FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Mormons

who are mormons here? two american mormons viisted us the other day... they talk about their religion and so forth.. they seem kinda nice and they speak our dialect unlike other religions whom they really force you to believe that theirs is teh best.. anyways.. what can you say about them.. ano ba hindi pwede sa kanila? nag iinternet din ba cla.. i really want to know more bout them..

Comments

• riAbabyriAbaby Ya need heals? ✭✭
    hmm..dati lagi may nagpupunta sa amin na mga missionaries ng mormons (their church is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). i used to talk to them about their religion and ask questions din. madami na ding pinoy na members sila. magaling sila mag-tagalog and usually 2years ang tinatagal ng mga missionaries sa pinas then babalik na sila sa Utah. if merong bible study, kelangan hindi lang puro babae ang kaharap nila. dapat meron kahit isang lalaki. saka hindi sila sumasabay sa paglalakad sa mga babae na tinuturuan nila. hindi din sila pede magkagusto while on mission. ang prophet nila eh si joseph smith and meron din silang parang version ng bible na hindi daw ata na-include sa bible natin (or something like that). mababait sila and masisipag dahil talagang bibisitahin ka nila sa bahay. yung mga pinsan ko ngayon yun na religion nila.
  • mynamemyname Member ✭✭
    bump
  • all i can say is ang daming gwapong mormons!!! yung mga teenagers na mormons ah! :D
  • milkman1907milkman1907 Member PExer
    r there gay mormons? is it okay if there gay>/? sumasabay din ba cla lumabasmalling, mag nightout etc? pwede din ba cla gumamit internet? paano ba magpaconvert.. if htey visit us once will htey visit over and over again?
  • gastrixiagastrixia Surf's Up! PExer
    toxic_butterfly: :lol: yeap, i've seen them around the subway station ... gorgeous .. always in their white collared shirts and black ties :glee:

However, they seem to be scared of me, one guy came over and he could barely talk in straight sentences, i guess i looked too frightening for him :glee:
  • waxywaxy Neurotic PExer
    hahahaha :glee: i agree, some of the mormons are really cute! kaso sayang... i think they're not allowed to get married :D
  • pinay24pinay24 Member PExer
    I know one thing in their religion - they get to marry more than one person as long as they can afford to supports spouses.
  • karagözlerkaragözler off the deep end PExer
    does that go for both girls and guys, or just the guys? :D if it's true for both, i might consider converting!
  • pinay24pinay24 Member PExer
    I never heard about the females having more than one husband most cases happens in males having many wives. There was actually a case I saw in TV few months ago were one male was married to 3 women & leave together in one house.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_poly.htm
  • losavlosav Member PExer
    it's a thread a year ago.. let's revive it...
    Mormons or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has a very entertaining book. It's like a novel, almost like the famous Lord of the Rings... just read it but dont get to serious about it. And their missionaries, well, i dont think they look handsome. They are just very ordinary faces in the US and dont think they are the MAers, or PhD, mostly are drop outs and they were offered with much dollars...
  • xtrbzxtrbz Member PExer
    their founder had several wives.Don't get carried away w/ "kabaitan". It's not the basis of true religion.
    xtrbz wrote:
    their founder had several wives.Don't get carried away w/ "kabaitan". It's not the basis of true religion.

You said it EXACTLY!! :naughty:
  • AregonAregon Ethereal Being PExer
    losav wrote:
    Mormons or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has a very entertaining book. It's like a novel, almost like the famous Lord of the Rings... just read it but dont get to serious about it. And their missionaries, well, i dont think they look handsome. They are just very ordinary faces in the US and dont think they are the MAers, or PhD, mostly are drop outs and they were offered with much dollars...

In terms of looks Mormons in general are no different from other people. But I dont think they employ ugly mormons as missionaries, just the good looking ones or at least average looking.

Mormons practically control one american state. They are wealthy and well educated.

Their holy book, the Book of Mormons, is no more or no less divinely inspired than the corrupted bible or the fabricated Koran.
  • lady`stalkedlady`stalked traveler PExer
    interesting opinions....

:)
  • salermosalermo Lion ✭✭✭
    all i can say is ang daming gwapong mormons!!! yung mga teenagers na mormons ah! :D

Classic pinoy trait?:lol:
  • sayangnalangsayangnalang Member PExer
    i am a latter-day saint (a.k.a. mormons).

i have read through this thread, and i am saddened to read that some of the postings here are unenlightened.

i will be glad to answer some of your questions, if you are serious in receiving one.
  • RauzaelRauzael Banned by Admin PExer
    hi sayangnalang,

I have a couple of questions:

1. do you believe in heaven, hell & the afterlife? if so then how can people be saved?

2. are females allowed to have multiple husbands?

3. what is the mormon's religious & political stand regarding black africans? should they enjoy equal rights & opportunities? are they more tainted by evil?
  • sayangnalangsayangnalang Member PExer
    Rauzael wrote:
    hi sayangnalang,

I have a couple of questions:

1. do you believe in heaven, hell & the afterlife? if so then how can people be saved?

2. are females allowed to have multiple husbands?

3. what is the mormon's religious & political stand regarding black africans? should they enjoy equal rights & opportunities? are they more tainted by evil?

hi, rauzael, i'm happy to hear from you. regarding your questions:

1. yes, we do believe in an afterlife, as we believe in a primordial existence. pre-existence is where all spirits dwell before coming here on earth to gain mortal existence, because you need a mortal vessel (body) to become resurrected.

resurrection is a gift from God, physical death being conquered by Jesus Christ on the cross. salvation, on the other hand, is a personal endeavor accomplished through faith and belief.

heaven, or hell, is a concept that presupposes reward, or punishment, for the deeds we have done while here in our mortal existence. we believe in the same concept, only with different terminologies.

2. we do believe in living apostles and prophets who receive modern-day revelations. in the early history of the church, the doctrine of having several wives was revealed to joseph smith. however, because of violent reactions from society, the practice was later on done away with. only male members of the church were then allowed to practice this polygyny.

3. black african members enjoy the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities as that of any other member of good standing in the church. the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints do not practice segregation, exclusion, or discrimination.

erring members, on the other hand, have a venue with which to present their sides, where due process is being observed.

as additional information regarding missionaries, we do classify missionaries into several categories. these are the following:

full-time

1. proselyting missionaries - these are the young men in their white shirts and necktie that you see around. their ages range from 18 to 22, and they go around having been given the responsibility of preaching the gospel. they do not receive salaries or allowances in doing this for two years. these young men (and some women too) are encouraged in their youth to save in preparation for their mission. in other words, they support themselves while on their mission.

for others who have no, or not enough, financial support, but are worthy to go on missions, some members provide financial assistance either directly sent to the missionary, or through a missionary fund administered by the church authorities.

2. temple missionaries - these members are couples whose children are already grown-up, with families of their own, and are already retired. they serve in temples, doing temple work. they,too, do not receive remuneration for doing this for two years.

part-time

1. ward missionaries - these are members of a particular ward or branch (this is what we call the smallest grouping of members in our church organization), who are set apart (or given the responsibility by the ward bishop or branch president) to do part-time missionary work, as their schedules in school or work allow. they do not receive remuneration for doing this missionary work, and their service is not limited to two years.

2. member missionaries - we do not receive payment, remuneration, or allowances for the spiritual services that we do for our members and non-members alike. we do it in the service of God and our fellowmen, as we are being commanded by the Lord.

however, there are some members of the church that receive salaries and/or allowances. these are those members who do secular work in the church as a means to earn a livelihood, just like doing a regular occupation.

thank you for the opportunity you gave me in sharing with you what we believe in, and i hope i have been helpful.
  • MordecaiMordecai Mordecai PExer
    2. we do believe in living apostles and prophets who receive modern-day revelations. in the early history of the church, the doctrine of having several wives was revealed to joseph smith. however, because of violent reactions from society, the practice was later on done away with. only male members of the church were then allowed to practice this polygyny.

Fascinating. If polygyny was revealed to Joseph Smith (presumably by God), then why would it need to be done away with just because of "violent reactions"? Did God make a mistake?

If I recall correctly the early Christians too experienced "violent reactions" for preaching the gospel of Jesus, all of the apostles (save one) and many Christians were persecuted and martyred for their faith. Yet their consistent response to such violent reaction was "we must obey God rather than man".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file