Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure

Has anyone tried Amtrak?

Mukhang maganda eto!

Pwede pang isakay ang kotse, sarap dba?

:p

Comments

• I travelled with them 2x (NYC-Washington DC and Los Angeles-San Jose-Seattle). The latter trip took 34 hours to complete and I wouldn't do it again! The trip was too long and 34 hrs in a train bore the ***** off me. The saving grace was the sights I saw, the Vanderbilt Launch Pad, Santa Barbara, San Jose, Oregon, Puget Sound etc... A SouthWest tix was way cheaper and the travel time was faster.
    Just a tip on food, BRING your own snacks, sandwiches and cup noodles. The food selection is only limited to microwaved hotdogs, pizzas, burgers, and crisps.
  • mac326mac326 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ako din 2x na. NYC - Orlando and Orlando - Los Angeles. BORING!!! Ang daming stop over ng Orlando - L.A. kaya 3 days yung trip. That's 3 days na walang ligo. yuck!
  • angstangst PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Actually I wanted to try Amtrak when I went to NYC from DC but I realized that I'd be better off taking the US Airways Shuttle. An Amtrak ticket to NYC would cost around 140 roundtrip and the travel time is around 4 hours. However, if I take the US Airways Shuttle it would only cost me 120 dollars roundtrip (hehehe thanks to the generous discount given to my client - a large telco in the US) and within one hour I am already in NYC.
  • We were supposed to try Amtrak last month for business with pleasures from LA to Portland then Seattle the following day & stay for 2 days there and back to LA but it cost more compared sa Airplane so we decided it is not worth it & to think that it would take a long time to get to the destinations.
  • Boring..wala bang movies on board, radio, TV or games?

Papaano ang sleeping accomodations?
  • Originally posted by pinay24
    We were supposed to try Amtrak last month for business with pleasures from LA to Portland then Seattle the following day & stay for 2 days there and back to LA but it cost more compared sa Airplane so we decided it is not worth it & to think that it would take a long time to get to the destinations.
    haha..thats what my relatives said when I arrived in Seattle. It costs more and the trip is longer. Though, I reckon you should try it at least 1ce, you'll see a lot of nice sceneries along the way.
  • SpartanSpartan PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I've taken the Toronto-Chicago leg about 10 times. Only once did they actually arrive on time. One time, they overbooked and I actually had to stand the Niles to K-zoo segment. Although it costs about the same in gas, the travel time was actually about 45 minutes longer-- but that's not including the time I was waiting for the train which was usally about an hour.

Despite the negative experiences I've had with Amtrak, it is an experience that I think far to many Americans have not enjoyed. I've actually given thought about taking my vacation on one the transcontinental journeys... not because i want to get to California but because of the journey.
  • snoopy.gif
    *pexadik*-- tried it once and don't have any plan to try it again, bound from Charlotte NC to Fostoria OH,it took 34 hours, I enjoy the sight ,but after a while I got bored na.I remember a few States na dinaanan (not in particular order)like Mary Land,and Wash DC,I got a glimpse of the Capitol Bldg,then PA,I forgot na yung iba.
  • there's an amtrak station close to where I used to live. I've thought about taking it but derailments has been happening more often than it should.
  • Chicago is the hub. Maybe, it's worth the try.
  • Originally posted by sonnyjjavier
    Boring..wala bang movies on board, radio, TV or games?

Papaano ang sleeping accomodations?

They have sleeping ccommodations

1.Standard-2 persons, no bathroom,no shower

2.Deluxe Bedroom-2 persons, 1 bathroom, 1 shower

3. Deluxe bedroom suite- 4-6 persons, 2 bathrooms, 2 showers(good for family )

Entertainment? Some do, some don't. They have audio/video for sleepers. And you can bring your own electronic device & use it but make sure to bring headphones with you.
  • have tried it just this may 2004, from pennsylvania to new jersey. expensive. 100$ + on round trip fare. mas mura pa mag drive. and faster too. kaya nga lang minsan no choice. also went to niagara falls from new jersey yr 2000. almost whole day ang trip. whew.
  • NY to Washington, DC safe and fast..yeah try it.
  • Originally posted by pinay24
    They have sleeping ccommodations

1.Standard-2 persons, no bathroom,no shower

2.Deluxe Bedroom-2 persons, 1 bathroom, 1 shower

3. Deluxe bedroom suite- 4-6 persons, 2 bathrooms, 2 showers(good for family )

Entertainment? Some do, some don't. They have audio/video for sleepers. And you can bring your own electronic device & use it but make sure to bring headphones with you.

TY, pinay,

Have you tried it, anyone of above? Shower pa, ha?

Worth it ba?
  • I'm going to NY from Washington DC on dec and Amtrak was one of my choices but medyo wala na ko budget and somebody suggested to take the Chinatown bus. $20 lang one way compared to $90 yta of Amtrak.
  • Originally posted by putoti
    I'm going to NY from Washington DC on dec and Amtrak was one of my choices but medyo wala na ko budget and somebody suggested to take the Chinatown bus. $20 lang one way compared to $90 yta of Amtrak.

Meron kang link? Thanks!:)
  • Originally posted by xxray
    Meron kang link? Thanks!:)

check this out...
    http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/
  • yea.... we rode it to get from San Leandro to LA... it was a short trip so it wasn't that boring for us... i guez amtraks are good for short, not long trips. it gets really boring after sitting in the train after a while...

:flwrface:
  • I took the Amtrak on my way back to L.A. coming from Irvine, Orange County. Didn't get to see much except for those canals used in shooting Terminator 2 and other movies and the stadium of the California Angels in Anaheim. At least next time, I'll know how to get to Disney. :D
  • from New York to Washington DC.... Grabe SMOOTH!!! :)