Home PEx Family and Society Realm of Thought

Free Thinkers Unite!

:alarm:

liwanag here,

i wonder if other free thinkers out there would like to meet up, share stories, ideas and philosophies and learning from others who may disagree with them, but also respect them?

back in 2001 before the twin towers crashed, there was a move within ROT to form such a group, even just an informal one, specially for those who were looking for something more in their sundays after going to church.

the full utilization of our reasoning faculties is a gift to whatever Supreme Being one believes in.

interested?

Comments

• I'm not much of a storyteller - but I can come by to listen. And make hirit (but not the sanctimonious, you'll-burn-in-hell type of hirits, you'll be glad to know). How about that?
  • what happened to the Free Thinker's Study Group thread? :(
  • QuentinQuentin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i'm not a free thinker at the moment :glee:
  • HBBHBB PExer
    Sounds interesting. Basta ba walang sanctimonious, you-are-a-slave hirits e. :D
  • ay so free thinking ba eh yung

agreeing to disagree?

pede sumali? :teehee:
  • Count me in.
  • freakster2k1freakster2k1 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    kape? hehe. lika kapihan
  • Originally posted by joe_higashi
    ay so free thinking ba eh yung

agreeing to disagree?

pede sumali? :teehee:

Why not? Basta nde lang "you've got to have faith" ang huling hantungan ng arguments mo, ba, why not?
  • Even if united, It will be a gargantuan task of stemming the tide of irrationality and delusion.
  • Originally posted by micketymoc
    Why not? Basta nde lang "you've got to have faith" ang huling hantungan ng arguments mo, ba, why not?
    Wala ring "I refuse to indulge people who blablabla" or "Sorry ka na lang but I simply do not have the time blablabla" or similar excuses when someone finds his/her back against the wall.

How you argue or defend your position is just as important as your position itself.
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mali kayo! the bible says otherwise! tapos ang usapan!

so when's the kapihan?
    oo nga. kapihan. saan kaya masarap? Sa may diosdado macapagal hiway. hehe.
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    why not in up campus? lots of greenery and open grounds in which to modulate one's EM and telepathic waves.
  • Kasama ba sa paguusapan yung mga superpowers like third eye, astral travel, kulam, evil eye, atbp. ? It will be a good venue to express themselves and their powers.

Yun nga lang baka shy sila.
  • rickymrickym PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    sali rin ako
    some one set it. hehe.
  • comrades,

thanks for the replies!

raggster: i have been trying to search for the old free thinker's study group thread,but the search function seems to be inoperative right now.
    (dearest mods, how dowe solve this one?)

micketymoc, gekokujo & HBB: i guess there's no real profile of who can join, anyone who is willing to listen, respect and understand other people is the basic requirement. one of the resons that the study group was supposed to be formed was because some of the regular ROTers got tired of the fire-and-brimstone hurlers from whatever established religion. and i guess some also felt the need to physically meet up and share with real live people beyond the isolation and pseudo-intimacy of cyberspace.

so what am i tying to say? yes, you're more than welcome to join.:D

Bartolox & joe_higashi: yup, you're right. it really is a task to impose order unto the chaos that is free-thinking. that's why we won't. :)
    we are all just looking for a venue beyond pex (though pex certainly opened up lots of doors of perception), where we can share EVEN our irrationality, delusions, super powers, etc. we don't seek to convert anybody else, just say our piece and listen to other people's pieces, and then at the end of the day, to form our own opinions in the quiet of our own individual thoughts. Some of us may even want ot challenge their own beliefs and ideas, what better way than in a melting pot of ideas, and a crucible of different people who agree to disagree.

mac_bolan00 & freakster2k1: UP Diliman & the Katipunan area is certainlyadvantageous for me personally, but i submit the question of venue to everyone else. My suggestion would still be to hold it on a sunday afternoon, but suggestions are certainly encouraged. coffee certainly sounds good to me. though any food, drink and legal substance is certainly welcome. i didn't include banned substances as these are for private use. hope this is okay with everyone?

Quentin: i know you're pulling my leg, because actually everyone is a free-thinker, though some are more free than others :D
    join us anyway?

Hyperion & rickym: sometimes the fewer words are the easiest to understand. thanks for your interest!

everybody: while i addressed each of you, the messages are for everyone. so when would you all like to start? when this becomes regular, i might be able to arrange to use a place just near UP Diliman. we just have to bring the drinks & food, but the place is free for use, lots of parking, and quiet surroundings.

looking forward to your replies.

spread the word!
    yeah, mukhang ok na ok yan.
  • Originally posted by liwanag
    Bartolox & joe_higashi: yup, you're right. it really is a task to impose order unto the chaos that is free-thinking. that's why we won't. :)
    we are all just looking for a venue beyond pex (though pex certainly opened up lots of doors of perception), where we can share EVEN our irrationality, delusions, super powers, etc. we don't seek to convert anybody else, just say our piece and listen to other people's pieces, and then at the end of the day, to form our own opinions in the quiet of our own individual thoughts. Some of us may even want ot challenge their own beliefs and ideas, what better way than in a melting pot of ideas, and a crucible of different people who agree to disagree.
    I've been in several of these meetings and I must say, there is no way critical thinkers can listen to people's irrationality, delusions, and claims of superpowers without asking for validation. It will eventually end up hurting these people's feelings because they will feel we are mocking them with our questions. I have never met a supposed psychic or a person who claims supernatural powers who will agree to be tested under controlled conditions. When we ask them for proofs, they will always find ways to weasel their way out. The most popular alibi is "God works in mysterious ways".

Joining these people with critical thinkers to share their ideas and powers with the hope of finding the Truth is laudable. But it's not going to be a pretty sight.
  • I would like to know how those other meetings went. were they with other pexers, or just similar free thinkers? you described what basically happens to a lot of people who speak their mind, wherein other people force them to prove their opinions and ideas, and hurt them in the process.

if i earned a peso for every time this happened in my barkada of supposed free thinkers, i would be filthy rich by now.

i guess that's what we are trying to do with this new group. "Share" would be the operative word, not "prove", "insult" or "mock".

if another person told me that he was having visions of the end of the world, i would assume that he believes what he shares with me. but as to the proof of his visions, i can never force that out of him, nor expect to be convinced. so i will not expect. i just ask that we share what we think and believe is our understanding of our individual truths or realities.

i have an aunt who believes that her centuries-old wooden statue of Jesus Christ speaks to her in her dreams. do i disbelieve her? no, i just understand that that is her understanding of her reality. now, i will ask her about the phenomenon, and tr to see it from her point of view. but i will never have the right to insult her, as long as her reporting is true to what she perceiv

i believe critical thinkers can actthis way, di ba?