Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

MT.Makulot

any pics and any infos???

Comments

• easy mountain if you're physically fit. physically fit if you are able to jog non-stop for an hour or so. the campsite at the shoulder should be reached in about an hour and a half, maybe even faster.

tough naman for non-mountaineers kasi steep sya at mga 80% assault.

not really a pristine place, daming tao usually on weekends. lots of insects, siguro kasi there's plenty of trash up there.

nice to go to the rockies once you are there.

suggestion: why not go to gulugod baboy? its a far better mountain to climb...mga ka level or even easier pa than maculot...
  • Our mountaineer friend took us all beer-bellied couch potatoes to Makulot for our very first mountain climb years ago. We parked the car at the munisipyo (?) of Cuenca and walked up. As far as I can remember, it was mostly a walk up, not a climb up -- no special equipment or skill needed, just the stamina. These are all I remember:

- We took 4 hours to go up, 2 hours to go down, probably because of all the pictures and yosi breaks we had along the way (relax nature freaks, we took the butts with us and did not just flick it off the mountainside).

- The most important thing to bring is not food, not a compass, not cigarettes, but WATER. Cigarettes was next.

- When you reach the top, there is no shade. You bake like a raisin in the sun. You eat your lunch in the noonday heat and have no choice but to drink water like a fish (if you brought enough).

- Our mountaineer friend wore the most sensible clothes. Pants of light material, sturdy tsinelas, and long-sleeved camiso tsino. Protected him from the sharp talahib and the sharp rays of the sun, and the flipflops gave his mountaineer feet better grip of the ground unike the Nikes and topsiders we all wore.

- While walking to the top, you never really get the feeling of being at risk of anything, except maybe of snake bites or getting lost. When you get to the top though, an adventure rush is provided by a walk to the Rockies. I wont spoil the fun. Better for you to discover it for yourself than for me to describe it here.

- The view from the top is fantastic. You can see two specks of the Tagaytay radars (is it still there?) on the opposite ridge across the lake. There are boats the size of ants a thousand feet below, which by the way is a sheer drop. Plus, there's this thing in the middle of the lake like a mound of rock or something with water inside -- which you view from a new perspective for the first time. Made the whole tortuous trip worth it all. Plus, the hangover you had when you started the climb will be totally gone, faster than you can say "Wow!".
  • so madami bang ahas hehehe?? takot ako e.........., may lake daw dun na maganda at pedeng mag swim tama ba? may mga pics ba kayo post niyo naman para mapilit ako ng mga barkada ko thanks...
  • naakyat ko nato. di ko kinaya. eto daw ang pinaka madaling akyatin. for beginners baga. hay naku di ako phys fit. kaya nung pababa na, gumuong na lang ako lol
  • naakyat ko na to noong 1998. maganda. not a bad hike.
  • been there 2002 i think....overnight lng.....we started almost 6pm na....tapos bumaba rin kme kinabukasan ng 8am....kaya ok kc syempre di ako nainitan....for me, mas madali umakyat kesa pababa....ok nmn...masaya pagdating mo sa taas kc dami tao...parang tent village....kaya lng since medyo gabi na nga kme umakyat, medyo nahirapan na kme maghanap ng pagtatayuan ng tent....pero ok tlg kc madami ka makikilala new friends...hehe....
  • Buhay pa ba ang Makati Mountaineers' Club? :)
  • di ganun kadami.. minimal lang. expected naman sa lugar na yun kasi dami lungga.. oks dun esp sa grotto. a must for every first timer :D
  • been there last 2001. napagod ako sobra--and to think "kiddie climb" daw un. swear. nde na talaga ako uulet. im more into 'depths' and not into 'heights' :)
  • Maculot is a good example of how being so close to Manila and being so easy to climb can endanger a mountain. The sad thing is, there are so many hiking areas in the Rizal-Laguna-Batangas-Quezon area that have suffered the same fate.

If you're a going up a mountain for the 1st time, please DON'T CLIMB MACULOT. The number of people who trek up that mountain have far surpassed its carrying capacity. By climbing up Maculot, you only contribute to the damage being done to it. Besides, if it's a wilderness experience you're after, you're not going to get it in Maculot. Sa dami ng taong umaakyat doon, para ka ring hindi umalis ng Manila. If you just want to take in a good view from a high vantage point, just drive up to Tagaytay. Menos pagod pa.

For those of you who already climb, please practice minimum impact techniques. Stick to established trails, don't deface rocks, trees and other natural surfaces, and pack out all the stuff that you brought up. If we don't take care of the places we climb in, we won't get to enjoy them in the future.

Bottom line, give Maculot a rest. And while you're at it, give these other "abused" mountains a break too:

Pico De Loro
    Mataas Na Bundok (Manabu)
    Famy
  • Originally posted by nowhereman
    Maculot is a good example of how being so close to Manila and being so easy to climb can endanger a mountain. The sad thing is, there are so many hiking areas in the Rizal-Laguna-Batangas-Quezon area that have suffered the same fate.

If you're a going up a mountain for the 1st time, please DON'T CLIMB MACULOT. The number of people who trek up that mountain have far surpassed its carrying capacity. By climbing up Maculot, you only contribute to the damage being done to it. Besides, if it's a wilderness experience you're after, you're not going to get it in Maculot. Sa dami ng taong umaakyat doon, para ka ring hindi umalis ng Manila. If you just want to take in a good view from a high vantage point, just drive up to Tagaytay. Menos pagod pa.

For those of you who already climb, please practice minimum impact techniques. Stick to established trails, don't deface rocks, trees and other natural surfaces, and pack out all the stuff that you brought up. If we don't take care of the places we climb in, we won't get to enjoy them in the future.

Bottom line, give Maculot a rest. And while you're at it, give these other "abused" mountains a break too:

Pico De Loro
    Mataas Na Bundok (Manabu)
    Famy

easy lang dude............baka atakehin ka..............getz ko, pero nagtatanong lang po ako........
  • di pa ba sinasara yang Makulot? last time i went there, 1996 pa, and sabi, by end of 96, isasara muna to climbers para sa reforestation.

tsk tsk tsk, abused na masyado yang bundok na yan...isama mo na pati Famy, dapat lang isara na yan for a long period of time para maka-recover.

nga pala, alam nyo ba yung kwento ni Magdalena ba yun, climber na nakitang patay sa ravine papuntang Rockies? tagal na yang wento na yan and sabi, nagmumulto daw. urban legend lang ba to?
  • I do believe that we should give some of our nearby peaks (or any other peaks) time to heal. But i also believe that these places are for everybody. It's just a matter of discipline and respect for the place if ever you intend to visit. By all means, let's all visit Mt. Maculot and be proud of its beauty. Sana lang we do not desecrate the place. Bring your trash down. Put it in proper place. Disciplina lang talaga ang kailangan. If you don't have that, don't climb. Also, local barangay's should have a say in limiting the number of climbers para hindi maging Luneta.

www.geocities.com/escapees_club
  • Originally posted by charlatan
    I do believe that we should give some of our nearby peaks (or any other peaks) time to heal. But i also believe that these places are for everybody. It's just a matter of discipline and respect for the place if ever you intend to visit. By all means, let's all visit Mt. Maculot and be proud of its beauty. Sana lang we do not desecrate the place. Bring your trash down. Put it in proper place. Disciplina lang talaga ang kailangan. If you don't have that, don't climb. Also, local barangay's should have a say in limiting the number of climbers para hindi maging Luneta.

www.geocities.com/escapees_club

I think that the deterioration of the camp sites and trail systems on Maculot has gone beyond the point where simply limiting the number of visitors on the mountain will have any sort of positive impact that could eventually reverse the damage. I think closing the area to visitors is the needed option, much like what they did in Mt. Banahaw.

The number one problem is the large number of visitors and their foot traffic. The problem of garbage and lack of outdoor ethic, although important, is only secondary.

I don't hold out much hope that the local barangay council will enact an ordinance limiting the number of visitors to Maculot any time soon. Doing so would mean a loss of income for the barangay and the people living in the area. Besides, they would need hard science to determine the carrying capacity of the ecosystems on Maculot to determine the allowable level of visitor usage. Undertaking such a study is, to say the least, difficult.
  • first climb ko din d2 sa maculot.sumali lang ako sa mountaineering club sa skul namin. nakakapagod! nung pababa na halos gumulong na lang ako.haha

rockies the best un!
  • Batangueno here. Local lore dictates that young kids with too much head lice get carried off by the tiny critters to Maculot. :lol: