COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

if you found out that

rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
if you found out that your religion is basically a lie.
but it teaches good things like love

would you continue following it and propagating it , because you believe that
'the end justifies the means'

Comments

• omengomeng the glorious PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    not good premise.
    :)
  • freakster2k1freakster2k1 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    but isnt the actual end 'attaining salvation?' and hence, the end doesnt justify the mean.
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    if it is a lie then its possible that the salvation would also be a lie.
  • QuentinQuentin Montejo PExer
    hmm. maybe i will :)

it would be like in a treatmen of sugar-coated capsules of antibiotic that when you begin taking it in without the sugary coating, it just won't feel the same.

so i continue ingesting that sugar-coated capsule of antibiotic.
  • pollywogpollywog ...just because PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ...I'll continue to follow it but not propagate.
  • i've always wondered why we need 'heaven' to do good. i mean, can't we just do good and not expect anything in return?
  • karagözlerkaragözler off the deep end PExer
    onomatopoet: excellent point. but it's not human nature to work hard for something without expecting a reward at the end. :D

back to the OP: like pollywog, i'd continue following, but i wouldn't propagate it.
  • well, working hard for something doesn't necessarily mean 'good' does it? my point is that it's so easy to do the right thing without expecting anything in return. much easier than doing the bad deed wherein the evlidoer does expect a result, an effect or a 'reward'.
  • Tri[p]nauticTri[p]nautic I Cum In Peace PExer
    As long as my religion believes in one God, accepts and respects other established faiths, no matter how different their practices are, and as long as it follows the basic morality our society follows, then I will still follow my beliefs.
  • gadƒlygadƒly Member PExer
    religion=coping mechanism
  • gekokujogekokujo Original Fire PExer
    Originally posted by karagözler
    onomatopoet: excellent point. but it's not human nature to work hard for something without expecting a reward at the end.
    but if it's only human nature to expect a reward at the end, is expecting a 'heaven', then, only human nature?
    Originally posted by rickym
    if you found out that your religion is basically a lie.
    but it teaches good things like love

would you continue following it and propagating it , because you believe that
    'the end justifies the means'
    is 'religion' the only thing that teaches good things?

aren't other things worthy of being followed and propagated? won't the ends justify other means?
    for me its not only religion that teaches good things.

there are spiritual people who are not religious

there are people who are not religious who may not even call themselves spiritual

there are people who don't even believe in god.

and there are people who wouldn't even give religion or spirituality a thought.

still they may still be good people.

i don't even know if religious people are considered better than non-religious people.

concerning other things which are worthy of being followed, we have the law of course.

hmm... take a look at this website, it claims to be non-religious.
    http://www.humaniststudies.org/
  • eToiLeeToiLe seuLe PExer
    it takes enough faith to believe something thats surreal
  • Tee_Z28Tee_Z28 Member PExer
    if it's a lie.. then it's a lie... would i continue?! I believed NOT in the religion but in its surreal reality in my spirituality...

ke may religion to specifically define my beliefs or not... I will continue on with what i know is true.. that is the Bible
  • i will continue practicing my religion as long as it brings order into my life. i will not try to influence others to follow the religion that i practice but i wll try to let others know that it has a positive impact on me.
  • i think it all boils down to one's faith :D
    Originally posted by rickym
    for me its not only religion that teaches good things.

there are spiritual people who are not religious

there are people who are not religious who may not even call themselves spiritual

there are people who don't even believe in god.

and there are people who wouldn't even give religion or spirituality a thought.

still they may still be good people.

i don't even know if religious people are considered better than non-religious people.
    admitting that being a good person may not be synonymous with being a religious person is where my own journey started from too. :)
  • subtlesubtle N O B I T S K I PExer
    I found out long ago that my Religion is not fully a lie, but it has its flaws. Nothing changed. I still receive communion once in a while. I still pray to God etc.

No big deal really.

:imu:
    for me flaws are fine. part of growing up.

lies are something else. if the religion lies that it can make no mistakes. then it can not be trusted in anything it says. since chances are the lies don't stop there.

if the religion actually believes that it makes no mistakes and it obviously does. then that religion is living with its own delusions. and chances are the ones believing it are deluded as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file