Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino

TATTOO = decreased hireability?

if your work is a medical field let say doctor, nurse, med tech etc, is there any policy that dont allow tattoo ?, or if you are going to us and work as a medical whatever is it ok to have a tattoo ??

Comments

• I am not aware of any such policy. But then, I never thought of getting a tattoo either.

BTW, I think this thread is better suited to "The Working Filipino". Moving...
  • A tatoo is not a basis for employment.

However, your employer/agency will definitely request some blood tests to determine if you acquired some bloodborne illness as a result of tatooing which may prove a potential health risk for patients especially if one will be working in the medical field.

These screening tests are also requested for all migrant workers regardless of whether they have a tatoo or not. The results especially when positive for something can jeopardize your employment.
  • Hi I just don't know where to place this question. But I hope ma answer nyo...Thanks! I have a friend nagusto magwork kaso medyo naiintimidate sya..actually nahihiya dahil baka di sya tanggapin..he has the qualities, alright. Theproblem is, he has a tattoo! :c Worried sick na sya regarding this. Takot sya mag apply sa big companies dahil takot sa rejection...though i know baka may possibility, dahil sa meron nga syang tattoo..PERO is it also possible na matanggap din sya? Kahit d sa Big companies??? Meron ba na work na la pakiaalam kahit may tattoo ung tao?Basta na sakanya ung qualties? :D Di naman ganon kalaki ung tattoo e...
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Two questions:

Where is the tattoo?
    What kind of job is he looking for?
  • Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I never really experienced getting rejected because of a tattoo... But then again my tattoos are in places not easily seen...

Though I WAS worried when I went to my new job since it was an international organization but I noticed that a lot of people sported tattoos so I guess it was fine... :)
  • I've seen lives ruined by Tattoos...they are the primary cause of suicide in some countries...

jk :D
  • ipa laser nya. para walang prob.
  • DunedainDunedain PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Tattoos have been around way way way before the word "corporation" or "stock market" was even coined. They are no different from any other beauty mark. Sadly, Pinoys immediately tags people with tattoos as convicts or those who have violated the law. If so, maybe we should entirely take away freedom of expression and live like zombies. I have a couple of buddies who have tattoos on both their arms - and rake above the $50k/year bracket for their skills, and not for their tattoos.

Isn't it amazing that in Pinas, people hire the next person with looks rather than skills? And they blame those leaving the country for greener pastures.
  • b_chai19: seems to me your friend is not confident enough to have a tattoo. In that case, he's better off having those removed.

Dunedain: wala pa namang kaso ng discrimination, medyo kinakabahan lang yung kaibigan ni b_chai19
  • IMO ppl with Tattoos are total idiots.

Originally posted by Dunedain
    I have a couple of buddies who have tattoos on both their arms - and rake above the $50k/year bracket for their skills, and not for their tattoos.

....Well that explains why your buddies are earning $50k and not $150k.
  • I wouldn't go to far as to call them total idiots, just impulsive.
    They got a tatoo/ swithout considering the long term implications. Have you ever seen a 60 year old woman with tatoos? It's not a pretty sight. Sure that cool pattern or design looks so nice now, but what is trendy now will be tacky tomorrow. Makes me consider getting into the tatoo removal biz; by the time these kids hit 40, they'll be falling in line to get those formerly "*****in'" tatoos removed. LOL

Dunedain, we're not the only ones who have a cultural loathing of tatoos. In Japanese society, tatoos are the mark of outcasts like Yakuza. I think the same prejudice is found in Korea, but I could be wrong.

Regardless of what I think of tatoos, I wouldn't base my HR decisions on whether someone has a tatoos or not. Unless the tatoo is visible and may interfere with their work.
  • Originally posted by Shokosugi
    IMO ppl with Tattoos are total idiots.

....Well that explains why your buddies are earning $50k and not $150k.

Uhm, no it doesn't. You're the idiot for thinking that. :)
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yeah s/he'll be a big idiot if s/he has a college education & knows the implication if s/he'll get a tattoo as big as his/her body.

that'll take a definite toll. most of the companies in the philippines are "conservative". so with that, you can see the picture.
  • hmmm that is conflicting

i was recently hiring, and if i did see a tatoo on a person applying for a managerial possition i would think twice about hiring that person.

but then again the shining chracter of that person would be his/her hiring point.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Depends on what his job requires. If he were to be confined within the office I would see no problem with the tattoo no matter where it was on his body. But if I had to send him out as a representative of the company to meet customers or clients, I might have cause for concern.

I have had complaints from my clients about the people we send to meet them. Some have to do with physical or cosmetic characteristics (unpresentable or sexually revealing clothes, bad breath, body odor), behavior (chewing or bubble gum on the job), or attitude (unapologetically late, visible anger, carelessness). These complaints often adversely affect successful business outcomes, but the things they complain about are easily corrected or prevented from happening again.

Now if someone with a tattoo on his forehead, or full body which is visible on his forearms were to turn off some of my customers, how easy is that to correct? Am I about to argue about nondiscrimination? I might win the argument but lose the customer's business forever. In such a case, can the tattooed guy come back to me and tell me he is still capable of doing his job?
  • i think depende sa nature ng trabaho na gagawin mo. malaking bagay din kung ano ang itsura ng tatoo.

imagine natin si... jay manalo... di ba may tatoo sha sa braso... would you hire him if he applies? hehe. sa tingin ko marami magsasabi ng oo. anyway, mali ang test ko... ito na lang...

assuming 2 applicants which are equally skilled but one has a visible tatoo along the arm and the other one doesn't... who would you hire if the position to be filled is:

1.) an office messenger?
    2.) a clerk?
    3.) an office manager?
    4.) a sales representative?
    5.) a call center agent?
    6.) a factory supervisor?
    7.) a vice-president for finance?
  • in all positions you specified i'd hire the one WITHOUT a tattoo.
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Well kung nasa pwet naman ang tatoo, I can't see why it should annoy people at work.

:glee:

But then again, depende kung anong "work".

:D
  • haha jensie!!! :D
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Pero kiddin' aside... I find tattoos disgusting... It's so unhygienic.

:yuck: