Take note, eager and enthusiastic, not desperate. Being assertive is also good.

Try to be optimistic.

Or you can always forward your resume to [email protected]

we still have openings for Map developers and technical support engineers (unix / Linux is an advantage for the tech support post). Fresh grads are very much welcome.

:)
  • rychurychu nagmemeron pa rin PExer
    Really? I find that contrary to my experience. We graduated 47 I think in the batch and I believe that there are around 4-5 people who are not yet employed because they're still enjoying their much-needed vacation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file