Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

Diarreah

1. How do you cure diarreah?
2. Do tablets (diatabs, imodium, etc..) cure diarreah or they just suppress it?
3. Is it possible for someone to acquire diarreah because of medication? (ie: they are taking drugs that induce diarreah)
4. What are the other possible symptoms of diarreah?

Comments

• 1. You wait for it to subside. In the meantime, you want to take in enough fluids to prevent dehydration.

2. No, they don't cure diarrhea. They just slow down intestinal movement, so there will be slower descent of the feces.

3. Yes, it's possible.

4. Depends on the problem.

Why the questions? You have diarrhea?
  • Eyedoc,

Yeah..I do. Or at least, I think I do. Here are my "symptoms":

1. had fever (on and off) for the following 2 days. (38-39C) but my fever "wears off" often and my temp comes down to like...34-36 C

2. on friday (dawn), my tummy hurt like hell. at first i thought it was just gas cos after i farted, it kinda 'subsided'. later that evening, i started to have diarreah.

3. my diarreah has stopped for a few hours (thanks to imodium) but still, my tummy feels kinda 'bloated' and whenever i press my tummy, it kinda feels like there's gas in it or something.

my mum thinks it's ulcer. my sis thinks it's typhoid fever. i dunno what to think. a couple of months before, my tummy hurt like hell too and my doc advised me to get an ultrasound cos he thinks that the pain may be coming from ulcer, gastritis or from my liver but i didn't get an ultrasound. the pain eventually went away.

thanks for the input.
  • add:

i also lost appetite during the following days. at times, i would feel hungry but after a few bites of food, i don't feel like finishing my meal anymore.

thanks.
  • furoxone... the best for diarrhea!!!
  • Cougar - furoxone is only for specific types of diarrhea, and NOT for all types of diarrhea.

FacJoe - I would suggest that you have a stool examination, but it would be best if you see a doctor first. The fact that you are already having fever and abdominal cramps may indicate someething more than a simple viral infection.

Be it as it may, I would suggest that you lay off the Imodium. Since I presume you're at home sick anyway, you might as well let the "toxins" and "infections" out with the loose bowel movement. Just be sure you have adequate fluids especially after every loose movement, preferably oral rehydration salts like Hydrite, or at the very least, Gatorade.
  • pollywogpollywog PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^yup. diarrhea, tummy ache, fever...looks like symptoms of Amoebiasis.
  • Hmn..this is funny.

Continuous intake of biogesic and decolgen made me feel better. I was monitoring my temp the whole day and the max temp I had was 36.8. I only used the toilet once (my stool was still 'watery') but my sis suggested that I drink Coke to "harden" my stool.

I followed my sis and drank coke everytime I had meal. Surprisingly, I have had no attacks of diarreah or whatever...

Question is, now that I'm feeling better, should I still go to the doc just to be sure or what?

Thanks.
  • If you do feel better, you could simply observe na lang. I'm thinking more along the lines of a flu like infection. Maybe it's already subsiding.

And I suggest you stop the coke in the meantime. There is really no basis for it, except maybe for the fact that it's a fluid.

Next time, don't think about "hardening" the stool or "stopping" the movement. Think about how best to get rid of the infection.
  • eyedoc,

Last Q: I forgot to tell you that starting last Saturday night, I wasn't eating anything fried/cooked. My sis and aunt told me that fried foods often uh...for the lack of better term, "incite" diarreah. So they suggested that if I ate less fried food, the diarreah would prolly go.

I followed what they said up until now. Does eating fried food help induce diarreah?

Thanks. I know I sound like a [email protected] asking these qs online but I just don't want to go to the doctor kung wala namang major na nangyayari sa katawan ko. Baka kasi napaparanoid lang ako e. :D If anything, baka ang ipa-consult ko na lang is ung situation ng sikmura ko. (Na probably, sa-suggest-an ako ng doc ko na ipa-ultrasound "just to be sure")
  • do you drink milk? coz milk can cause diarrhea in lactose-intolerant people.
  • Diarrhea may result from milk intake in lactose intolerant people, BUT it would not cause accompanying symptoms of fever and headache.

Oily foods may irritate the bowel system, hence worsening (not inducing) your diarrhea.
  • eat raw banana. and then make sure you drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration
  • eyedoc:

this is wierd. i realize i've been having on/off diarreah weekly..usually every weekends. i watch what i eat tho...

i don't feel anything wierd in my stomach anymore...but the diarreah weekly is kinda bugging me. it's been 3rd week now. every fri,i have it...WTF? any hunch?

thanks.
  • Irritable bowel syndrome? But that wouldn't explain the fever...
  • Okay *** mga home remedies like banana, apples and tea when taken with IMODIUM to speed up relief from diarrhea. This are simple, quick relief pero best pa rin to ask your doctor about your condition. Pag mild lang yung diarrhea (according to their fb page: http://bit.ly/JoM3kg), it’s still best to drink Imodium because it gently restores your digestive rhythm.