Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

U.S PORT of ENTRY QUESTIONS

Tanong lang po.. for those travellers especially greencard holders.. have you guys ever been questioned before when you go thru the U.S Port of Entry....I mean like do they ask you how long youv'e been gone especially those who stayed longer than 6 months but not more than a year?

Comments

• I think it's mandatory that they ask how long you've been out and why you've been out that long. They did that with me even if I was out for less than 6 months.
  • Sabi kasi nila sometimes discretion pa rin nila if they let you enter.. wla lang baka kasi strict sila and stuff.. I plan to stay out for more than 6 mos kasi but less than a year.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i did stay out of the country for more than six months & i barely recall them asking me questions. just the simple ones like what did you do in this & that country... basic.

nothing really special. enjoy!
  • Pero mahigpit na sila ngayon. Sa Pilipinas pa lang, tinanong na ako ng agents ng PAL at immigration. This was just 3 months ago. I suggest you don't go over 6 months. It can make your life harder.
  • I plan to stay for 9 mos kasi nga im taking care of some family matters... hay gano kahigpit ba...? I mean I dont mind the questions as long as they let me go thru without harassing me.
  • bybybyby PExer
    went back here last july,2003 after 9 months. tanong lang sa akin ng officer is what country i stayed at before.. mali pa nga ako eh, kasi sabi ko Korea (stop over lang, although, literally that would answer the question. hehe.) though i didn't change my answer and just shut up, that was the only question he asked. anyway, he went about his business and that was it.

port of entry was at jfk airport.
  • Feeling ko nga it really depends on the location I mean if your port of entry is in California I think they are stricter...
  • Port ng LAX mas strict nga sila compared to the other port ata.
  • Originally posted by ilove323
    I plan to stay for 9 mos kasi nga im taking care of some family matters... hay gano kahigpit ba...? I mean I dont mind the questions as long as they let me go thru without harassing me.

It's quite strict. Baka bawiin yang green card mo. Don't risk it.
    Feeling ko nga it really depends on the location I mean if your port of entry is in California I think they are stricter...

They're strict anywhere, I think. Mas lalo na yata sa SFO kasi alam nila maraming Pinoy doon pumapasok.
  • Originally posted by Mr. Baseball
    It's quite strict. Baka bawiin yang green card mo. Don't risk it.

Yeah but I really have to stay for about 9mos anyway if I they make me go back and not allow me to go thru I have filed a reentry permit it just takes more than a year to get it...plus I think if I file taxes this year thats one proof that I ddnt abandon my status...hay buhay... :D
  • I also filed for a re-entry permit on reason of education and it does take more than a year to get (500+ days). I went to the US embassy there in Manila and they told me that the receipt I got was only an acknowledgement that they received my application. It doesn't necessarily mean it was approved and I will be exempted from the 6-month ruling on green card holders. So midway through the school year, I had to return to America to comply with the 6-month ruling. Before, I used to think a green card holder could be away for up to 1 year. Hindi pala. Dapat less than 6 months lang. And so I went. It was actually a good move because if I didn't, I would have had more trouble at the US port of entry when I arrived this April. I told them I was out for only 4 months. When they asked why, I told them I was in college. And then the immigration officer let me through. Wala pang 3 minutes. Scan lang ng green card tapos 2 questions and then tapos na.

Since you say you have to be out for 9 months, prepare some good explanation why you had to be out. It might not be easy coming back.
  • pero bakit ganun when I go to the USCIS website they say a green card holder or an immigrant can only be out not more than a year unless they have a reentry permit?
  • bybybyby PExer
    before my previous departure, i also applied for a re-entry permit for two years for education purposes also. filed it september,2000, complete with supporting documents.
    but what i did was i went back to the philippines before i recieved my re-entry permit, i just let it shipped over since i gave the return address here. i think i got it sometime after 5 months it was filed.

i went back here before the two years expired, which was a couple of days before. i was asked the question why i stayed for 2 years, and i said i continued my college study, and was stamped.

im not sure if they will ever give 2-year permits again, though. because i've heard they've narrowed it down to 1 year.

they're strict at any port of entry. had one stint in lax, but went through w/o hassle. keep supporting documents close by if everything else fails.

but if in doubt, i strongly suggest asking an immigration lawyer even if you have to pay.
    pero bakit ganun when I go to the USCIS website they say a green card holder or an immigrant can only be out not more than a year unless they have a reentry permit?

Sabi-sabi lang yun. It's just a way to weed out the green card holders who aren't serious about their green cards.
  • Hmm I guess i dont have any choice but take the risk..anyway question lang po..it sounds stupid but just wana ask anyway so if incase you get denied entry to the U.S will the airline refund the fare or bye bye ticket na?
    Hmm I guess i dont have any choice but take the risk..anyway question lang po..it sounds stupid but just wana ask anyway so if incase you get denied entry to the U.S will the airline refund the fare or bye bye ticket na?

That, I don't know. Siguro naman may refund kung sa Manila pa lang, hinarang ka na.
  • So you mean to tell me pag nakalagpas nako sa Manila mejo safe na?
    Hmm I guess i dont have any choice but take the risk..anyway question lang po..it sounds stupid but just wana ask anyway so if incase you get denied entry to the U.S will the airline refund the fare or bye bye ticket na?

Once na you reach here in the US then denied entry they wouldn't refund the ticket not even a small payback for your money. You won't even allowed to get out of the airport facilities. They will let you stay in the airport & wait there until the next morning & sent back to the Philippines. You are not even allowed to contact with anyone in the US as far as I know.
  • Originally posted by pinay24
    Port ng LAX mas strict nga sila compared to the other port ata.
    on my own experience, I have been to POE at LAX, ORD,JFK, SFO and Detroit, mas mahigpit ang Detroit. The rest are just like a drive thru.