Home PEx International Entertainment General Entertainment
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

The Manchurian Candidate

im a big fan of the original starring frank sinatra and angela lansbury. denzel washington and merryl streep are two of the finest actors around, but can the 2004 version be better than the original?

looking forward to the movie.

opens july 30 in the u.s.

Comments

• demented_yuandemented_yuan PEx Rookie ⭐
    talaga..i didnt know this...

merryl streep..wow...ill probably wont miss this flick...?

did humprey bogart starred in the original?just wondrin....
  • nope, The Manchurian Candidate (1962) starred: Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, and Janet Leigh.
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Saw this movie last Friday. All I can say is WOW!

Strong and emotionally-charged performances by Meryl Streep and Denzel Washington.

Meryl is sure to get her 12th Oscar nomination for this one.

Ang galing! :handsdown:
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I dunno, it seemed to me that this was one of the very few times that Meryl Streep over-acted a bit (the "nominate-my-son-instead" speech at the beginning). I don't know if it's Streep herself who overdid it, or the bad writing (for that part, at least).
  • this movie was B-O-R-I-N-G. Streep was great, as always.
  • I liked d movie.. Liev Schriber makes a really cool politician onscreen.. Denzel - excellent as always.. Meryl Streep - galeng, but i liked her better at that Nic Cage and Nic Cage movie..
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    You mean ADAPTATION?
  • The director seemed to be trying ot make this a psychological thriller, but failed on account of the boring and the stupid. They spent way to much time with the expostion for certain points like the implant and didn't provide enough explanation for almost anything else. I know that Denzel's character is confused and they're trying to portray his confusion, but why not have him explain his findings to Jon Voight's character a little more thoroughly after he has his little library epiphany?

Why would the president-elect have a fog machine at his acceptance speech? And what was with the random Elvis impersonator sitting next to Denzel at the library? Where did Denzel's scientist friend get all his funding to buy monkeys and brain shockers? What was w/ the completely pointless love interest? Why was Oprah's best friend in the movie at all?

The entire ending was rushed and confusing as well. How did shooting the vice president somehow make everyone believe Denzel was telling the truth? I would think it would confirm the previous conclusion that he's a psycho. Was the word of federal agent girl and the evidence from the magic implant somehow enough to convince all the right people of Denzel's story and so quickly? And how can said field agent have the authority - or if her actions were unauthorized even the opportunity - to edit video footage of the entrance of the shooter? How did they find that little island place? COuld the symbolim have been any more heavy handed with the picture in the water at the end? Admittedly, I might have missed some of the finer points, as I found a loose thread in the cuff of my jacket that captured my attention somewhat better than the film.

On a positive note, Meryl Streep was amazing, although that's kind of like saying the sky is blue.