COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

why does God need us to worship Him?

grendelgrendel King of Pain PExer
I was wondering several nights ago, that if God is truly omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omni-what-have-you, why does he still need people to worship him?

ok, some might might that God doesn't need us but the other way around.

but still He asks us to glorify His name into exaltations and hosannas. WHY???

tatanong lang po :confused:

Comments

• spindoctorspindoctor pelvic splachnic ganglion PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ummm... may inferiority complex siya? :D
  • grendelgrendel King of Pain PExer
    Originally posted by spindoctor
    Ummm... may inferiority complex siya? :D

hehehe...:p
  • pollywogpollywog ...just because PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    He doesn't!

God is the absolute, He is the absolute everything, and therefore, need, want and demand absolutely nothing.

If one choose to believe in a God who somehow needs something-and has such hurt feelings if He doesn't get it that He punished those from whom He expected to receive it-then you choose to believe in a 'lesser' God.

There are those who would make Him a jealous God; but who could be jealous when one has, and is, everything?

There are those who would make Him a wrathful God; but what could cause Him to be angry when He cannot be hurt or damaged in any way?

There are those who would make Him a vengeful God; but on whom would He take vengeance, since all thet exists is Him?

Why would God create us, give us the power to create, give us the freedom of choice to create what we wish to experience, then punish us forever for making the 'wrong' choice?!

I suggest you read Conversations With God series...
    I don't think you answered the question.
  • rezan00rezan00 Member PExer
    Im not sure He needs us to worship Him, could you provide some background on this?

I think he told us to (10 Commandments?). Like how a father tells a child to obey him. The father can survive without the child, he doesnt need the child's obedience to exist, live nor survive. The father knows better even if the child throws a tantrum the father still knows what's best (generally knows what's best, because fathers are human).
  • BartoloxBartolox I AM WHO AM PExer
    In Psalm 148:2 " Praise the LORD from the heavens, praise him in the heights above. Praise him, all his angels, praise him, all his heavenly hosts. Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars."

The Psalmist clearly indicates that God needs praises just to remind him how a cool guy he is. It also indicates that this God is not perfect as many thought. A Perfect Being doesn't need praises or honor or lip service. It only points to an insecure God.
  • triple_Jtriple_J thoughts burn PExer
    Worshipping God is our purpose... Plain and simple.
  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    ^ these psalms and scriptures are written by MAN whom god gave free will and who can lie if he willed to . Who knows if these are for real? did those words truly come from god? So IMHO, we wouldnt know what god really wants regarding us praising him, or about anything else for that matter.
  • boredtodayboredtoday tomorrow and yesterday PExer
    ^ but didn't god guide them when they were writing their books? well, that's what i was taught.
  • ShinobiShinobi Life is such a beautiful! PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Love tayu ni Lord dba? dapat pakita di natin na love natin sya! Ang pagsamba natin ay isang way nang pagpapakita na love din natin sya :grinroll:
  • grendelgrendel King of Pain PExer
    Originally posted by rezan00
    Im not sure He needs us to worship Him, could you provide some background on this?

I think he told us to (10 Commandments?). Like how a father tells a child to obey him. The father can survive without the child, he doesnt need the child's obedience to exist, live nor survive. The father knows better even if the child throws a tantrum the father still knows what's best (generally knows what's best, because fathers are human).

I remember this one time our school rector got mad while saying mass. He said that he didn't need us to hear mass since we were only there as spectators/worshippers/on the receiving end; while he was the proponent of the mass and that without him, there wouldn't be a mass at all.

I think it's very similar to wha you said above.

But my question still stands...WHY??? Does our act of worship empower him or something? And what if we suddenly stop praising Him, what would happen to Him?
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    grendel said:
    "But my question still stands...WHY??? Does our act of worship empower him or something? And what if we suddenly stop praising Him, what would happen to Him?"

that theme is so familiar. it was used in one of those computer games probably 10 years ago.

the theme was there was god(or was it several gods?) who would get their power from worship. and the more people worship him, the stronger he gets, he can then help or threaten his people so that they will behave and worship him more.

actually i believe for lesser gods, they would indeed get power from worship. this is because worship entails concentration and from concentration, energy can be directed into the being who is worshiped. the being could then convert the energy into other forms.

some people also do this. the more you worship them, the 'stronger' they get. same with appreciation. that's why 'herd mentality' exists. some people just can't function and question the 'norm' because they derive energy from the collective.
  • BartoloxBartolox I AM WHO AM PExer
    Originally posted by Shinobi
    Love tayu ni Lord dba? dapat pakita di natin na love natin sya! Ang pagsamba natin ay isang way nang pagpapakita na love din natin sya
    A perfect Being doesn't need love, worship or praise. Otherwise that Being is not perfect. That is the reason why the Christian God is only an imagination.
    Originally posted by Fenix
    these psalms and scriptures are written by MAN whom god gave free will and who can lie if he willed to . Who knows if these are for real? did those words truly come from god? So IMHO, we wouldnt know what god really wants regarding us praising him, or about anything else for that matter.
    So do you think it is possible the Psalmist lied when he besseched God's creatures to praise Him? And remember the Bible is the Word of God inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is free from errors. To even hint the Psalmist can lie smacks of Blasphemy. You have to go to confession now. But that's ok. For me it is a lesser lie than saying Little Pigs can fly and understand Mathematics at the same time.
  • pollywogpollywog ...just because PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A deity has no needs. It therefore wants, or lacks, nothing- by definition.
  • wackymathaywackymathay Great Scott! PExer
    hmmm....di naman kasi naniniwala ka God...

tapos magsasalita parang taong "who will believe what he wants to believe, not one who has experienced something that has helped him to believe":rolleyes:
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Bartolox said:
    "A perfect Being doesn't need love, worship or praise. Otherwise that Being is not perfect. That is the reason why the Christian God is only an imagination."

I fully agree with your first sentence. I am not sure about the second.

There is still another option though. Is it that the Christian God is an imagination or are some of its followers misrepresenting it and ruining its reputation.
  • omengomeng the glorious PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    he he

if you are god.. would you tell the people to worship you?

your answer.. is the key.. meaning... that's your god.
  • XenorinoaXenorinoa Back 2 Square One PExer
    He doesn't need anything literally but because God is all powerful, He deserves the highest respect. It's not a need but a thing that should follow because of His person, His being. A good person doesn't need your kindness, but if you'll ask any moral person (at least), he'd would probably say that that person deserves the same treatment too.

A President would not tolerate a person who disrespects his authority. It isn't a sign of insecurity. It's just the proper thing to do. It's wrong to do it the other way around anyway. That's my humble opinion. :D:D
  • ShinobiShinobi Life is such a beautiful! PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by Bartolox
    A perfect Being doesn't need love, worship or praise. Otherwise that Being is not perfect.

Hmm..uu nga noh! may point ka din :D

Oh well..bahala na si Lord kung imperfect sya o perfect sya, problema nya na yun :lol:

basta ang utos nya "I love you, please love me, were a happy family" yun na lang gagawin ko kasi love ko si lord eh :grinroll:

Love is blind ika nga :grinroll:
    Ok, so lot of people here say a powerful being such as God doesn't need worshipping. The next question follows, anturally: If God doesn't need worshipping, why do we worship anyway?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file