Home PEx Sports Sports Zone
Discuss your bets and predictions on who will be the next Miss Universe. 👑

Ano Racket Ninyo?

Yo, fellow tennis players, ano racket ninyo?

My rackets, in order of succession:

* ProKennex Silver Ace, 95"
* Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3, 110"
* Prince TT, 95"
* Wilson Pro Staff ROK, 95"

Comments

• i have the pro staff rok mid plus...the one federer first used...im kinda partial to it since im only an intermediate player...im contemplating in purchasing the prince diablo since it gives superb power and control...otherwise the head s3 will do...how will i know which racket will surely work best for me ...say mo ?
  • Well, I guess it depends on your type of game. Plus, how the racket fits your game. Allow me to elaborate on my racket history:

* ProKennex Silver Ace mid - this is a hand-me-down, so I really had no choice on this racket. As I improved on my tennis, I decided to get

* Wilson Hyper Hammer oversized - I got this mainly because this was the hottest model at that time. I did not like it that much because I hit hard and the oversized racket head gave more power - in fact my balls, more often than not, went long. I got used to the ProKennex where I had to generate my own power. Thus, I moved on to

* Prince TT mid - I liked this one since it required me to generate more power to hit the ball back, compared to the Hammer where all I had to do was let the ball bounce off the racket. It suited me fine until I discovered

* Wilson Pro Staff ROK mid - this racket I love because aside from allowing me to generate my own power to hit the ball back, it is slightly lighter than the Prince (which after a set, began to feel heavier). So, this has been my racket since then.

So what I am trying to say is, choose the racket based on your type of play.

If you wish, you can visit the Wilson Tennis site, where you are given a selection of rackets to choose from after answering some basic questions about yout game. Then you can select similar rackets from other brands.

Cheers!
  • Prince Benetton! Luma na!
  • hirap kasi dito sa pinas hindi pwede mag try ng racket before you purchase. Sa US may mga trial rackets yung mga tennis shops na pwede nilang iparent for you to get a feel of the racket. Dapat dito ganon din :)

to answer the question, Prince Original Graphite mid gamit ko ngayon. Dati Volkl Tour 10 at Babolat Pure Drive+ :)
  • Prince Original Graphite...ProKennex :)
  • me im using prince TT hornet midplus...ayos!
  • From eigna123:

" The "mahal" I was talking about are the "high-end" type racquets.. yung mga worth 8K+. For example, yung Babolat Pure Drive, I know it ranges from 8-9K here pero when I bought mine in the US, lumalabas mga 5K+ lang. Generally, mura talaga dun. Check the following sites:
    www. tenniswarehouse.com
    www.stringsbyharry.com

yung una, mga brand new while the second has 2nd hand rackets. I've bought from those 2 so maasahan

Good luck sa tennis career mo!!! Wag maubos ang pasensya kasi medyo mas mahirap matuto compared to badminton (from experience lang ha.. might not be true for all)."

From red_god216:

"Usually the 1k priced rackets were heavy. the throat part of the racket hndi fused. kaya heavy sya. the expensive ones usually use for competitive level. basta...mas maganda ang feeling pag un ang gamit mo...btw, string kind and tension affects the strokes so consider using the synthetic gut.

ok nman ang tennis...its hard at first...parang baseball laro mo, pataas lahat ng bola....hehehe u need lots of patience... cguro ok nman na ung racket mo. start ka p lng naman. eventually u'll learn wat type of racket na bagay sayo...nagstart nga ko wrong grip ang racket ko...too big then sobrang heavy e..."

Thanks again guys. :) Maybe I should have really waited for suggestions before getting one. I used mine (Prince Force 3 Catalyst TI) for the first time and I don't know if it's too light or the grip is too small so I was kinda dismayed with my buy hehe Anyway, you're right, if I do want to get serious with tennis, then I know what to get next time. :) It's actually fun looking for rackets over the 'net. Madadami na din ako nalalaman sa tennis along with the playes using some of them. (I didn't even know there was a brand Babolat!) I've asked around, too and they also discouraged me to buy the 1k ones. The next time I went back at the store, I could tell why. :D

Yup, I don't want to give up easily on this, so far I'm enjoying myself :) And you're right about the baseball tira hehe Minsan naman I easily get distracted so instead of looking at the ball, I look at the ballboy :p
  • strangelilgirl: ok lng yan...bakit nman sa ballboy ka nadidistract? lol enjoy tlaga tennis esp pag magaling ka na...btw, ano ba use mo? midplus or oversize? iba din kasi purpose nila e.

i personally like babolat racket...un ang pangarap ko na racket e. ewan ko b bakit prince TT hornet binili ko...i bought it w/ my mom ayun may kasama tuloy ako na konsensya....like ko babolat na mas mahal sa prince....she convinced me to buy the cheaper one...arrgh! TT hornet was fine nman...
  • racket ko bumibili ako ng pekeng DVD sa quiapo tas binebenta ko sa skul...ehe...maling racket pala yon...

sorry wrong thread.
  • red_god216 - I have to agree that Babolat does feel nice. I got to try the Pure Drive racket and it is solid. But the Hornet is also a nice racket. I was looking for a racket to replace mine and the Hornet was one of my top three choices. But I couldn't find 2 of the same kind. I had Toby's look through all their shops to have the same racket specs but they couldn't find any.

strangelilgirl - just try to stick with it. I am sure you will enjoy playing it. For the racket, it would be better to learn on a heavy racket than go for the super light rackets at once. At least you get to develop the muscles in your arms as you start with the heavy racket. I am sure that you will be changing your racket to the better ones soon. BTW, if you will be looking for a nice light racket in the near future, try the new Prince rackets. At least they have demo rackets at Toby's that you can try out first before buying.

BTW, my racket of choice would be the Prince Michael Chang Longbody racket, oversize. A little on the heavy side but I really like the feel of a racket with a torsion bar on the throat.
  • Originally posted by red_god216
    strangelilgirl: ok lng yan...bakit nman sa ballboy ka nadidistract? lol enjoy tlaga tennis esp pag magaling ka na...btw, ano ba use mo? midplus or oversize? iba din kasi purpose nila e.

i personally like babolat racket...un ang pangarap ko na racket e. ewan ko b bakit prince TT hornet binili ko...i bought it w/ my mom ayun may kasama tuloy ako na konsensya....like ko babolat na mas mahal sa prince....she convinced me to buy the cheaper one...arrgh! TT hornet was fine nman...

Mine's OS. Ano ba "advantage" ng Midplus? Yong ballboy kasi, kahit titira or nakatira ka na palakad-lakad pa rin sa court kaya takot ako matamaan sya. :p

Ok, I'll be saving up for a Babolat. Mukha ngang masarap gamitin. :) Next time you buy, go by yourself hehe
  • Originally posted by chinesesmiley
    red_god216 - I have to agree that Babolat does feel nice. I got to try the Pure Drive racket and it is solid. But the Hornet is also a nice racket. I was looking for a racket to replace mine and the Hornet was one of my top three choices. But I couldn't find 2 of the same kind. I had Toby's look through all their shops to have the same racket specs but they couldn't find any.

strangelilgirl - just try to stick with it. I am sure you will enjoy playing it. For the racket, it would be better to learn on a heavy racket than go for the super light rackets at once. At least you get to develop the muscles in your arms as you start with the heavy racket. I am sure that you will be changing your racket to the better ones soon. BTW, if you will be looking for a nice light racket in the near future, try the new Prince rackets. At least they have demo rackets at Toby's that you can try out first before buying.

BTW, my racket of choice would be the Prince Michael Chang Longbody racket, oversize. A little on the heavy side but I really like the feel of a racket with a torsion bar on the throat.

Oh there's even a Hornet! :)

At first we were just renting racquets because we're not sure yet if we'll actually enjoy the lessons. They gave us not so light ones (Prince) and I liked how I was able to control hitting the ball. When I used the one I bought, I noticed that it was too light and somehow affected my grip and consequently, I couldn't hit the ball right. Anyway, I didn't know Toby have demo rackets. :p

By the way, what's the difference between Power and Control?

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Sikat lang Babolat dahil yan ginagamit ni Roddick!
    By the way, what's the difference between Power and Control?
    It has to do with the tightness of your gut. If your gut is loose, the ball is bouncy and if you hit it, goes a long way. Kaya lang wala kang control sa bola. Kung tight naman ang gut, you can control the ball much better, kaya lang, walang power ang mga palo mo. You have to swing wider to generate power.

Ganoon ba yun? :D
  • Originally posted by elyserva
    Sikat lang Babolat dahil yan ginagamit ni Roddick!
    It has to do with the tightness of your gut. If your gut is loose, the ball is bouncy and if you hit it, goes a long way. Kaya lang wala kang control sa bola. Kung tight naman ang gut, you can control the ball much better, kaya lang, walang power ang mga palo mo. You have to swing wider to generate power.

koreks!! eksakto! :) pag loose kasi ang tension, parang "trampoline" ang effect..

tama ka about the comment on Babolat.. sikat nga sya dahil gamit sya ni Roddick.. pero maganda din naman sya. I had 2 before pero binenta ko na yung isa. I'll keep the other one as a collection.. hehehe.. For those interested sa Babolat, I suggest you buy in Singapore kung makakapunta kayo dun or may kilala kayo. Sa US, ang presyo ata ngayon is around $180 so halos same price dito which is 8K pesos. Sa singapore, alam ko mga 190 sing dollar... so that's around 5+K pesos.. malalaki laki din yung savings di ba? :)
  • Originally posted by strangelilgirl
    Mine's OS. Ano ba "advantage" ng Midplus? Yong ballboy kasi, kahit titira or nakatira ka na palakad-lakad pa rin sa court kaya takot ako matamaan sya. :p

Ok, I'll be saving up for a Babolat. Mukha ngang masarap gamitin. :) Next time you buy, go by yourself hehe

di ko sure ha but midplus ata is for control but you have to generate more power. OS nman is for power but less ung control dahil nga big ung head nya.

it's up to you ksi kung ano mas kaya mo e...kung malakas ka nmn tumira ok ang midplus, control na lng sa racket need mo. pero sa totoo lng wala nman tlga sa racket yan. nsa strokes mo yan. 10%-20% lng contribute ng racket sa laro mo but the rest sa player na un. Yung grip size mo dapat fit tlga syo kasi mahirap magvolley pag malaki grip, ngsislip sa hands mo ung racket...pangit din sobrang light yung racket kasi ung vibration ng racket napupunta sa arms mo..masama un...better lagyan mo dampener racket mo para less vibration.

pure drive is lighter than pure control...cguro pure drive is for power and pure control is for control...obvious nman ata sa name nya...di ko alam hehehehe tignan mo na lng ung specs nya para malaman mo ung difference...

ok nman ung HORNET saka mas mura tlga sya sa babolat. P6200 na lng sya sa toby's e.
  • I have an old oversized (not that much) Prince Benetton (Vortex), luma na. I just had the gut tighter to get more control. I tried at around 60lbs tension but I didn't like it. So I cut it and replaced the gut with a 62lbs tension.

Re rackets, it's got something to do with being used to it. I have a friend who is using a racket named BMW!? I know, I've never heard of it too! He said he bought it back there in Manila for 1K. But this guy is beating the hell out of us. Well, this guy is what we call here as a member of "PTA". You know, "Parents, Teachers Association". Parents as in magulang (sobra!) :D Teacher as in he'll give you a lesson you'll never forget!:D He once beat (as in bugbog) another friend who thought he was a beginner!
  • click on this site para malaman ninyo ang real deal tungkol sa mga raketa at gut:

http://hometown.aol.com/hypertennis/page4.htm

very informative siya lalo na sa mga tennis addicts.
  • Originally posted by elyserva
    Sikat lang Babolat dahil yan ginagamit ni Roddick!

Ganon ba? :D I caught the awarding last night at the Thailand Open over at Star Sports and he's second to Roger Federer who's incidentally is using Wilson naman (you all know that already). Ironic, but not many here's suggesting Wilson. :)

Ok, I need to get more used to these terms as I play along. Thanks for the info. :)
  • Originally posted by red_god216
    di ko sure ha but midplus ata is for control but you have to generate more power. OS nman is for power but less ung control dahil nga big ung head nya.

it's up to you ksi kung ano mas kaya mo e...kung malakas ka nmn tumira ok ang midplus, control na lng sa racket need mo. pero sa totoo lng wala nman tlga sa racket yan. nsa strokes mo yan. 10%-20% lng contribute ng racket sa laro mo but the rest sa player na un. Yung grip size mo dapat fit tlga syo kasi mahirap magvolley pag malaki grip, ngsislip sa hands mo ung racket...pangit din sobrang light yung racket kasi ung vibration ng racket napupunta sa arms mo..masama un...better lagyan mo dampener racket mo para less vibration.

pure drive is lighter than pure control...cguro pure drive is for power and pure control is for control...obvious nman ata sa name nya...di ko alam hehehehe tignan mo na lng ung specs nya para malaman mo ung difference...

ok nman ung HORNET saka mas mura tlga sya sa babolat. P6200 na lng sya sa toby's e.

Ok, I'm trying to grasp all these information. :) Though I have this puzzled look on my face LOL But somehow, most of the terms you mentioned are slowly making sense. I'll ask our teacher about them as we move along with our lessons. Apparently, the point is it all boils down on how good one plays. So I better practice really hard. Thanks again for the patience :D
  • Oversized rackets are usually strung at higher tension than standard faced rackets. Because at same tension, the oversized rackets will be too bouncy or, as eigna123 pointed out, trampoline effect.

Rackets used by the pros are strung to their specifications and may not suit you even if it's the same model. Depends on their preferences. e.g. Pete Sampras use undersized rackets (90~96sqins) but strung at a very high 75lbs. The account for a lot of his rackets getting broken strings. There are even pros who goes as high as 80lbs.