Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

[Promo] The three 3 things you would buy in Hongkong (and why)...

CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
Hong Kong is famous for its sophistication and diversity in shopping. In fact, the Hong Kong Shopping Festival allows tourists in Hong Kong to grab great buys on June 26 to August 31, 2004 from among four major shopping themes: Fashion and Beauty, Jewellery and Watches, Consumer Electronics, and Chinese Traditions.

If you were to buy 3 things for yourself in Hong Kong, what would these be and why?

Answer the question and get a chance to win a dress watch from the Hong Kong Tourism Board.

Criteria for judging:
Content - 50%
Originality - 30%
Composition - 20%

Posts shall be judged by the agency of the Hong Kong Tourism Board (Perceptions, Inc.)

Promo will end on August 1, 2004.

Comments

• msjmsj PExer
    the 3 things i would buy for myself in hk? first would be an outfit from u2. hk is known for latest trends in fashion and i would definitely love to have a taste of it when i visit. the second item would be a mahjong set from the night market. it's a great hk souvenir to take home (and actually use!), and the night markets are some of the places where you can find the best bargains. and last but not the least, i would like to get a dvd camera. for the latest in electronics (at reasonable prices), hk is the place to shop!
  • i would buy 1. a digital camera (to document what will surely be a fun-filled shopping frenzy), 2. a bottle of cologne from sasa (aside from that fact that it costs less over there, these hk shops carry the latest in fragrances) and 3. an authentic cheongsam (traditional yet fashionable, for that sophisticated oriental look!).
  • I will buy for myself the ff items:

1. MP3 PLAYER - There are hudreds of mp3 players to choose from in Mongkok! I haven't seen so many in one store ever!

2. DVD OF THE INFERNAL AFFAIRS TRILOGY - HK has its own share of great actors and actresses and most of them are in this intense action-drama trilogy. The complexity of the movies is comparable to the intensity of HK.

3. CHINESE-STYLE PILLOW CASES, LINEN AND BEDROOM ACCESSORIES - After I transform my bedroom into a Chinese empress' room, I will be reminded of my sweet adventures in HK before I close my eyes each night.
  • Three things I would buy for myself: 1. a pair if shoes from the night market. I heard there are lots of bargains there. I want to buy a unique but girlie type of shoes, one that's fashionable but funky. 2. a digital camera- I will tour along Mongkok and will not stop until I find the best bargain. That item I wouldn't miss coz I will surely love to take pictures of myself in Hong Kong. 3. a box made by the "art people" in HK. Will use it to keep my photos I took in HK, some souvenir items like toiletries from the hotel, tissue papers from the restaurants I visited and my airline ticket since it would be my first time to visit HK. =)
  • three things i would buy in hong kong...

1. BAGS... I'm a bagaholic. I woud love to shop for bags there branded or not as long as it has style and value for money.

2.CANON EOS 300... I love taking pictures. Having a digital-slr on hand would be great cause I can take pictures of tourist sites with a touch of art direction.

3. IPOD... I'm a gadget freak. Owning an IPOD would really be great cause it could store a lot of MP3 music more than any mp3 player there is.
  • If you were to buy 3 things for yourself in Hong Kong, what would these be and why?

1. A Made-to 0rder Cheongsam or QIPAO. Hong Kong tailors are renowned for their speedy tailor-made service with the widest range of styles and fabrics in fashionable Chinese and fusion-style clothes and accessories.

2. Hand-printed porcelain from Stanley Market. A display of Hong Kong's aesthetic craftsmanship. It would be great to own one.

3. Fresh seafood and hotpot dishes at Temple Street. I love Chinese food and where else can I try the best of Chinese delicacies? From Hong Kong, of course!
  • the last time i was in hongkong was when i was 13 years old. im now 26. i hardly remember my trip then (talk about short term memory hehe). but if i were to go back and buy three things it would be:
    1. a dress watch for my husband. he's always talking abt wanting to buy one. but since it's quite expensive here and he's a little cheap, maybe a change of scenery would also change his mind. its time to give up on your timex watch honey!
    2. a dolphin stuff toy for my 2 year old boy. my son loves animals esp "dopheens" as he calls it. although my mom doesn't advice it to tag him along incase we plan to take a trip. i refuse to leave him. as young as he is, im sure he'd love it in ocean park. i don't care if he doesn't remember it when he grows up. the smile, the laughter and those beaming eyes as he watches those dolphins jump and flip through the pool are enough to make those memories stick to MY mind for the rest of MY life.
    3. lastly, i will get ME a classic I love hongkong! shirt as a little keepsake of the trip. but then maybe it wouldn't hurt if grab some bags, pants, shoes and even accessories to match my cute little shirt now, would it?

:)
  • 3 THINGS TO BUY IN HONGKONG?.. HMM, I HAVEN'T BEEN TO HONGKONG.. BUT SURELY, I WOULD SURELY BUY A REPLICA OF THEIR MOST FAMOUS LANDMARK IN KEY CHAIN FORM, EITHER VICTORIA PEAK OR OCEAN PARK (TO REMIND ME OF MY TRIP AND BRAG ABOUT IT WHENEVER SOMEONE ASKS ME WHERE I GOT MY KEYCHAIN!)

2. A T-SHIRT SAYING I GOT THE SHIRT IN HONG KONG (TO PROMOTE MORE BRAGGING!),

AND LASTLY, I WILL BUY A COPY (IF EVER THERE IS ONE) OF THE LEGEND OF THE HOTEL IN FRONT OF VICTORIA PEAK, THE ONE THAT HAS A LARGE GAP IN THE MIDDLE :) (I FIND THE STORY QUITE AMUSING AND I WANT TO PASS IT ON WITH MY CHILDREN IN THE FUTURE).
  • I have never been to Hongkong, that's probably why I have more-than-ready answers. :) first, i wish there were more than three must-buys in HK since my list is probably longer than a 5 year old kid's Christmas Wish List.
    But since I have never been to HK, my 3 must-buys would be more memoir-serving than materialistic:

1. I would love to buy skimmed lattes at the new Emporio Armani Cafe! Imagine sipping designer coffee in a designer cafe while ogling designer dresses and reading a book from Armani Libri! Heaven! =)

2. A day spa package at Elemis! There's probably nothing that speaks more of indulgence than spas. I would love to be scrubbed and pampered to hedonistic heaven. MMMMmmmm!

3. Afternoon tea at China Tee Club or Mandarin Oriental. I know this is considered the most important meal of the day by the rich people and I just want to feel what it is like to be with HK's moneyed set, sipping our chamomiles and talking about, yep, designer clothes! =)
  • What 3 things would I buy in hongkong?..hmm..I think the question for me should be what 3 things wouldn't I buy!!?! For starters I think one rational thing to do is to gift myself with a valuable timepiece (the real thing of course!) I think a good solid watch is value for money, it's useful and if I'm careful enough its can even serve as an heirloom.It's also nice to remember a happy trip everytime you look at your wrist to check the time.Next to feed the soul, a ticket to a either a cultural show,concert,play,opera or circus performance in season.Finally, theres also the appetite to satisfy so I'm buying an authentic meal with Peking duck as my main course. So there I have it 3 items, to please the mind,spirit and the body!
  • 3 things huh! There's a lot i would like to buy :) . Ok just 3 things, i'll buy in HK some ..

first - Tea Set Porcelain or those China Dinnerware set. These things would always reminds me of those yummy chinese foods .. yum yum! Months ago i saw in CNN the reported gave his colleagues a gift of Tea set. A nice gift!

second - since i have the Tea set Porcelain, i will also buy a lot of TEA. LYCHEE TEA taste good and it will make us look young. Can't wait to taste it again!

third - Peking Duck Rice! Those duck taste really really good. No doubt about it.
  • westwest PExer
    3 things only? ;)

1st - Tickets to Ocean Park. I love sea animals! and would love to visit/study their lifestyle/observe An An and Jai Jai.

2nd - A Sony Cyber-shotDigital Camera (DSC-F828). Considering that I am a techie-geek and have a passion for photography, this camera would be the perfect way to capture every moment spent in HK as well in my life. As cliche-ish as it may sound, "pictures will last us a lifetime full of memories" Oh! and of course, to take LOTS of pics of myself ;)

3rd - Map of HK/or just the Main City. I seek adventure and new discoveries! A thrill seeker, this will be the ultimate adventure for me. Imagine, alone in a foreign city with just a map to guide you. An adventure that will last me a thousand stories to share to my family and friends :)
  • if i were to buy three things in Hong Kong, my list would definitely include:

1.)a Jade Necklace - I haven't been with my family for sometime now and i miss my mother big time. I can only count the very few times that i've told her how much i love her and how much i appreciate everything that she has done for me and for supporting me in all my endeavour. Jade is a pretty popular accesory in HK, so i would give this to my Mama as a gift, as a simple way of saying thank you for being my light in this vicious world.

2.) Phonograph - Music is a great part of my life. My family is musically inclined. I was growing up listening to the music of Frank Sinatra, Matt Monro, ABBA etc. And until now, i have considered music as my saving grace especially in those trying times. But i pity all those LPs (long plays) sitting in the corner of our living room just collecting dust. So this phonograph would be great in reliving and reminiscing all those music and memories that were part of me when i was growing up.

and lastly:

3.) Watch - I have always wanted to own a good watch. im not really an accessory kind of person and a watch is the only accessory which i consider the most useful. so i guess it will definitely be a great souvenir for me from HK, reminding me of what a great time i had when i was there.
  • Buy stuff at the online videogame stores based in Hong Kong, Digital Camera, and Ipod
  • Three Hong Kong Musts:

For the modern and technology-driven Hong Kong, I’ll buy for myself a state-of-the-art laptop for my professional and career development.

For the elegance that is Hong Kong, I’ll buy a fine piece of china to be given to my in-laws.

And, finally, for the beauty that typifies Hong Kong, I’ll buy one spectacular gold locket to give to my beloved wife.
  • The best buys in Hong Kong include Chinese antiques, shoes, jewelry, furniture, carpets, leather goods, luggage (you'll probably need a new bag just to lug your purchases home), handbags, briefcases, Chinese herbs, and eyeglasses. Hong Kong is also one of the world's largest exporters of watches and toys. As for electronic goods and cameras, they are not the bargains they once were...

Fashion - I'll buy the nicest dress I would see to match with the dress watch I would win in this contest...hehehe..

High-quality Tibetan handicrafts- a ceramic dolls, at least I would know that my money would go to support poor, orphaned, and children with disabilities.

Carpet - to add in the refurbishing of my new home.
  • the three things i would buy in hong kong would be:

1. an ivory or jade statue or carving that resembles a dragon for goodluck in life and business,

2. a silk nightgown for the love of my life.she likes to collect them,

3. lastly, a simple digital camera to record the images of the trip which i would treasure forever.

that's it.
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Congratulations to the following:
    luminol
    haaynaku
    petalsOFtheBLUE
    kojimoji
    west

Please wait for the email which will inform you how you can claim the prize. :)
This discussion has been closed.