Home PEx Family and Society Realm of Thought
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Christians Strike Back

pollywogpollywog PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Christians Strike Back (PDI, Lifestlyle section 5/17/04)

Cracking Da Vinci's Code, by James L. Garlow and Peter Jones

Catholic and Protestant publishers have launched a crusade against the best-selling 'Da Vinci Code,' arguing that it is not just an innocent novel with a fascinating plot but a demonic demolition job on Christianity.

More than 10 books are being released, most in April and May, with titles that promise to break, crack, unlock or decode "The Da Vinci Code." Churches are offering pamphlets and study guides for readers who may have been promoted by the novel to question their faith. Large audiences are showing up for Da Vinci Code lectures and sermons...

Comments

• they question their faith for that?
  • cramnhojcramnhoj PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sheep always go where they're told to, even if it's a subtle way of telling them.
  • Heh, I'd still accept it if kids start forming covens because of Harry Potter...

...but this? These are grown-up mature adults, man!
  • Christians are always paranoid. I think that's the effect of their god-fearing. They should drink more of Jesus' blood - in the form of wine, of course.

:ballet:
  • Ooops. made a double post by mistake...

:drinker: :alcoholic: :cheers: :drink2:

Peace to Christians out there!

:hippie:
  • nerbyoso naman masyado, :glee: .
  • pollywogpollywog PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Crusade mode" on: ...defend christianity at ALL cost!
  • not just an innocent novel with a fascinating plot but a demonic demolition job on Christianity.

Not an innocent novel?
    I'm almost certain the author never meant it to be 'innocent'.

Fascinating plot?
    Maybe. Maybe not. Really depends on how good a writer the author is, no?

Demolition job?
    Probably. It's about time somebody exposed modern-day 'Christianity' for the artificial, institutionalized religion that it has become ever since the Council of Nicea censorship body decided to decide which portions of the original Christian writings to preserve and which to throw away. The Da Vinci code is not the first book to talk about this. It just happens to have caught the popular eye this time.

Demonic?
    Heh. That's always the fallback term fundies use for any credible attempt that contradicts and undermines their dogma.
  • Demolition job?[i/]
    Probably. It's about time somebody exposed modern-day 'Christianity' for the artificial, institutionalized religion that it has become ever since the Council of Nicea censorship body decided to decide which portions of the original Christian writings to preserve and which to throw away. The Da Vinci code is not the first book to talk about this. It just happens to have caught the popular eye this time.

1. the Council of Nicaea was not a "censorship body." it was formed to answer a specific question of doctrine, particularly the Arian/Athanasian doctrines, plus a few others.

2. the Council of Nicaea was not the council that determined the Canon of New Testament Scripture (if that's what you meant by the 'decide which portions' bit). that was the Council of Hippo in 393 AD.

3. yes, the Da Vinci Code is not the first to talk about this, but it IS the first such book to gain immense popularity as a work of fiction. also, the fact that it presents itself as fiction and delivers its "information" intertwined with what is essentially a romantic adventure novel, most readers never bother to find out for themselves just how true/false Brown's claims are. they just take for granted that since it was printed/is so popular/has great reviews, it can't be false.
    Demonic?
    Heh. That's always the fallback term fundies use for any credible attempt that contradicts and undermines their dogma.

though i would disagree with the label, i don't disagree with the implications Brown brings to the table with his book.
    Originally posted by Frank_Mackey
    Demolition job?

Actually, as ealry as A.D. 120, it alreadfy IS an issue!

Basilides, an Alexandrian scholar is supposed to have written no less than 24 commentaries on the gospels. He claimed that the crucifixion was a fraud, that Jesus did not die on the cross, and that a substitute, Simon of Cyrene took His place instead...As late as the seventh century the Koran maintained precisely the same argument.
  • is this the full article on PDI? meron pa kaya nito online? btw, u have any idea what those books are? i mean the ones published as Christians' response to the Da Vinci Code? thanks alot! to polywog
    No, it's not the full article on PDI. They haven't posted it online.

As for the said books, I think they have a thread on 'Arts and Literature'. I can only remember one, Cracking Da Vinci's Code. The other was Da Vinci Code: Facts and Fallacies (I think).
  • orayt! thanks!