Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Blade Runner - The Best Sci-fi film!

coZeecoZee PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
What do you guys think?

LONDON, England (AP) -- A British newspaper survey of top scientists has chosen "Blade Runner" as the world's best sci-fi film.

Sixty scientists were questioned, including evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker, The Guardian newspaper said Wednesday.

In the 1982 film, a retired policeman played by Harrison Ford hunts down renegade human replicates in a dark futuristic vision of Los Angeles.

"It was so far ahead of its time and the whole premise of the story -- what is it to be human and who are we, where we come from. It's the age-old questions," said Stephen Minger, a stem cell biologist at King's College, London.

Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" came in a close second, followed by George Lucas' "Star Wars" and "Star Wars Episode V -- The Empire Strikes Back."

The list also includes "Alien," the original "Solaris" (1972), "The Terminator," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," "The Day the Earth Stood Still," "War of the Worlds," "The Matrix" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Comments

• DunedainDunedain NINJAneer gone Indie! PEx Expert 🎖️
    Was it ever mentioned this movie came from the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? Two things I like about this movie were the lines: "Have you ever retired a human by mistake?" and "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shores of Orion. I've watched seabeams glitter in the dark (something, couldn't understand this part). All those moments will be lost in time... ...like tears in the rain. Time to die."

Trivia: At some point of the movie every replicant has a red brightness in their eyes (Rachel in Deckard's home, Pris in Sebastian's). Deckard also has the shining in his eyes while talking to Rachel in his house.

So the ultimate question is: Is Deckard a replicant as well?
  • coZeecoZee PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    So the ultimate question is: Is Deckard a replicant as well?

YES! (according to the Director Ridley Scott)
  • When and where did this article come out? Blade Runner is my favorite movie. I got the chance to see the Director's Cut on the big screen and man it was awesome. Ridley Scott has said that Deckard is a replicant. I read the Blade Runner "sequels" but for the life of me I can't recall whether they settled that issue or not.
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Blade Runner" is also one of my favorite movies of all time! Even by today's standards, more than 20 years after it was originally released, it still stands up as a fresh and completely visionary work of cinematic art. Ridley Scott is quite possibly one of the best directors of our time.
  • most definitely the best of its class.
  • Originally posted by quarkstorm
    When and where did this article come out? Blade Runner is my favorite movie. I got the chance to see the Director's Cut on the big screen and man it was awesome. Ridley Scott has said that Deckard is a replicant. I read the Blade Runner "sequels" but for the life of me I can't recall whether they settled that issue or not.

Wasn't this issue settled in the director's cut?
  • Originally posted by Lucius
    Wasn't this issue settled in the director's cut?

Yes.
  • cybernautcybernaut PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i dont know if this is the best pero it certainly is one of the top 5 best sci-fi films of all time

star wars a new hope
    srat wars empire...
    metropolis
    blade runner
    matrix (or alien)

i love this movie! the production design is the best.
  • paenggoypaenggoy PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "5 stunning behind-the-scenes Polaroids from the Blade Runner set"

http://blastr.com/2011/05/5-behind-the-scenes-polar.php
  • bigmcdobigmcdo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    has anybody seen the original version of blade runner with the humphrey bogart style narration na akala mong film noir set in the 21st century?
    I did in the movies and on LD. I think Criterion has that version on DVD.
  • Blade Runner certainly among the best sci-fi ever but I think 2001 is the absolute best.

labels=0.jpglabels=0.jpg3nhw3w9wekq.png18g97q50.png
  • Which version? :P
  • nozmailnozmail PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i have this movie in my hard drive since who knows when. glad i finally watched it.
  • bigmcdobigmcdo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Which version? :P

i like the original. it has a noir feel. ford is bogart. the place is always raining and full of shadows at night.