Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

michael moore's anti-bush movie 'FAHRENHEIT 9/11'

after last year's controversial 'Bowling for Columbine,' film director Michael Moore strikes again. this time against "psycho-president" George Bush. his new docu-movie Fahrenheit 9/11 reportedly received a 20-minute standing ovation at this year's Cannes Film Festival. according to Moore, the movie is being blocked from entering US cinemas. sa pilipinas, i-block din kaya sya ng Arroyo administration? but i guess the more important question is, "Fahrenheit 9/11 -- real or fabrication?"

The film-maker who wants to oust a president
By Raymond Andrew, TODAY

Already reeling from the damage of pictures of abuse from the Abu Ghraib prison, US President George Bush and his administration took a further hit yesterday with the release of a controversial movie titled Fahrenheit 9/11.

The man behind the movie, film-maker and left-wing activist Michael Moore, makes no attempt to disguise his intention.

The 50-year-old wants to inspire the American public to "get up and vote in November" and get rid of Mr Bush, whom he described to AFP as the "dumbest man who ever ran for the presidency".

The controversial film, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on Monday, has already shown its ability to elicit extreme responses.

Its first screening earned a 20-minute standing ovation, said to be the longest ever at the French festival. At the same time, some movie critics described it as a "wet firecracker", "outrageously manipulative" and "bafflingly selective in its material".

Fahrenheit 9/11 paints a deeply sinister conspiracy linking the war in Iraq to Bush's family's business relations with the defence industry and Saudi oil money. It also draws a connection between the Bush clan and members of Osama bin Laden's family.

The two-hour film also contains harrowing scenes of prisoner abuse and night-time surprise raids on Iraqi civilian homes. Moore, who also published two bestsellers that were aimed at "exposing" Bush, also shows footage of US soldiers expressing disillusionment with the war.

Previewing the movie, Moore said: "You will see things you have never seen before. Half the movie was about Iraq. We were able to get film crews embedded with American troops without them knowing that it was Michael Moore. They are totally f*****d."

Don't mistake him for a Democrat though. Another reason for this crusade is that he does not want to "leave this to the Democrats this time to **** up and lose."

Awarded an Oscar for his previous docudrama Bowling for Columbine - an equally controversial film on teenage shootings and the US gun lobby - Moore's latest salvo may never see the light of day in the US, at least legally.

Distributor Miramax, is being prevented from selling the movie by its parent company Disney - at the behest of White House, says Moore.

Moore alleges that the White House is running a campaign to stop the film from being distributed in the US before the November polls.

He vowed that Americans would see the documentary soon, even if it took illegal means and that once it was widely seen, Bush and his government would realise their political future is over.

Rate This Movie 29 votes

:D :D :D :D :D [b]Da Bomb![/b]
58% 17 votes
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: [b]Aprub[/b]
34% 10 votes
:) :) :) [b]Ok Lang[/b]
3% 1 vote
:bigyawn: :bigyawn: [b]Di Ko Type[/b]
3% 1 vote
:ayaw: [b]Ayaw Talaga![/b]
0% 0 votes

Comments

• here's another article from Herald Tribune in new york. it's a bit long but it gives details of the scenes/images shown in the movie. very much worth reading til the end -- http://www.iht.com/articles/521066.html
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    It's "in competition" sa Cannes 2004 if my memory serves me right.
  • I hope it will be shown here in the Philippines...
    but I doubt it
  • guinevere_79guinevere_79 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    BREAKING NEWS: This controversial film has just won the top prize at Cannes, the prestigious Palm D' Or. It's only the second time in the festival's history that a documentary has won the top prize.

Personally, I am pleased because I think Moore is an exceptional filmmaker. If Fahrenheit is as good as Bowling For Columbine, then the accolades are well-deserved.
  • I don't think Fahrenheit 9/11 will be shown in theaters here -- it's a documentary and they're never shown here unless there's a filmfest. In the 1st place, Bowling for Columbine also didn't have a run here... kaya palagay ko rin malabo talaga.

But if you have WOWOW, they are already airing Bowling for Columbine. I've seen it and no wonder it has received a lot accolades! V. powerful docu. I remember reading a comment about his acceptance speech during the Oscars where Bowling won for Best Docu, I think it was a British newspaper that said it was the first Great Truth of the 21st century.
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^
    ^
    Yep, I also got to watch Bowling for Columbine in Wowow. I believe it was shown last Wednesday at 12 noon. mIf I'm not mistaken also, Wowow shows his television every Wednesday 12 noon din.

When I watched him win at the Oscars, I thought he was nuts. I thought it was not a good stunt to pull off at such a glamourous evening. I felt it was not the correct avenue to pursue his advocacies...

But I got to watch his television show, and Bowling for Columbine last Wednesday. It was just dumbfounding-ly exceptional, one of the best films I've ever seen. If Fahrenheit 9/11 is half as good as Bowling, another Oscar should be in Moore's mantle next year.

I can't wait to watch it to see how damaging it is to Bush' presidency that the White House is pressuring Disney to pull the plug on its release. There must be something in there that's really, really disturbing and damaging to the Bush administration.
  • guinevere_79guinevere_79 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Bowling For Columbine is one of my favorite films of the past five years. I think Michael Moore is a genius.

Moore didn't ruffle any feathers with his acceptance speech at Cannes earlier. I guess he was much too overwhelmed with the situation to make any anti-Bush comments. Although he did make one anti-Republican jab somewhere in speech. Still, he was much more restrained this time. I'm sure he's quite happy that the film will surely be released in the U.S. now, even though Disney refused to release it under its Miramax division.
  • From Reuters:
    Asked what he [Moore] thought Bush's reaction might be to the award, he told a packed news conference: "He is probably choking on a pretzel or something. I hope nobody tells him that I have won this award while he is eating a pretzel."

Bush fainted in 2002 after choking on a pretzel while watching a football game on television.

"He has the funniest lines in the film. I am eternally grateful to him," Moore said.

Moore predicted that some right-wing media in the United States would portray the award as being given by France, one of the staunchest opponents of America's war in Iraq.

"The jury was not a French jury. This was an international jury dominated by Americans," he said.

And then he proudly quoted what cult director Quentin Tarantino -- the Cannes jury president -- had told him.

"He said: 'We want you to know that the politics of your film had nothing to do with the award. You were given the award because you made a great film.'"
  • spindoctorspindoctor PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Michael Moore is definitely on top of the game! Not only does he make eye-opening, socially provocative movies, he also writes some of the greatest books I have read thus far. If you guys are interested about his films, then you definitely have to read his Stupid White Men and Dude, Where's My Country?
    I hope ipalabas ito sa Makati Cinemanila sa August! :)

What are the chances of this film getting an Academy Award nomination next year?
  • livslivs PExer
    Hey, it won the Palme D'or.
    livs: onga eh! can't wait to see it... :up:
  • illuminaillumina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Anything anti-Bush has got to be good. :lol:
    illumina: :glee:

i'm wondering how this film got to be anti-bush.

i mean may direct criticisms kaya? :wondering:

can't wait to see it...
    SCENES FROM FAHRENHEIT 9/11...

Marine recruiters in Flint, Michigan approaching teenagers outside a shopping mall to enlist them in the military.

"Maybe we can get you a career in music, you know, let the Marines go for it. I'm sure you know who Shaggy is, right? How about a former Marine? Did you know that?"

recruiters.jpg

Michael Moore talking with Congressman John Tanner (D-TN) on Capitol Hill.

Michael Moore: "Oh, well, see, there's not that many Congressmen that've got kids over there, and in fact, only one. So we just thought maybe you guys should send your kids there first. What do you think about that idea?"
    911_1-small.jpg

Michael Moore is stopped by the Secret Service outside the Saudi Arabian embassy in Washington, D.C.

911_4.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.michaelmoore.com
  • I've seen his film, Bowling for Concubine, and its definitely good. Micheal Moore does not only present recent issue in the US but he also makes sure that people involve in these issues know what they are doing...
    Do you think FAHRENHEIT 9/11 will get an Oscar nomination?

:wondering:
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^
    ^
    Maybe. There was even some talk that Bowling for Columbine should not have won an Oscar, moreso nominated because it wasn't a documentary.
  • it won the Palme d'Or in CANNES! WOW!!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=1&u=/ap/20040523/ap_en_mo/france_cannes_moore_s_moment

tawa ako ng tawa doon sa bowling for columbine! libreng baril pag nag-open ng account sa isang bangko! :lol: natawa dina ako dun sa spoof niya ng "COPS" pero corporate criminals ang hinuhuli niya! :laugh:

sa WOWOW, minsan palabas mga docus niya! the best yung FICUS plant na ginawa nilang kandidato for CONGRESS! :rotfl: :up:
  • Originally posted by neth_row
    Yep, I also got to watch Bowling for Columbine in Wowow. I believe it was shown last Wednesday at 12 noon. mIf I'm not mistaken also, Wowow shows his television every Wednesday 12 noon din.

oo nga pala, Moore's tv show is called The Awful Truth at ang galing rin! Nakita ko rin yung pinatakbo nila yung Ficus Plant for Congress at nanalo ba naman, pero ayaw i-recognize na nanalo :hopeless:

I managed to see a small bit of Fahrenheit 9/11 on a chinese cable station, and it showed Bush playing golf, the background music was the Gogo's Vacation, and Moore's voiceover went that the eight months prior to 9/11, Bush was on holiday for 42% of the time. :eek:

and that's just the tip of the iceberg! i wonder how much more damaging the entire film is... the more the US gov't and film distributors repress the release of this film in america, the more ppl will be curious about it.