Home PEx Campus The Academe

UP shares top honors with Cambridge at Jean Pictet Concours 2004

Breaking News:

The UP Law Debate Team, composed of Diane Desierto, Ruben Acebedo and Neil Silva, tied up with the Cambridge University Debate Team for the championship of the Jean Pictet 2004 International Humanitarian Law Moot Court Competition concluded yesterday at 2 a.m. Manila time in Nimes, France.

The Champions in the English session of the Jean Pictet Concours will face off with the winning team in the French Session in July this year in Geneva.

Seventy nine teams from around the world participated in the English Session of the Moot Court.

UP and Cambridge had been neck and neck in the finals round. The two teams tied for the championship after beating teams from the New York University of the United States, the Centre for International Humanitarian Law in Geneva,Switzerland the University of Georgia in Tiblisi, and the Utrecht University in the Netherlands.

"We've been through a lot just to get there," said The UP Law Debate Team Coach, Prof. H. Harry Roque, who teaches international law," the team worked hard for this, to bring honor to the country, and yes, to the UP College of Law."

He said the team expected rough sailing in the championship round, which consisted primarily of extemporaneous moot court proceedings, unlike the first phases of the competition, which had role-playing sessions, among other things.

"But the team made it, despite the short time they had for preparations."

This is the first time that the Philippines is represented in the Jean Pictet Concours, considered one of the most challenging, if not the most challenging, moot court competition today.

Two Philippine teams competed for honors - the Ateneo and the UP teams. Ateneo however, was eliminated early on in the heats.

The competition requires mastery of many fields of international law, from the traditional domain of public international law to international environmental law and international human rights and humanitarian law.

Comments

• mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    gundamit, i'm sick and tired of hearing about two or three of each contest wherein the winner is either UP, ateneo or UST!
  • Here's a more complete article in the Manila Bulletin for those interested:

http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2004/04/19/MTNN200404197592.html

mac_bolan00: If you're sick and tired of it, then I suggest you don't click on the link. :D Personally whether it's UP, Ateneo or UST, we should just be happy that Filipinos can be world-class.
    um, i think i know a lot of filipinos who ARE world class.
  • Good for you mac, good for you. :p
  • Mac naman, Cambridge na nga ito, ini-ismall mo pa rin. ;)
  • Most Cambridge students that I personally met are as down-to-earth as the UP students.

Congrats to the two of the greatest universities on earth, UP and Cambridge!!! Equally prestigious universities now sharing accolades and praises in the debating world. More to come from both these two wold-class unis.
  • kapitangkikokapitangkiko PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by DURHAM
    Most Cambridge students that I personally met are as down-to-earth as the UP students.

Congrats to the two of the greatest universities on earth, UP and Cambridge!!! Equally prestigious universities now sharing accolades and praises in the debating world. More to come from both these two wold-class unis.

AMEN to that!
  • Ang galing!

Congrats to the University of the Philippines. You made us Filipinos proud once again!!
  • Naked_SalvationNaked_Salvation Moderator PEx Moderator
    congratz!!!

*okay*
  • Originally posted by jj9527
    Congrats to the University of the Philippines. You made us Filipinos proud once again!!
    In all fairness, though, Andrew Fornier and the Ateneo Law School team won the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition for the Philippines, beating a similarly star-studded international law student field.
  • Originally posted by Oscar01
    In all fairness, though, Andrew Fornier and the Ateneo Law School team won the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition for the Philippines, beating a similarly star-studded international law student field.
    That's true. But I think this is a great achievement primarily because (a) it's the first time UP or any Filipino team for that matter competed in this competition and (b) it's the first time a Filipino team has won this competition.

As previously stated in the other thread, both UP and Ateneo have been competing in Jessup for quite a long time and UP was the first Filipino university to win Jessup. A pioneering feat it's followed up by winning this one. :) Both achievements should make Filipinos proud.
  • Exactly. Take the two prestigious competitions in the same year...
  • kapitangkikokapitangkiko PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    But why harp about Jessup when this is a thread about JPC? Surely there's been a thread about that?...
    hold on! i just noticed it. the debate team was the one sent to compete in moot court????
  • ocnarfocnarf PEx Rookie ⭐
    Congratz UP!you make us really proud!

proud to be from UP!
  • Originally posted by Oscar01
    Exactly. Take the two prestigious competitions in the same year...
    Take the two prestigious competitions in the same year, then what?
  • Originally posted by mac_bolan00
    hold on! i just noticed it. the debate team was the one sent to compete in moot court????
    The UP College of Law has their own debate team (the UP Law Debate Union) that competes primarily in moot court competitions.
    oh i see.
  • The debate union has nothing to do with the moot court tryouts though.
  • excellent!