[MERGED] Tuberculosis

i'm worried sa sister ko...kasi grandmother (kasama sa house) ng bf nya may TB. so, is it possible na mahawa sya?? and possible din ba na madala nya yun sa house and mahawa kami? pls hep! thanks!

Comments

• IraIra Member PExer
    Tuberculosis bacteria are transmitted by airborne particles that are generated when a person with TB sneezes, coughs, speaks, or sings. Persons who share the same airspace with infected people are at risk. Infection occurs when a susceptible person inhales particles containing tubercle bacilli, and these bacilli become established in the lungs and spread throughout the body.
  • q18q18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PExer
    you mean possible na meron ng active/inactive TB yung bf nya kasi kasama sa house eh?!? is it possible na mahawa sis ko sa bf nya and madala nya sa bahay namin? what if inactive lang yung TB nun? pwede pa rin bang mahawa sister ko? or kami?
  • sniper0098sniper0098 Member PExer
    sorry nagamit ko nick mo kasi naiwan sya sa pc na pinaggamitan ko medyo nagmamadali ako kaya hindi ko napansin na nick mo pala yung ginagamit ko. i didn't mean harm naman eh tsaka don't worry wala naman akong masamang sinabi sa post ko eh. peace!
  • GreekGodGreekGod Member PExer
    Originally posted by q18
    you mean possible na meron ng active/inactive TB yung bf nya kasi kasama sa house eh?!? is it possible na mahawa sis ko sa bf nya and madala nya sa bahay namin? what if inactive lang yung TB nun? pwede pa rin bang mahawa sister ko? or kami?

Ang may high risk na makakuha ng bacteria ay yung mga taong may close association sa pasyente. Kung kasama sa house as in nagsasama together, everyday contact with the patient, eh may possibility na makalanghap ka ng TB bacteria.

Pero kung dumalaw ka lang sa isang may TB, eh hindi ganon kataas ang chance mo na magka-TB. Huwag kang mag-alala maliban na lang kung singahan ka at mahina and defense system mo.

Kapag nakalanghap ka na ng TB bacteria, it does not mean that you are sick already-INFECTED ka pa lang. If your immune system is strong enough to defend you, the bacteria will stay in your body but in the inactive state.

If you want to be sure, subject yourself to a TB test. :)
  • nailbiternailbiter Member PExer
    Originally posted by GreekGod
    Ang may high risk na makakuha ng bacteria ay yung mga taong may close association sa pasyente. Kung kasama sa house as in nagsasama together, everyday contact with the patient, eh may possibility na makalanghap ka ng TB bacteria.

Kapag nakalanghap ka na ng TB bacteria, it does not mean that you are sick already-INFECTED ka pa lang. If your immune system is strong enough to defend you, the bacteria will stay in your body but in the inactive state.

My dad's x-ray was clear but he was found positive for TB with a skin test, so his pulmonologist put him under treatment for TB. Hindi naman siya naging symptomatic. His doctor also suggested to have the entire family tested. None of us seems to be exhibiting symptoms of TB either. My x-ray was also clear. My question is, if you get infected but the bacteria remains inactive, ok lang ba not to undergo treatment?
    Originally posted by GreekGod

kasama nya sa house yung may TB eh. so, malamang infected na sya noh? if infected na sya, meron bang way para mawala yung infection sa katawan nya? ano yung mga possibilities na maging active yung TB sa katawan nya?
    Kapag nakalanghap ka na ng TB bacteria, it does not mean that you are sick already-INFECTED ka pa lang. If your immune system is strong enough to stay, the bacteria will stay in your body but in the inactive state.

gano katagal magiging inactive yun? magiging active din ba yun eventually? pano mo malalaman kung naging active na?
    If you want to be sure, subject yourself to a TB test. :)

how much would that cost?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    With TB, it's impossible to know if a carrier will always just remain latent or will experience full-blown symptoms. The only way to find out whether the boyfriend has it would be to see a pulmonologist who can request a chest x-ray and/or tuberculin testing. A pulmonary TB case may not exhibit lung symptoms and remain latent, but the bacteria may spread to other parts of the body (e.g. spine, brain), and you may also transmit the disease to a loved one who may not be so lucky and may develop symptoms, so it's still better to treat asymptomatic TB. Fact is, TB is a highly endemic disease in this country--a large majority of the population harbor the organism (yes, even you), though most don't exhibit symptoms. The only way to eradicate TB would be to take anti-TB medications daily for at least 6 months. After around 3 weeks of taking anti-TB medications, a TB carrier won't transmit the bacteria anymore. I'm not sure how much the test would cost, but I assume that can't be more than P200.
    is it advisable na wag muna silang magkita for the mean time habang hindi pa natetest and nagagamot yung guy para maiwasan yung pag-spread nito??
  • nailbiternailbiter Member PExer
    once you've been treated for TB, posible bang ma-infect ulit?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    If the guy's her boyfriend already, I assume they would have at least kissed by now. It's a little too late to take precautions like that, and actually, it's an overreaction to the disease. Let them see each other, although advice the guy to have regular check-ups while his lola is still infective. TB is endemic in this country. Everyone's been exposed to it. If you are otherwise healthy and you have a normal immune system, chances are you won't catch it even with constant exposure to the disease.

It's possible to get re-infected.
  • q18q18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PExer
    Originally posted by Ira
    If the guy's her boyfriend already, I assume they would have at least kissed by now. It's a little too late to take precautions like that, and actually, it's an overreaction to the disease. Let them see each other, although advice the guy to have regular check-ups while his lola is still infective. TB is endemic in this country. Everyone's been exposed to it. If you are otherwise healthy and you have a normal immune system, chances are you won't catch it even with constant exposure to the disease.

her lola got infected last year pa and parang meron (daw?) ulit ngayon...i guess i'm just overreacting a little. what are the symptoms para malaman if active na?
    Originally posted by q18
    what are the symptoms para malaman if active na?

Symptoms depend on which organ has been infected and affected. The most common site of course is the lungs.
    Take note of the following signs & symptoms:

may ubo na hindi nawawala hanggang mga dalawang linggo
    may pananakit sa dibdib
    may bahid ng dugo sa plema
    pagbaba ng timbang
    pagpayat
    paglalagnat
    panginginig

at syempre lab test results :)
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Originally posted by q18

her lola got infected last year pa and parang meron (daw?) ulit ngayon...i guess i'm just overreacting a little. what are the symptoms para malaman if active na?

My guess is that the grandmother was diagnosed last year, took the medications for a few weeks, felt better, then stopped the medication even before the minimum required 6 months was done. It's a bit of a hassle taking 3-5 types of medications a day for at least 6 months.

Oftentimes, even with active pulmonary TB, a patient can remain asymptomatic, or maybe just have an occassional cough or maybe slight evening fevers that won't go away. Thus, it would be a safe precaution to have regular checkups with a pulmonologist if there is constant exposure. But as long as the patient has been regularly taking the medications for at least 3 weeks, you won't get infected anymore.
  • kabisekabise Tindero sa 168 PExer
    some said that INH (isoniazid) the drug of choice in preventive treatment of TB is very hard on your liver that the doctors only recommend this to Pt 40 years or younger. Is this is true?
    Peripheral neuropathy is the common side effect.
    But the liver may also be inflammed by INH as a side effect as well. But it is usually prescribed in combination with other drugs.
    Hapatotoxicity rarely occurs in chldren, that's why ;)
  • smart_594_9894smart_594_9894 Luv ko c gemski_16 PExer
    kaya siguro the doctor has given my dad a medication for his liver and his kidney, nagkaroon siya ng kumplikasyon due to MYRIN-P+. MYRIN ang name nung gamot niya... by the way, he is on his 6th month treatment already and as I can see it, he feels like in hell tuwing umeepekto na yung gamot after taking it ( about an hour later ).
    Periodic assessment of organ system is needed for long-term therapy especially in the liver and the kidneys for patients taking Ethambutol...It has effects like headache, visual disturbances or even acuity, but these effects will gradually disappear when medication is discontinued.
    :( Does that mean na pati yung liver and kidney niya eh malubha na rin? I mean may sakit na rin ba siya sa bato at sa atay? By the way, the doctor has given him medications for both atay and bato. I think nauna yata yung atay, o yung bato? hmmm... di ko matandaan... anyways, pag di naman siya umiinom ng gamot para sa lungs, di rin siya nakakaramdam ng sobrang sakit.;)
    Originally posted by smart_594_9894
    Does that mean na pati yung liver and kidney niya eh malubha na rin? I mean may sakit na rin ba siya sa bato at sa atay? By the way, the doctor has given him medications for both atay and bato.
    Hehehe :D hindi ganon ang basa dyan sa sinabi ko.
    Kung may malubha nang sakit sa atay o sa kidney ang Daddy mo eh di hindi papayag ang doktor na ituloy pa niya ang pag-inom ng Daddy mo ng Myrin. The medications for the liver and the kidneys are for the protection of these organs while your Dad is undergoing treatment.:)
    thanks for the enlightenment... at least nabawasan ang worries ko:) by the way, malakas siayng kumain, siguro dahil sa vitamin supplements na tini-take niya... Pero, bumabagksak pa rin ang katawan niya :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file