Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

Oprah!

annieliseannielise PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
Anything and everything about the Queen of Talk and her show.

I immensely enjoy her show. I like the episodes during the holiday season where she showcases her favorite things (thus the title of the episode is "Oprah's Favorite Things"), and she gives all the people in her live audience all those stuff. Imagine last Christmas she gave all the people in the studio laptops! Then she gave them the nicest and softest bathrobe ever, some great chocolates, body scrubs and thingamajigs from Bath and Body Works, and much more.

I also liked that episode where she went shopping at Costco (the bargain haven in the US). Imagine Oprah going bargain-hunting when she's worth 1 Billion dollars! :D Then she paid in check and they had to review her check if she had enough funds in her account (standard procedure) and they were all laughing coz Oprah said it's been a while since she had her check reviewed!

What were some of your favorite episodes? Anything about her just post here.

Comments

• I wouldn't say I follow the show religiously but I do check it regularly to see what the topic is and if it's good, I watch.

It's interesting to see how American culture is different from ours. There was one show, I remember it distinctly, where they were talking about motherhood, how some moms revealed that it wasn't a walk in the park and that oftentimes, it was frustrating and difficult. It became a heated discussion because well, everyone has this notion that motherhood is a breeze and no one really has the right to complain yadda yadda yadda. It just hit me that unlike here where we have a support system (doting lolo's, lola's, tito's and tita's who don't mind babysitting), there child-rearing is so different. Anyway, it was a real eye-opener for me.

I like the shows where Nate the interior designer does room makeovers. I also loved the show where 2 British women who have a show on BBC ambushed badly-dressed women in the malls and gave them a new look.

What I don't like is Dr. Phil. I can't stand the way he dishes out advice and expects everything to be fixed by the end of the show. Duh.
  • I really like watching Oprah (except if Dr. Phil is around, i switch channels).

I like the epi (recurrent) of My Favorite Things! Grabe, i wish i was in the audience.

tapos when they tackle like abuse stories of women and especially children, it made my heart melt.
  • i like her..she's very generous..i like her show a lot especially pag may make-overs, house renovations...
  • uhm, libre ba un pag may mga make overs?
  • yup, ang alam ko libre pag me make overs...ganun yata talaga ka powerful si Oprah...

remember one time yung weight loss story na yung guy grabe talaga as 200 pounds yata ang ni lose nyang weight...he was given a car (porsche if i am not mistaken) by oprah!

teka, sino nga ba yung guy na laging hina hire ni oprah kapag me renovation ang house or room? cute nya as in sobra ko syang crush! :D
  • i watch Oprah..and yes i also wonder kung libre ba yung mga makeovers..hehe
  • Nate Berkus is Oprah's favorite decorator! pero galing naman ni Nate eh :handsdown:

Kainis lang sa Star may mag eps silang hindi naipapalabas. dati nasusunod pa nila yung episode list, tapos nawala na. Ewan ko pero medyo asar din na ginawan pa nila ng Oprah Prime Time tuwing Sunday night, the 1st ep was the Bill Clinton interview. bakit kailangan pang ihiwalay mga show na ito? (paano kasi sundays are usually good movie nights)

I also prefer watching makeover eps. Trinny and Susannah, the What Not to Wear Girls, are good, they prove you don't need plastic surgery to look good -- just change your wardrobe! my fave makeover they did was that "Bon Jovi" woman with the big hair and sweaters and acid-washed jeans... then she comes out in these better-fitting clothes and short hair and Oprah jokingly asks who she was :D

my other fave makeover show was the Age-Defying makeovers. that rock & roll couple!!! great makeover talaga.

hey i remember that guy that Oprah gave a porsche to. sabi niya kasi dream niya to ride a get behind the wheels of a porsche when he loses the weight. so he does and oprah makes him sit behind the wheel...pero super sandali lang! hindi pa yata nakakasayad yung upo niya eh pinatayo na uli siya... pero surprise! sa kanya na pala yun.

Oprah gives a lot to other ppl, so no wonder she also receives a lot in turn.

what about her 50th birthday celebrations? galeng no? :)
  • favorite ko yung mga makeovers niya! and of course, NATE! and i luv it everytime they would surprise their guests or audience members! i luv that xmas episode!

LUV OPRAH! luv her! :beauty:
  • ako rin fan ni Oprah... swerte nga kasi latest eps pinapalabas dito (AFN Channel)...
  • nakaka-inspire yung show.
  • I enjoy watching Oprah. It's such a fun show. I just read that Oprah signed a new contract which extends her show up to 2011. It's nice that Oprah is over her-change-your-life-tv phase. That phase was boring.
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    I guess the makeovers are free what with all the media mileage the clothing stores and salons get.

I loved Oprah's 50th birthday celebration eppy. Lavish is the only way to describe the parties thrown on her behalf. The highlight for me was when Josh Groban sang for her. :D

Also felt sad when I read in the newspaper that Mattie Stepanek, a regular on Oprah who suffered muscular dystrophy, died recently at the age of 13.
  • i would like to be on Oprah's show when she gives out her favorite things!!!!

last christmas she gave away $1.5M worth of gifts per studio audience.

minsan namigay pa ng TiVo sa lahat ng audience si Oprah galing talaga!
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I actually think it was a good idea for StarWorld to have Oprah Primetime. That way, working people won't have to miss the special Oprah episodes.

When she gives away all those "gifts", is it the show which pays for those? Methinks those are giveaways from the companies themselves to promote their products. Of course, with all the corporations lining up on Oprah's door for her seal of approval, I'm sure Oprah sees to it that the products she gives away are top-notch.

I hope Oprah isn't another closet Martha Stewart.
  • Originally posted by anghel
    remember one time yung weight loss story na yung guy grabe talaga as 200 pounds yata ang ni lose nyang weight...he was given a car (porsche if i am not mistaken) by oprah!

that guy was nearing 500 pounds and he lost 300 pounds in a year! parang a pound a day ang nababawas sa kanya!:D
  • threadstarter..we got the same faves..oprah's favorite things eppy tops my list..next are that of bargain shopping and that am idol-like search..

sobrang late na kasi oprah e..kaya ako din di sobrang nakakanood..

rundown naman parati ng weeklong episodes..para naman di makalampas ang magagandang topics satin..hehe
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Originally posted by neth_row
    When she gives away all those "gifts", is it the show which pays for those? Methinks those are giveaways from the companies themselves to promote their products. Of course, with all the corporations lining up on Oprah's door for her seal of approval, I'm sure Oprah sees to it that the products she gives away are top-notch.
    All of the products are donated by the companies who make them. I remember Oprah saying that they only give away products which the companies are willing to provide for free. If they have a "favorite thing" but the manufacturer doesn't want to give it away gratis, then they don't include it in the list.
  • puro replay oprah sa star world ngayon! :shrug2:

lalo naman yung sa studio 23! :down:

ang tagal nang walang bagong episode!

yung latest book club selection ni oprah yung ANNA KARENINA! grabe sobrang haba nun! pinabasa sa amin yun nung high school, di ko kinaya... napa-cliff notes lang tuloy ako! :glee:
  • new season will start on monday... i wonder what the big surprise is all about... have any idea?
  • new season in the US, or new season in Star World? if it's the latter...then no wonder puro replays. then again, nagre-replay naman talaga Oprah eh, i check the skeds if Star follows the actual Oprah sked. yay, new Oprah!