Home PEx Family and Society Family, Friends and Society

Is Chivalry Dead???

I would like to ask the men and women out there if they still believe in good old chivalrous ways. It seems that in this present day and age, the word lives in much less than a booger of the men around. Speak your mind!

Comments

• BadGiRLBadGiRL PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    no...chivalry is not dead at all.. it's in a coma... sometimes u will be lucky to encounter gentlemen on ur way thru the drab routines of everyday life...but more often u'll encounter scums who had obviously never been taught by their mothers the proper conduct of a guy around a girl..... but chivalry is not YET dead...
  • I was raised by a mom and two older sisters. Needless to say, growing up i was force fed with the belief that all women should be treated like a princess. But doesn't it take two to tango? Okay, so we all know that men should be chivalrous and gallant at all times, but what about the women? If chivalrous men are very close to extinction, you must admit, so are women that act like true princesses.
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Jepoy: Enlighten me please. What do you mean when you say more women should act like princesses?
  • Ada: If women long for men with all the qualities of a gentleman, we men also long for women that still posses the manners of a true lady (atleast i still do). I mean, ofcourse, i'm not holding my breath at the thought of Maria Clara knocking at my door any time soon, but to meet a woman that is demure, refined, well mannered, and very ladylike would be just as good. Is that too much to ask for, in this day of age?
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I don't think so. I think that a lot of males are just afraid that if they act chivalrous with a female, they might get dissed for being patronizing, what with women's liberation and all. For all they know, if they open a door for someone they might get slapped for it or be called a sexist pig.

On the other hand, there are also some males who don't even know the concept of chivalry.

• Jepoy, I agree with you that it should be equal. Women today should not be carried away with equal rights and being liberated. I still think they should be refined,poised but ready to take any challenge that comes our way. I don't expect men today to be chivalrous and gallant. In fact if a man opens the car door for me, I know that this guy is special (and his mother taught him well!!) Trust me, it really is pogi points.
    So all I can ask is that for those women out there who will have sons in the future... teach them to be gentlemen.
  • Chivalry is very much alive, in my opinion. All the guys I hang out with or the guys whom I encounter every day are perfect gentlemen...very well-mannered, polite, and respectful towards women.

Chivalry may be dead in the Western world or even in other Asian countries, but not in the Philippines...Filipino men are the most chivalrous guys I've ever met.
  • You know, I still believe in chivalry. In fact I still believe in many of the old ways of doing things. It is a fact that men today lean towards the western ways and the same goes for the women, but it is no excuse to rid us of all the old ways. I like what I read in the lady has a lot to do with the being chivalrous of men, but men out there should not break despite the fast change that women do. Its no excuse. Some of my friends in fact say that I'm too imaculate and crap like that because they don't believe in the stuff anymore. Well for me I really don't care, because out there some lady will appreciate all that I'm worth eventhough it does take a while.
  • Chivalry can never be dead...
  • Chivalry needs a partner---a lady!

You cannot be chivalrous when you are around people who does not show refine habits or gentleness in their manners as expected from good culture and virtuous upringing.

If chivalry seems to be dead, it is because you are failing to nurture it yourself. Act like you deserve one and you will see it come alive again.
  • I guess one of the reasons people may think chivalry is dead is because women sometimes take it for granted. When a guy opens a door for her or pulls out a chair for her, she doesn't bother to thank him. I know guys like to be appreciated, and if they're not, they stop doing all those chivalrous deeds.

I guess we girls should thank them for treating us chivalrously, so that they will be able to know that we really do appreciate their efforts and continue to treat us like ladies. That's why I make it a point to always say "thank you" when a guy opens a door for me, etc. That way, guys continue to treat me in a chivalrous manner.
  • I guess it depends on what you think chivalry means. Its not really dead, if you mean the open doors for women thing. I agree with Kyla, women should thank guys if they're doing a chivalrous thing, as long as the intention is good (you know what I mean).

Sometimes the chivalry thing is taken way too far though. Like in the LRT, in the mornings there is a special lane meant for disabled people, and WOMEN. The bad thing is that majority is there are more women riding the lrt, so by the time I get to ride the lrt (im not allowed at that lane since I ride the LRT with a male (my bro)) the train is already full of women with seats and I end up standing. The management explains it as "chivalry and respect to women", but come on. I'm a girl and I can survive getting pushed just to get a ride on the train. Oops, I'm going way off topic here. =)

• I would have to agree with BadGirl... it's not dead.. it's just in a coma...
  • do you guys know real chivalry from "the best foot forward". I hate the former big time man!
  • I must agree with the following post :beam:
    Originally posted by BadGiRL:

no...chivalry is not dead at all.. it's in a coma... sometimes u will be lucky to encounter gentlemen on ur way thru the drab routines of everyday life...but more often u'll encounter scums who had obviously never been taught by their mothers the proper conduct of a guy around a girl..... but chivalry is not YET dead...
  • Originally posted by Fortes in Fide
    Chivalry needs a partner---a lady!

You cannot be chivalrous when you are around people who does not show refine habits or gentleness in their manners as expected from good culture and virtuous upringing.

If chivalry seems to be dead, it is because you are failing to nurture it yourself. Act like you deserve one and you will see it come alive again.

err.......

does a NEED to have doors opened what makes a WOMAN a LADY?
  • Bea19Bea19 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    makikita mo ang chivalry pa din dun sa mga nakaktandang guys e. Lalo na pag rush hor at punong puno ang bus. Makikita mo puro mga lalake ang nakaupo tapos kahit may mga matatandang babae di pa din nila inooffer ang seat nila. Sa cgro 100 or more times kong pagsakay sa bus from Las Pnas to taft cgro less than 4 x ko pa lang nakitang may nagoofer na guy ng seat sa girls. haaayy! Ako nga girl pag may nakita akong matanda inooffer ko yung seat ko e.
  • Originally posted by Bea19:

makikita mo ang chivalry pa din dun sa mga nakaktandang guys e. Lalo na pag rush hor at punong puno ang bus. Makikita mo puro mga lalake ang nakaupo tapos kahit may mga matatandang babae di pa din nila inooffer ang seat nila. Sa cgro 100 or more times kong pagsakay sa bus from Las Pnas to taft cgro less than 4 x ko pa lang nakitang may nagoofer na guy ng seat sa girls. haaayy! Ako nga girl pag may nakita akong matanda inooffer ko yung seat ko e.

I know! :shakehead: I've also witnessed such crudeness in men nowadays! On my morning train ride commutes to work i've noticed men ignore or barely acknowledge older or even pregnant women just so that they could keep their seats! :shrug:

These are elderly and pregnant women!!! for goodness sake! :shakehead: So, I kindly offer my seat to these women, since the act of chivalry seems to be obsolete amongst those men! tsk! tsk! tsk!

*sigh*
  • from dictionary.com:

chiv·al·ry Pronunciation Key (shvl-r)
    n. pl. chiv·al·ries

The medieval system, principles, and customs of knighthood.

The qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery, courtesy, honor, and gallantry toward women.
    A manifestation of any of these qualities.

A group of knights or gallant gentlemen.

chivalrys long gone, along with the real ladies that deserve such treatment.
  • Originally posted by SuKiYaKi
    I know! :shakehead: I've also witnessed such crudeness in men nowadays! On my morning train ride commutes to work i've noticed men ignore or barely acknowledge older or even pregnant women just so that they could keep their seats! :shrug:

These are elderly and pregnant women!!! for goodness sake! :shakehead: So, I kindly offer my seat to these women, since the act of chivalry seems to be obsolete amongst those men! tsk! tsk! tsk!

*sigh*

well congratulations! you deserve a key to the city you live in. they ought to name a street after you for that genuine act of kindness.

you know a lot of those men on that train just goes about their business, some of them up all night working graveyard shift so he can pay the bills. some of them agonizing about having to go to their measly jobs. tough! if a person allows her/himself to grow that old without a pension plan and a car, tough! if a pregnant chick has to get on the train to get to wherever, tough! one of the things she shouldve thought about before getting knocked up. the rest of the people in this world are under no obligation to make it better for them.

if you want to give up your seat, fine, more power to you. but dont condemn those men who wont because theyre just going about their day.